1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Have you brought a 2nd body on a once in a lifetime trip?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by jeffbet, Feb 5, 2016.

1. jeffbet

jeffbet Mu-43 Regular

Jun 7, 2015
    I have a big trip coming up in a few months. I was all set to bring my E-M10II and E-M10 as backup.

Well, I broke the E-M10. Now deciding if it is worth buying another E-M10 or E-M10II or just going with one body. My reasoning for buying a second body (at least as of now) is that I would shoot primarily with the E-M10II and have the 2nd body in case something happens to the first body.

I don't envision myself shooting both bodies with different lenses on them.

So, on your last trip, did you bring a second body? I know this is an old adage, just wondering what others are doing.

Thanks.

2. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    Personally I would bring a 2nd body, either rent or buy. Either way, it would be one that I was familiar with.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. siftu

siftu Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    siftu
    I do travel with two bodies just because I like two lenses at the ready. It also doubles as a backup. I would be tempted to pick up something from the buy/sell section to take along with you and if you don't like it sell in on your return. Even something like a gm1 might save you and actually will compliment your larger OMD.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Yep, I always bring a second body with me when traveling internationally. It's there as a back up in case something happens to the first one, or its there to have a second lens mounted on it. It makes shooting with two primes fast and easy. And given that it's m43, the camera bodies aren't very big so it's easy to take two with you.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Back in 2000, I took a trip to Tanzania with my film Pentax MV. The entire film advance self-destructed half way through the trip. That experience has me always bringing a backup, even if it's just the epm2. I've also come to like having one body with a telephoto and the other more normal FoV. As a side note, a nice older woman in our group let me borrow her backup camera, which was much nicer that my deceased Pentax.

• Like Like x 1
  6. peter124

peter124 Mu-43 Regular

I just bought an E-P5 to go with my E-M5. Yes, a big trip coming up and the P5 was going to be the backup. But it turns out that I like it a lot, so I think they'll both be getting plenty of use.

• Like Like x 1
  7. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    How about a cheap second body, perhaps one of the excellent camera bodies one generation prior? A GM-series Panasonic camera could provide you with the peace of mind in a very small package, also very cheap!

8. jeffbet

jeffbet Mu-43 Regular

Jun 7, 2015
    agenlossing - thanks for the reply. I'm not really familiar with the GM series. Which do you recommend? How is this different than the GX series?

9. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Actually, the EPM2 has excellent IQ as good as the EM 10, takes little space, and can be had for under $200. The EPL6 is available for $299 with the kit lens.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Three or perhaps even four is a safer bet.

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. jeffbet

jeffbet Mu-43 Regular

Jun 7, 2015
    Safer bet in what ways? Which specific models are you referring to? I'm basically familiar with the OMD series and that's about it. Haven't used any other models.

12. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    and if you're doing something active (climbing, skiing, even just hiking), bring the second lens too!

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    I would take a 2nd body. Something operationally close to your main one. Equally useful for having two lenses without swapping, which in some cases may be inadvisable if conditions are windy or rainy. At first, I had a PL5 to backup my EM5, but I would get confused swapping back and forth. Ended up buying an EM1, so the EM5 became the backup and sold the PL5. One nice thing is that both EMs use the same battery. As you said, it'd be a once-in-a-liftime trip and you don't want to be stuck without being able to shoot photos. :)

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Rudy

Rudy Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    It's best to have identical cameras so they have the same setup and handling. You don't mention your lenses, but my travel set is two EM-5 one with the 12-40 and the 75 on the other. This is pretty much all I need.
    I don't think of the second camera as a back-up body. Changing lenses can be a pain and you might not want to hold up the people traveling with you. If one camera dies I could still go on.
    In your case I would recommend getting a second EM-10 and if that's too much money an EPM-2. The EPM-2 takes pictures that are virtually indistinguishable from any of the newer Olympus models and it shares batteries with the EM-10.
    Only the handling is a bit less convenient.

15. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi, the GMs are truly tiny.
    The GM5 is the only one with a (very small) EVF. They have no IBIS.
    Adorama is selling the GM5 + 12-32mm pancake zoom for $440USD, and there is a mail in rebate for a free 3-year warranty from Panasonic.
    They also have the GM1 for slightly less.
    Note the GMs are too small to be comfortable with larger lenses, including the O12-40mm.
    I have big hands, but the camera seemed fine with a smaller lens.

Barry

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Harvey Melvin Richards

Harvey Melvin Richards Photo Posting Junkie

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    I have 2 bodies, but I'm still waiting for that "once in a lifetime trip".

• Funny Funny x 9
    • Like Like x 4
  17. jeffbet

jeffbet Mu-43 Regular

Jun 7, 2015
    Been trying to figure lenses out too. I have a working E-M10II. Lenses owned are O17, O45, O40-150, OBCL, O14-150, Pany 25 and Pany 14-42. Lately have been thinking of taking the O14-150, my 17 and BCL.

18. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I've owned both, having started out with a GM1 and swapped it a few months later for a GM5, purely for the EVF, which is tiny compared to the OMDs, but useful in really bright light.

They're nearly the same camera, save for the EVF, slightly improved ergonomics with the GM5 (a really useful thumb grip and a clickable control wheel) and a hotshoe. While the GM1 lacks those features, it doesn't feel stripped-down, it's a very premium camera, just built for a less enthusiast-grade picture-taking experience. However, the GM1 has the advantage of being one of the best screaming deals in M4/3 world right now. If you can live with LCD only shooting.

Size is fine with the smaller lenses, as already mentioned by another, and I have no problem using the Oly 25mm f1.8 and the Sigma 60mm f2.8 with my GM5 (with grip) but anything larger than that and it might be a bit harder to handle.

GM5•EM10•17/2.8•25/1.8•60/2.8

19. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    A thought: having a much used lens on a second body instead of switching lenses on your primary body is really nice. If you went with a smaller body, the 17mm or 45mm primes would work really nicely with it.

GM5•EM10•17/2.8•25/1.8•60/2.8

20. When I took some time off work a few years ago and spent a number of months travelling through Central and South America I took 4 cameras (an Olympus, a Panasonic, a Samsung and a Canon). Why? Because I wanted to.

In your situation, I'd take a second body with me if I felt the expense was reasonable.