1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Having fun with quadtones

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by Mikros, Feb 3, 2014.

1. Mikros

Mikros Mu-43 Regular

Jul 16, 2013
    Australia
    Inspired by "Refinery quads" thread, I did play a little bit with Topaz Simplify plugin. Photos taken with Oly 40-150mm.

12299460396_6736e21bde_b.
    Listening by ladislavmiklos, on Flickr

12299055803_e622059c42_b.
    Sentinel on the Hill by ladislavmiklos, on Flickr

I like the effect. I used to do a lot of pastel/ink/pencil artwork by hand - this one marries my photo and drawing hobby.

• Like Like x 6
  2. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    i am inspiration! *checks off bucket list*

i love them, of course! :D
    the second one, with the more washed out tones reminds me of... dune?... is that it? a scifi show i saw as a kid, and everything was those same tones. i like!

i agree with the quadtoning helping to blend together 2 forms of art

i cant draw or paint well, but doing crazy processing makes me feel like an artist, which feels more ME than just being a photographer. tho i greatly enjoy that as well!
    the camera is just my paintbrush, or my canvas... wait.. or is it the paint? omg im so lost in my metaphor...

i always wonder if using the quadtones is/should help me with b&w conversions. the first slider setting yer black pt, the 4th yer white pt, and the 2nd and 3rd setting the middle tones. it FEELS like i should be learning a lot about b&w toning in imagery. i wonder if i am!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Mikros

Mikros Mu-43 Regular

Jul 16, 2013
    Australia
    Yeh, I remember The Dune. Cool movie, may watch it again.

Funny thing is when I draw I prefer cold colors. A lot of my pastel work is done on (mostly) black or very deep dark blue paper and use only three colors for the subject - white, gray and light blue. May take a photo of couple of them and post it here to illustrate it.

The B&W quad conversion crossed my mind, but never actually tried it. I'll give it a go.

Ten years ago I discovered the Painter sowtware (Corel bought it, I don't remember the original mob). I did fair bit of digital art with it, but it always looked too "digital" although the it simulated the classic paint techniques extremely well. So I progressed on taking a P&S photos, convert them to faint line art in PS and printed on my paper to give me the outlines. Then painted over it - mostly pastel, oil pastel and inks. Had to compromise on paper quality as my inkjet printer could not take the thick and textured papers.

Since I bought the Oly I'm trying to take the classic photograps, you now, proper bokeh, sharpnes, exposure - the lot, but my bias towards graphics id definitely creeping in. Love the black and white, as a teenager used to develop my films and prints in bathroom temporarily converted to darkroom. Lots of fun.

I believe I will never grow into a serious photographer, but hey I'm having fun and that's what counts.

Cheers.

• Like Like x 1