Have You Recruited Anyone to Mu43 Photography.

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Gyles, Dec 12, 2012.

1. Gyles

Gyles Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2012
    Sunny Norfolk, UK
    Travelographer and self confessed Hexaholic
    Has anyone else influenced others into MFT.

Both my sons are impressed with my kit and pictures. In September we gave our youngest an EPL1 and for Chritmas a GX1 for our eldest.

2. brokken

brokken Mu-43 Regular

Aug 25, 2012
    I've had lots of people compliment my E-M5 and even some folks that recognized it as one of those four-cameras (micro-four thirds? Yeah, that's it!). I don't know anyone personally who's gone out and purchased one, but definitely the awareness is percolating into the population at large. :)

3. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    Not yet...I might at some point. The problem is that the most potential people I could recruit don't change gear very often at all. For example, my father went from Nikon FE2 to a Sony CD Mavica finally to a Nikon D90 last year. By the time he feels the need for a new camera again, who knows where things will be...

4. woof

woof Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    The present.
    By extension. Briefed a friend who has a 7D and is moving towards full frame. He in turn briefed a friend of his who was looking for cameras and it seems that the friend of a friend ordered up an EM-5.

woof!

5. Zariell

Zariell Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    Bountiful, UT
    Well I've recruited my wife, my son, and unfortunately my father... I tend to get people asking about my camera all the time, usually because they think I'm still shooting film with my silver camera :p

6. Chronos

Chronos Mu-43 Regular

Oct 18, 2012
    Colorado
    Chris
    I bought my ex girlfriend an Olympus Pen, and all she did was bitch about it. Somehow it was too hard to figure out.

I have several friends who are photographers, so far they all seem to think I made a lousy decision, however they all admit they know nothing about m43.

7. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Yup - and there will be more, too

Couple of folks.

Also, I can't seem to resist the urge to proselytize while walking by the camera counter in Walmart, etc. Even whip out the old E-P1 and let them play sometimes.

8. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    I used to try, but now I don't even care anymore; they always end up buying a Nikon or Canon anyway. And then they don't use them due to size and complexity. Go figure.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    I presented my niece with a Panasonic G1 (purchased on closeout) for her birthday. This was two years ago. She loves it and the Lumix 14-45mm zoom. She's getting my Lumix 45-200 zoom this month and may get my G3 body if I decide to upgrade.

10. Omega

Omega Mu-43 Regular

Oct 3, 2012
    My dad, but only so we can share lenses and equipment. He wanted higher image quality without having to lug the T3 I used to have, so after I introduced him to the new camera I was looking at (The OM-D......which I will have to wait 'till after Christmas to get), he seemed interested enough to look into it.

11. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    It took a while but I did make a convert out of my wife (OM-D) and brother (G3). My wife lens collection is complete (7-14/4, PL25, PL 45/2.8 macro, and 45-175). We live apart and can only share lenses on occasion.

12. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Not so much, unless ya count the review I posted on Amazon. Some kind folks have tagged that as "helpful".

I don't know anyone personally who's using :43:.

A friend who shoots Canon gear was only mildly curious; he doesn't find the Canon APS-C gear too heavy to use and has the glass he needs for his shooting so there's no "there" there for him :biggrin:.

Regards,

Jim

13. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    My dad and brother both shoot MFTs because of me. A couple other friends as well.

14. iGonzoid

iGonzoid Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 6, 2011
    Tasmania, Australia
    A pro friend who has used Nikons most of his long life, recently bought one of the Pana Gs [not sure which one] after seeing my GH2 and the results from the PL 45 macro. Like me he is using legacy 35mm lenses via an adaptor. And he was contemplating updating to the latest Nikon but the cost of the m43 system decided him otherwise.

15. powderbanks

powderbanks Mu-43 Regular

Dec 7, 2012
    north carolina
    one of my friend's was in film school, and asked me about the gh1 i had been using. it was right when the gh2 was coming out and told him to get one of them. after he got that and i got to try his, i got a gh2..it's a vicious cycle..

• Like Like x 1
  16. LeoS

LeoS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2012
    Shared the pros and cons of OM-D to my sister and a cousin. They both sport their own OM-Ds now :) My brother wants one too, but I think he's waiting for his next trip to get one.

EDIT: brother-in-law just went on board with OM-D, along with his NEX-7. I'll help him setup the OM-D and show up with a couple of lenses to make sure the NEX-7 is sidelined :biggrin:

17. Roger

Roger Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2011
    Western PA
    After I bought my G2, my daughter started using it to photograph her kids. She ended up buying a PL1 and likes it. Most of her use is on the family.

18. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    IMHO,
    Panasonic has the upperhand (menu system wise) when it comes to converting indviduals with either only point and shoot experience or DSLR experience....

Disclaimer: My opinion....:biggrin:

19. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I've recruited a couple, one that I sold my E-Pl1 and another who liked my E-P3 and decided to order one from Cameta. :biggrin:

20. snkenai

snkenai Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    My daughter-in-law bought one first, then I got into m4/3. I got my daughter into it.