1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Have the O45 and O75, but seriously GAS'ing for the Sigma 60...opinions?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by LowriderS10, Feb 11, 2014.

1. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Hi guys,

So, I have both the O45 (long-term travel prime) and the O75 (non-travel/short term travel prime, which I've left in Canada and won't have access to for the next 1.5 years)...but lately I've been looking at the Sigma 60 2.8 and I'm absolutely loving the way it renders.

Initially, I dismissed this lens off-hand because I thought f2.8 on our tiny sensors would give very little bokeh...but it's very, very beautiful on the 60 2.8.

So...I'm thinking of replacing the O45 as my long-term travel prime. I love how sharp it is, love the way it renders OOF backgrounds, and I like the 60mm focal length.

However...that would leave me with only an f2.8 lens as my fastest travel glass. (Others are the 9-18 4-5.6 and the 7.5mm 3.5 FE). I've been travelling fairly extensively for the past few years and I've always had at least an f2 with me.The Sigma is also 50% heavier and somewhat larger (both issues for me, as I backpack for weeks at a time and every gram and cubic centimetre counts!

So...here are my options:

1: Forget it. I already have enough great lenses, use them and be happy.
    2: It's so cheap...buy it. Even if I don't travel with it, it won't hurt the kit. (But is that pointless?)
    3: Replace the O45 with the S60 as my travel prime.

Thanks in advance for your input! :)

2. biomed

biomed Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    Mike
  3. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I've owned all 3. The Sigma 60 DN is an excellent lens for the money. The 60mm also focuses closer and quicker than the 75mm (at near distances). Both the 45 and 75 have better shallow DOF wide open. In regards to sharpness, AF, close focus and price it's a great lens. Though if I already owned a 45/75 I'm not sure if I would get one.

Here's some examples of all 3 in regards to bokeh -

60mm DN:

45mm:

75mm:

• Like Like x 1
  4. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    though it seems pointless to buy the 60 since you've already have the 45 and 75, I would strongly recommend this lens from my experience. the Sigma 60 is just about perfect, except for not being a macro lens. In fact if you love sharpness, the 60 can give you as much sharpness as there ever is in the world; if you're frustrated by abbreviations, you won't notice any on the 60; if you love bokeh, the 60 may not satisfy you enough like the 45 does.

I think we have had plenty of excellent choices so the Sigma 60 isn't a must, what I couldn't resist was such a perfect lens was asking for so little, and this is what I'd justify doing again! why don't you sell the 45 and buy a 25 1.4/1.8 to go with the 60?

5. Jay86

Jay86 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2012
    From everything I have seen the Sigma 60 is fantastic lens. In-fact maybe one of the best overlooked bargains of the M43 system. But if you already have the O45/O75 combo I really dont see the point tbh of getting the Sigma 60 (even if you are without the 075 for a while). Counter argument to that would be you can find a nice used copy for like $140.... $140 in the photography hobby is like pocket change (heck some camera straps cost that much, lol). Maybe you can sub a used Sig60 for the time you dont have your O75?! I doubt you would lose any money selling it off later if you deemed you dont need it.

6. letsgofishing

letsgofishing Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 21, 2012
    South Africa
    Mike Kaplan
    This is what I'd do...
    I have the Sig 60 and can only confirm it's great quality and price

7. kawhona

kawhona Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2013
    Phoenix
    Don Thompson
    I have no doubt the S60 is a real value the s 50 and S 35 are among my favorite lens for my FF kit. If you would consider a 60mm why not consider the Oly 60? To me it and the 12mm are the Rodney Dangerfields of the m4/3 lineup. Plus you would have a macro for your travels. Shots with all the above can be seen at my site mysticeyestudios.com if you are interested.

8. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    Kind of an odd thing but you say your 75 is back in Canada for 1.5 years. How do you store it long term to prevent fungus build up?

9. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Not the OP, but if you live somewhere dry (i.e. canada in the winter, in any event, and Europe indoors for that matter) fungus in lenses is usually a non-issue. I store my glass where I would feel comfortable (relative humidity of between 35 and 55%, pleasant temperatures) and I've never had problems. Even with older lenses that I don't regularly take out for a spin.

10. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    My vote is option 1.

11. LowTEC

LowTEC Mu-43 Regular

I will vote for option 1 as well, sorely on the night shot / indoor capability, the difference of shooting at iso6400 instead of iso2500 with the same shutter speed makes it an easy choice. Plus you already have 2 of the sharpest lens in the m4/3 family