Have you been more confident with m43 ?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by xdayv, Nov 9, 2011.

1. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    I'm opening this discussion because i would like to hear what you think or your experiences.

I've been using Nikon since the start, and i trusted and invested much on this system; both (part-time) professionally and as a hobbyist. But the sheer size and bulk of the system sometimes discourages me to bring one, from a point of view of a hobbyist who wants to bring a camera everyday.

Enter the m43. About 2 years ago, I've purchased my first m43 camera, the GF1 + the 20 pancake. I was using it but just very occasionally until this year where i started to bring it everyday. I guess the confidence started to build up after months of use.

On all my important holiday travels, I've almost always carted along 2 Nikon bodies (D700 + D3)....

Last month I was on travel again, and for the first time i brought along my m43 (G3) and a Nikon body (D700) as a combo. Came home with 2700+ raw shots, 50/50 ratio between two bodies. Another confidence build-up i guess.

On my next trip, I will be bringing a purely m43 kit. G3 + GF1. :biggrin:

On a side note, this time i can bring a small travel tripod. :thumbup:
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    i went from nikonn65/d70, to oly e30(i just was an oly guy)
    then even that ended up getting left at home cause of the size and hassle
    so i got an m43, and i love love love it
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Rudi

Rudi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2010
    For travel photography you can't beat a smaller camera, and you don't need lighting fast AF or extremely reliable AF tracking. Micro Four Thirds is a nice compromise between size and image quality, and with the versatility of interchangeable lenses virtually perfect for travel photography. It is somewhat less inspiring for other uses, but that is what other camera systems are for. :smile:
    • Like Like x 1
  4. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    I started with Nikon, continued with Oly Epl-1, then traded for K5 and now back here with Oly and Pana: m4/3 is invaluable for anything but professional.
    And even there something can be done.:thumbup:
    • Like Like x 1
  5. dshipp

dshipp Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 15, 2011
    Yes, but you've also got to just get outside your comfort zone!

I've definitely noticed this.

I got into photography properly when my Dad passed down to me his Canon 40D. I enjoyed using this and got some great candid shots using a prime lens when people came to dinner, etc. However, I never felt very comfortable taking it with me out and about. Either because I was on a long walk and didn't want the weight, or because I felt too conspicuous with it in out on the street, etc.

I switched to m43 earlier this year, just before going on a short holiday to Marrakech. I felt a lot more confident taking my E-PL2 with 20mm pancake out round the souks. This was because it was smaller and less obtrusive, making me not stand out from the rest of the tourists. It also helped that I used a sling strap, so I felt a lot more confident that I wouldn't get snatched out of my hand.

I invested in a couple more m43 lenses and a wrist strap to go on a recent holiday to Canada. I felt a lot safer in Canadian cities and found carrying around the E-PL2 using a wrist strap to be ideal, even with my 14-150mm lens mounted. Swapping to my sling strap when going on longer walks or where I needed both hands free (e.g. riding a bike). I got so many more keepers on that holiday because I had my camera with me, I don't think I'll ever go back to using a DSLR for opportunistic photography.

For me now, the 40D is a camera I take out when I'm going out specifically to take photographs and I'll probably be lugging a tripod too. Even then, I'd have a difficult choice between it and the E-PL2 given the image quality is so similar.

It's also worth noting that with all my m43 gear, my hand luggage was only just under my baggage allowance on the plane to Canada. With a DSLR it would have been way over.

My E-PL2 is in for repair at the moment (salt water! no!) so I bought a Canon S95 to tide me over. I'm really liking the ability to take it in my pocket everywhere. There are still a few occasions when I think twice about picking up my m43 gear, but don't hesitate to grab the S95.

I think confidence is to some extent a function of what you're used to. Certainly some people don't care about taking a large DSLR and flash with them to do street photography, but I would be painfully under-confident doing that. But if you're serious about street photography you've got to push yourself outside of your comfort zone (and have good insurance!)

m43 certainly helps most people have the confidence to take their camera with them a lot more.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    here is an overview of my last travel stats...

total number of photos: 2875

DMC-G3: 1137
    Nikon D700: 1538

24mm 1.4 (Nikkor) - 381
    85mm 1.4 (Nikkor) - 1147
    20mm 1.7 (Panasonic) - 415
    7-14 4 (Panasonic) - 922

Based on the stats above, if i will bring a purely m43 kit... i think a 45 1.8 will suffice in the longer end, right? :biggrin: