1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Have you visited mu-43.com lately?

Discussion in 'Help and Feedback' started by Herman, Feb 28, 2010.

1. Herman

Herman Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Hi, I noticed that 43rumors.com shows an article entitled:
    "Have you visited E-P1.net lately?" (Feb 28) With link to their site.

To get more mu43 members I suggest to send an email message to Ale from 43rumors to post an article about this great mu-43 forum.

What you think?:wink:

Comments are welcome. Thanks in advance.

Have a nice day.
    Kind regards, Herman

2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Thanks for suggesting that to them Herman :smile:. The owner of e-p1.net is one of the authors of 43rumors.com, so naturally 43rumors is going to market extensively for e-p1.net. They did mention us once, which was nice.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Herman

Herman Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Thanks Amin. Can I post at dpreview to make make people to visit this forum?

Kind regards, Herman

4. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Interesting - 43rumors is one of the most successful attempts I've seen to make money out of blogging... and still manages to get loads of references / traffic via dpreview posts.

I am impressed by their entrepreneurship!

Cheers

Brian

5. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Herman, I wouldn't recommend it. The DPR administration have a strongly anti-competitive stance. At mu-43, we believe that the only way to keep our members is to make mu-43 a useful and enjoyable place to spend time. At DPR, they believe that an important part of keeping members is to prevent them from discovering other forums. It's a very 20th century concept. Of course it is Phil and company's right as a private enterprise to behave this way, and I believe that we should respect their guidelines, but I don't see this being an effective strategy for them in the long run. Imagine if Facebook didn't allow members to link to Twitter. No one would stand for that.

If anyone wants to bring attention to mu-43.com from other forums, I suggest that you do it in a way that is acceptable to the site admin of that forum and serves a purpose other than just redirecting traffic to us. If in doubt, you can always ask a site moderator/admin if it's okay to post the link. I'll save you the trouble of asking at DPR - they won't even reply to you.

As for linking in a way that serves a purpose other than just redirecting traffic, what I mean by that is that most forums won't like it if you simply post "Check out this other forum, mu-43..." However, if you find that certain content, like a particular discussion thread here at mu-43 is particularly useful or interesting, you can post a nice discussion about that thread in the other forum and then link to it as a reference. Another thing which I think is reasonable is to put a link to your mu-43 gallery or blog in your sig on another forum. Lots of people share links to their gallery and/or blog in their sig lines, and I don't see any reason why mu-43 galleries and/or blogs should be excluded from that.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    My advice would be to e-mail or recommend people you know/like/trust personally - inviting them to join you here.

The big forums are all about numbers and looking for advertising revenue / freebies from manufacturers to conduct reviews / visit exotic launches... I'm hoping this place will be more about people connecting in a really positive vibe. So far I think we're on the right track :yahoo:

Cheers

Brian

• Like Like x 1
  7. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I've been on dpreview for 4 or 5 years now. Lately, I've just grown cold to the forum.

• Like Like x 1
  8. cstevens

cstevens Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 11, 2010
    UK
    A slightly sneaky way would be for current members to put in their signatures on other forums links to their online galleries on mu-43.com.

This way we are not actually officially promoting mu-43.com, but the flip side is we are raising awareness :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Herman

Herman Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Hi everyone, thanks for the replies!
    Maybe I can create a poll about what's your number one (mft) forum?

What you think?
    Have a nice day.
    Kind regards, Herman

10. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I assume you are talking about creating such a poll somewhere else? I wouldn't recommend that. Forum admins get sensitive about that sort of thing. Certainly wouldn't be welcome at DPR.

I agree with Brian that personal word of mouth is a powerful tool. Some of our members with blogs have also used that to spread the word, which is much appreciated.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Herman

Herman Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Thanks Amin.

Best regards, Herman