Have you run into anyone using a Micro Four Thirds

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by DuaneO, Jun 6, 2011.

1. DuaneO

DuaneO Mu-43 Rookie

May 19, 2011
    I have traveled all over the world, been on cruise ships, at amusement centers, museums and zoos/aquariums... I have never seen another individual using a MFT system. I look for them and wonder why I don't see them.

In fact folks walk up to me asking about the camera I'm using frequently. Most times I've adapted the camera with a legacy lens... They are interested if the camera is worth the money and are they as good as the Canon's and Nikon's.

Maybe I'm the only one, have you had the same experience?? Do you run into other users too. Do folks ask you about your system??
  2. photoSmart42

photoSmart42 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    MTF? To test lens sharpness?

Edit: Ah, OK. MFT. Didn't want to assume. Yes, I've seen a few people with GF's. Haven't seen anyone with G's or GH's. Seen more folks with EP's than GF's. Overall still a VERY small percentage of the photo-taking population I've run into. I tend to look at what people are using, and in terms of popularity I'd say Canon is the most prevalent camera manufacturer I see, followed closely by Nikon, then nobody else of notable mention. A few NEX's on occasion here and there, a few Olympus FT's rarely. From what I've observed, I don't see the claimed market penetration that mirrorless makers are claiming.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. mymaccrashes

mymaccrashes New to Mu-43

Mar 6, 2011
    I have run into one before, but I have run into more Canon and Nikon owners. Makes sense though, can't change the world overnight. Word of mouth is much greater for those cameras than four thirds.
    Give it time, they are getting a foothold in the market.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. anidel

anidel Mu-43 Regular

May 13, 2011
    Twickenham, Uk
    I've run into Nex cameras (very easy to spot). Lumix Mu4/3 but still haven't found a Oly user yet.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    @OP: Thanks for changing the thread title. I was confused about the MFT acronym and thinking the same thing as Dragos, lol.

I'm the local Olympus rep in my city, so I come across a lot of people who tell me when they see me that they have an Olympus PEN camera, or that they're getting one (I never hear of anyone who had one and got rid of it). However, I don't see MFT cameras as I'm around doing my business or on shooting assignments. Only Canon and Nikon cameras. But of course, I'm a commercial photographer so I don't usually run into other photographers on assignments. I'm contracted to be "the photographer", not covering areas where other photographers would be. :)
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    That's doing better than me. I don't run into NEX or Lumix cameras either. Around here it's all Nikon and Canon DSLRs, mostly entry-level.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I think that penetration is only in Japan and other parts of the world. North America, where both of us live, is incredibly stuck on SLRs and always has been. Which is why the original single-frame PEN series wasn't so big here, but the OM series SLR was marketed for us. Olympus HAD to make an SLR for the North American market, because the North American market would buy nothing else.

I'm just glad I'm not so pig-headed and unmoving, because I've honestly found a lot more freedom since moving to Micro Four-Thirds.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. anidel

anidel Mu-43 Regular

May 13, 2011
    Twickenham, Uk
    Yeah, been seeing plenty of Canon/Nikon entry (and some not) people here in Montreal.

But just this Saturday spotted a few Nex and one girl with a Lumix (that I think was a GFsomething)
    • Like Like x 1
  9. brunerww

Mar 5, 2011
    I've been looking since I got my GH2 last December and I haven't seen a single one in places frequented by camera-toting tourists (San Francisco and Disneyland, for example). I have had DSLR folks come up to me and ask what kind of camera that I'm shooting with, but I have not run into any fellow m4/3 shooters -- and I carry the camera with me almost everywhere I go.

I happen to be an ethnic minority -- this is a lot like that :)
    • Like Like x 1
  10. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    Once in San Francisco ... we had a chat.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Toonman

Toonman Mu-43 Regular

Jul 19, 2010
    Just had a weekend trip to London. There were swarms of Nikon and Canon. I saw only two mft cameras. One was a G2 and the other an Epl1 and this was out of hundreds if not thousands of cameras. The most popular seemed to be Nikon D3000 or 31000.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. raviliousness

raviliousness Mu-43 Rookie

May 23, 2011
    Reading, UK
    Hi all,

Just got my GF1 a few weeks ago and in two trips to London have spotted 2xNEX and 3xEPs so far - all with kit lenses as far as I could tell.

But yes mostly folk with CanNik, mostly entry level.

Apart from a visit to the London Wetlands Centre (habitat for wetland bird life) - where it was full of pro level CanNiks with enormous huge fast lenses. Did I mention HUGE?!:eek:

Still I've converted a happy colleague so that's two newcomers to the format in 3 weeks!!
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Never seen another m4/3 in the wild, not been queried about mine. The only reaction was from a work colleague who thought my E-P1 was an old collectable film camera that I'd bought off eBay.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. nikki

nikki Mu-43 Regular

Aug 2, 2010
    dublin ireland
    I live in Dublin and sell photography and paintings in a market that is frequented with tourists.
    Most Americans have DSLR s the bigger the better, most europeans have point and shoot and nearly all the asians have mft s.:rolleyes:
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    On one single visit to NYC.

Elevator in the Gramercy east: Asian fellow pointed at my GF1 and said... great camera.

Idyea Bar SoHo: guy at the bar carrying an Oly 4/3 system. Took a picture of me holding the GF1.

Crumpler Store SoHo: EPL (something) user browsing the Crumpler bags. We spoke for a few minutes. He was not aware that the Panny lenses fit his camera.

I stuck my 45-200 on his PEN, he walked outside and took a few shots.

Since then.... nada.

• Like Like x 1
  16. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    I did a lot of camera snooping during a recent week-long stint at Disney World. Lots of bridge cams (Oly was very well represented, which surprised me), lots of Canon Rebels and Nikon D3100/3000s, one NEX (spent 20 mins in line talking gear with it's owner, a former GF1 user) and one E-PL1. Wife had the PEN and at least two lenses; husband had a Canon T2i.

It seems pretty obvious that market penetration of :43: has not really occurred in the US with the exception of the market subset who are "in to" photography. The average person who wants to step up from a P&S is still going to Best Buy or Amazon and really locking in on Canon/Nikon. There are more bridge cams than ever to choose from, with crazy zoom ranges, that seem to be getting attention. Smaller P&S cams seem to be suffering, as cell phone cams erode that end of the market.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Covey22

Covey22 Mu-43 Regular

May 3, 2011
    New England, USA
    I have run into a few Olympus PEN owners on the streets in Newport, Providence and Boston. One of my photography mentors was the first shooter I knew to get the GF1 hot off the shelves when it was released. The market penetration is not deep yet, but it is coming.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    I've run into quite a few.

Two folks I know personally are users (one is an EP2 user, the other is an EPL1). I ran into someone using a GH2 on a random walk in the woods. Another friend of mine has a GF1, though I haven't seen it, but I've seen his results, so I know he uses it.

I've also seen a couple of Sony a33/55, though not sure they qualify as "mirrorless."

I saw a NEX user (NEX5) at the Smithsonian Air & Space this spring.

Those are the ones off the top of my head. I think there were a couple others.

By far, the most common DSLRs I see in my area are older Canon XT or XTi kits and the smaller Nikons (D3000, etc.).
    • Like Like x 1
  19. IIGQ4U

IIGQ4U Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2011
    La Jolla CA
    I have seen one thus far... It was an Olympus.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. iliakoltsov

iliakoltsov Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2010
    I do see sometimes tourists around paris walking with M4/3 gear. It seems that M4/3 is selling a lot better in asia than in europe. Then again it is nowhere near comparable to the amount of people you see with Canon or Nikon.
    • Like Like x 1