Have you ever dropped your camera?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by cacadepollo, Feb 10, 2015.

1. cacadepollo

cacadepollo Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 6, 2015

I cannot believe this happened, on the second day of my ownership, but I dropped my GH4. It was heartbreaking, but thankfully it seems to be in all mechanically working order - thankfully the lens shade took most of the scratches, and one very small ding on the edge of the LCD, and not on the screen itself.

Anyways, I'm curious if any of yall have ever experienced this very unfortunate thing as well, and if so, what was your camera, and what happened to it after?

I guess I also should inquire if any of yall have ever invested in Squaretrade protection - do you think it's worth it? I have 25 days to consider...
  2. DigitalD

DigitalD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2014
    :crying: whoa so sorry man. I would be devastated. Though, from my experience in product development, most every designer equates for a drop, especially in items meant to be carried around, so Im pretty sure if there is no immediate issues you should be fine. I would keep a close ear out for any strange noises in the shutter or other mechanical features. Stuff not lining up, or seals opened etc. Sometimes the damage will take a few outings until you actually notice it.

Ive never used SquareTrade so can't comment on that. Maybe check with Panasonic and see how much a repair will actually cost and then compare? Maybe do a google search on SquareTrade and see how others rate it?

3. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Dropped? No. Been bowled over by a rather large lady who was obviously (a) in a hurry, (b) not looking where she was walking, and (c) oblivious to the rest of the people on the planet? Most certainly.

Knocked me heels over tea kettle, sending my D300, 70-200 f/2.8 and 1.7 extender into the dirt. The camera and extender were fine. The lens, not so much - the aperture was stuck at f/2.8. I was at an air show photographing the Blue Angels (one of my kids is in the Navy and had an "in"). I made it through the day (NEVER go to an important shoot w/o backup gear, even if you have to schlep back to the car and thru security to retrieve it).

The Monday following I contacted Nikon who were quite kind and put the repairs on a 'rush' basis - and fixed the problem at no charge. I had the lens back in a few days and it was in pristine condition.

If Nikon had gotten onto the mu-4/3 bandwagon early enough I probably would never have left the brand.

(The lady, BTW, never even stopped to apologize; I was standing still looking through the viewfinder when she struck. I know that I didn't stop abruptly or some such in her way. All I got was a view of her well-jeaned posterior heading off into the sunset :biggrin:. To give you an idea of her potential as a linebacker, I top 200 pounds and she sent me flying).

Sorry about the drop of the GH4, but glad that it's all in working order. Never mind the dings and scratches - it's a sign that you use your gear, that you don't make (what in the car world is called) a "trailer queen" out of it.

I've no information on Squaretrade, unfortunately. Perhaps your homeowners or renters insurance would cover repairing the cosmetic damages? (Although there may be a deductible that makes that unwise...).

4. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    I dropped a Canon F1 (original) with a 50mm 1.8 down a cliff face, it bounced really good and I ran down after to get the film out thinking that the whole kit would be toast. The camera was battered dents and dings every place, the lens was trash but I had a spare, the camera worked, looked like it had been in a war but it worked. I used it for a couple more years before some A-hole stole my cam bag in a burglary :(. I dropped an early digital P&S it just fell to bits from eye level on to a hard floor, it was a Samsung of some sort but I was only in it for a few quid so no upset.
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  5. Brian Beezley

Brian Beezley Mu-43 All-Pro

I'm glad to hear that your camera is OK! I like the comment about the trailer queen.

The older I get the more clumsy I become. So I always use a wrist strap. I won't even carry the camera across the room without strapping it to me. The strap saved me once when I backed into a table while shooting and instinctively threw out my hands to regain balance. The camera wound up hanging safely from the strap. Otherwise it would have flown across the room.

6. TassieFig

TassieFig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Tasmania, Australia
    Yep, I have dropped a couple of cameras...

The most recent was my E-M5 that I dropped on the ground (concrete) because I forgot that I didn't have the neck strap on it at the time :rolleyes: No lens was attached as I was in the process of changing lens. I just let it go and CLANK. I almost passed out but the camera was fine, no issues at all. A small ding on a corner but that's it. It has now been fitted with corner bumpers.

Way back my hubby dropped my Olympus ยต[mju:] in knee-deep water in Monkey Mia while watching dolphins. I plucked it up almost before I had realised what happened. It was of course drenched but it miraculously kept on working. There was some strange colour banding of some sort on one side of the negatives though so it had to be retired.

My first "real" camera, a Minolta 5000, was dropped on a couple of occasions. The highest fall was from the top shelf on a bus onto the floor while making our way on a non-existing road in Sumatra. No issues whatsoever. It had been through a lot by then including torrential rain, mud baths, dust storms, beer baths etc. Unfortunately it got stolen in Jakarta.

I hope your GH4 will be fine! If you haven't noticed anything weird by now it should be ok :smile:
  7. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    David Dornblaser
    Yes, I have. All survived.
  8. mpg01

mpg01 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 21, 2012
    As for the Square Trade protection, I had purchased a Asus tablet for my son and picked up the plan which included drops and damage. Sure enough, after a year he dropped it and split the screen. When I went on line to file a claim and see about getting it repaired they replied that their best solution was to simply replace it and gave me to the full purchase price. I'm not sure if their plans are the same for camera's but I thought that was well worth the cost. The hardest part was trying to get my son to give up the damaged unit to return.
  9. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Had an E-PL1 fall out of my backpack onto concrete, but I could never quite identify the point of impact on the body and it never missed a beat afterwards. Tough little bugger.
  10. DigitalD

DigitalD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2014
    Yea they don't make cameras like that anymore. My Canon AE-1 is in great shape. What's that, 40 yo by now? I bet you will never be able to say that about most cameras today. Let alone a cell phone. Either they'll stop working or be so obsolete they won't work.
  11. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I had my E-M1 with 14-35mm f2 lens fly off the passenger seat once while out in the bush, going down a very steep track; it hit with an almighty thud in the footwell, but came out unscathed.
  12. ex machina

ex machina Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 3, 2014
    Northern Virgnia
    My GX7 fell off a tripod with a quick-release mechanism that had loosened, fell a few feet to a concrete floor and smashed the rear LCD. I could still shoot via the EVF but every 2 or 3 shots the camera would freeze and I'd have to yank the battery. Got through the shoot but wasn't real happy about it. Sent it to Texas for non-warranty repair and got it back a month later and @$300 poorer. Bought a new tripod with a more robustly designed quick-release.
  13. Jcarrith

Jcarrith Mu-43 Regular

Apr 26, 2012
    I dropped my pany g3 while being chased by a bull up in the San Juan Mountains. No damage to the camera or me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mu-43 mobile app
  14. nardoleo

nardoleo Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 2, 2013
    My old Canon cam took quite a bit of abuse. I had dropped it on grass and concrete ground before and the cam still worked like a charm.
    Have not dropped my micro four thirds cam and lenses before but i somehow feel the need to baby them, compared to the Canon gear.
  15. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    I've dropped almost every one of my digital cameras. Only one actually stopped working, and that was a Nikon E900 16 years ago. My EPL1 was dropped onto a tile floor. The EPM1 hit concrete. My EM5 landed on asphalt. Tumbles from my desk onto the (fairly thickly padded) carpet don't count. Those happen often, as do tumbles off the front seat of a car onto the floor.
  16. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    Depending on the circumstances and force, they do count. ;)
  17. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    I dropped my original Canon 5D with battery grip + 28-75mm f2.8 lens into a rocky creek. I was... not pleased, but the camera came out okay and there was a dent in the grip, but otherwise totally fine.
  18. Jcarrith

Jcarrith Mu-43 Regular

Apr 26, 2012
    here is proof

The Bull and the butterfly taken with the dropped camera and lens a few minutes later

Attached Files:

19. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    Not a camera, but I also dropped a camera bag with 4/3 lenses, tele-extenders etc into a river. I fished them out and not a drop of water had entered any of the lenses and other bits. I wiped them dry and then left everything in the sun for a while to fully dry off. I still use the EC-14 and EX-25 that took a dive.
  20. felipegeek

felipegeek Mu-43 Enthusiast

Jan 8, 2014
    Miami, FL
    Back in the 80's my Minolta XD11 and Yashica GS hit the ground various times. The XD11 hit the street when shooting while riding my bicycle. It tumbled end-over-end and was well scratched and dented but kept on ticking. My Nikon D5200 fell twice due to strap failure and once due to mishandling. The body works great. The third hit knocked the aligment of the lenses out on the 18-105mm zoom. The EM5 I bought used from a member has not fallen but definitely bumped into tables, car doors, etc without any ill effect so far. Most mid-range and better cameras are certainly more durable than smartphones, tablets and laptops!

I forgot - My E-PL3 with VF-3 fell off due to sling strap lug coming loose and fell to the muddy, rocky trail ground from atop a horse. The horse proceeded to step on the attached viewfinder which rendered to pieces. The camera body was missed. The screen and finish is scratched up but it works fine still.
    • Like Like x 1