Have you noticed?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by YouDidntDidYou, Mar 8, 2012.

1. YouDidntDidYou

YouDidntDidYou Mu-43 Regular

Feb 18, 2012
    Have you noticed at Nikon / Canon meet ups people don't share lenses whereas they do at Micro Four Thirds and Four Thirds meet ups, other mft owners will go up to each other say do you want to try this lens or this lens as well as getting more involved at looking at each others pictures on the back of the screens.

Never seen this happen at a DSLR meet up.

I have my theories....
  2. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    I have not been to many big meet ups, but I've always come across folks willing to share. It just depended on using the same system.
  3. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I haven't really noticed that... maybe the two groups have a different outlook of what they want out of the meet; one group takes photography too seriously and the other is there to enjoy a mutual interest with others.
  4. photoSmart42

photoSmart42 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    When you say people share lenses, surely it's not to take home with them, right? There's no way I'd let that happen.
  5. kanasgowatom

kanasgowatom Mu-43 Regular

Nov 11, 2011
    In my limited time as a mu 4/3's user, it is my conclusion that there is a world of difference the two groups. DSLR folks seem set in their ways, there is not the feeling of spontaneity that is present with 4/3's users. I guess it follows, we would be much more liable to switch with other shooters. IMHO

6. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    "...one group takes photography too seriously...":rofl:

I depends on the makeup of the group of people.

Those with whom I congregate are pros and semi-pros. When we meet, it is for commerce and we are serious about what we do because it is what we do or part of what we do for a living and we have a client depending on what we do and is providing remuneration.

Other than to get a bottle of water or a cup of coffee and the occasional fleeting comments about the novice shooter trying to sneak a few shots from 35 feet with his kit lens and on-board flash, we rarely if at all to "share" and socialize. We don't do swaps. We understand that if we don't have the gear, we don't get the shot and we don't get paid.:cool::rolleyes:
  7. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I actually have seen Canon and Nikon users sharing lenses when we meetup here. Maybe you're just in a snotty area, lol. =D

I can't compare with Micro Four-Thirds users though, because there simply aren't any! =D I've borrowed a couple Four-Thirds lenses in the past, like a Zuiko 50mm f/2 Macro and a Lensbaby in Four-Thirds mount, but there aren't that many other shooters to choose from.
  8. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    heh, I hope we'd be talking about sharing lenses at the meetup, not taking home, haha. I would only do that for friends or business partners I trust.
  9. ksn

ksn Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 6, 2011
    I've got a 14-42mm to share with you if you'll share that PL45.
  10. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Yup... Every time I go to a meet I seem to be the odd man out in a sea of Canon and Nikon. If I bring my Pentax... I get "They still in business?" If I bring my Micro 4/3... I get, "Are you serious?" If I bring my Leica... I simply get a "snicker". If I bring any one of my film cameras, I get "But Why??"

The last trip was sponsored by Tamron and they brought trunks of loaners. I signed up and realized 1/2 through our stay that they brought out the Pentax trunk for just one person... Me. I felt a bit guilty so I made sure to try out a few. Really liked their 90mm macro (I have the old adaptall one) and their 17-50mm.

I noticed that the beginner groups seem to be a lot more interesting these days... many don't even notice what I am specifically shooting with. Honestly. Except for official pro-photographer conventions and seminars, I've never actually seen a meet up specifically for professionals. I would think they are too busy.
  11. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    I've gotten more offers to borrow Canon and Nikon lenses than micro 4/3. Rather, with micro 4/3, I have found more elitism, blind loyalty, and warmongering against other brands than with any other brand's users. The only time I've seen people saying Canon is better than any other brand is some random bozo with a T3i, 7D, or 5D Mk ii with a $100-$150 lens on the end, which shows that they know nothing whatsoever about photography and just were willing to spend a few grand at their local Best Buy or Ritz/Wolf Camera. The nose-thumbing here is no different than their unfounded and misguided beliefs.
  12. YouDidntDidYou

YouDidntDidYou Mu-43 Regular

Feb 18, 2012
    obviously not to take home, just to try out and have a play with each others lenses on the day!

13. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Unfortunately, "the only time" where you are is the norm where I am... :rolleyes: Many people don't even know you can get better lenses than the f/4-5.6 zooms they sell at Best Buy. An 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 and 55-250mm f/4-5.6 is what they consider a "full kit".
  14. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    lol, you must have felt special! =D

If Olympus brought out a trunk of Super High Grade Zuiko lenses to a Micro Four-Thirds convention, I would probably be the only one trying them out but I would still be in heaven... xD
  15. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    and this is exactly why m43 really could be for a big majority of folks. Unfortunately, marketing wins, and slr = awesome pictures to folks =(
  16. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    Canon lenses do not fit on a Nikon...
  17. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California

MFT and 4/3 is still a minority group who need to expose their findings with gear that is fairly young. We're holding hands and venturing into uncharted territory together.

Canikons are a proven format and the world is saturated. You're on your own if you don't know...say if the EF 85mm 1.2 is a gem.

Just my theory.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yup, I agree. I actually get a ping of excitement when I see another Micro Four-Thirds user, and want to talk about our gear. Unfortunately though, most don't talk about it much and many have kit lenses although I do run into some with the likes of the m.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8 and m.Zuiko 12mm f/2 (good to see! I think they are a perfect pair to replace the kit lens range). Users of all formats though, get interested when they see all the different lenses I use on mine, lol. xD

I was able to swap and talk a lot more with Four-Thirds users back in the day... Micro Four-Thirds will get to that point and surpass it soon though.
  19. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    I saw a lady with a Pen-something once and on a different occasion another lady with G3, but was too shy to talk to them about m4/3 stuff. :redface:

Those are my only encounters with m4/3 users. Americans love DSLRs. (I think there was a thread about this some time ago).
  20. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Aw... spatula boy is too shy to approach the ladies. How cute. :biggrin: