Having fun with quadtones

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by Mikros, Feb 3, 2014.

1. Mikros

Mikros Mu-43 Regular

Jul 16, 2013
    Australia
    Inspired by "Refinery quads" thread, I did play a little bit with Topaz Simplify plugin. Photos taken with Oly 40-150mm.

12299460396_6736e21bde_b.
    Listening by ladislavmiklos, on Flickr

12299055803_e622059c42_b.
    Sentinel on the Hill by ladislavmiklos, on Flickr

I like the effect. I used to do a lot of pastel/ink/pencil artwork by hand - this one marries my photo and drawing hobby.

• Like Like x 6
  2. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    i am inspiration! *checks off bucket list*

i love them, of course! :D
    the second one, with the more washed out tones reminds me of... dune?... is that it? a scifi show i saw as a kid, and everything was those same tones. i like!

i agree with the quadtoning helping to blend together 2 forms of art

i cant draw or paint well, but doing crazy processing makes me feel like an artist, which feels more ME than just being a photographer. tho i greatly enjoy that as well!
    the camera is just my paintbrush, or my canvas... wait.. or is it the paint? omg im so lost in my metaphor...

i always wonder if using the quadtones is/should help me with b&w conversions. the first slider setting yer black pt, the 4th yer white pt, and the 2nd and 3rd setting the middle tones. it FEELS like i should be learning a lot about b&w toning in imagery. i wonder if i am!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Mikros

Mikros Mu-43 Regular

Jul 16, 2013
    Australia
    Yeh, I remember The Dune. Cool movie, may watch it again.

Funny thing is when I draw I prefer cold colors. A lot of my pastel work is done on (mostly) black or very deep dark blue paper and use only three colors for the subject - white, gray and light blue. May take a photo of couple of them and post it here to illustrate it.

The B&W quad conversion crossed my mind, but never actually tried it. I'll give it a go.

Ten years ago I discovered the Painter sowtware (Corel bought it, I don't remember the original mob). I did fair bit of digital art with it, but it always looked too "digital" although the it simulated the classic paint techniques extremely well. So I progressed on taking a P&S photos, convert them to faint line art in PS and printed on my paper to give me the outlines. Then painted over it - mostly pastel, oil pastel and inks. Had to compromise on paper quality as my inkjet printer could not take the thick and textured papers.

Since I bought the Oly I'm trying to take the classic photograps, you now, proper bokeh, sharpnes, exposure - the lot, but my bias towards graphics id definitely creeping in. Love the black and white, as a teenager used to develop my films and prints in bathroom temporarily converted to darkroom. Lots of fun.

I believe I will never grow into a serious photographer, but hey I'm having fun and that's what counts.

Cheers.

• Like Like x 1