Have SWD motors in 43s' lenses been problematic?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by zensu, Dec 4, 2015.

1. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    I've recently acquired two outstanding optics, the Oly 12-60mm F2.8-4.0 and 50-200mm F2.8-3.5 both SWD. They both are stunningly good optics. I'm just curious if any of you more experienced photographers have any impressions you might share concerning durability of these SWD motors.
    Thanks to all,
    Bobby :coffee-30:

2. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    The SWD motors may well have a shorter life on a CDAF only body. On the E-M1 I don't think they are any more likely to fail than anything else.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    I've owned various SHG and HG lenses both with and without SWD focusing and never had a problem with the focusing motor. The only real problem I've had was to do with the aperture on the 12-60mm (the lens would not always stop down on taking a picture, no problems wide open).

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    "Has"? I wish I could edit my post title!
    Bobby :doh:

5. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    I had the same issue about a year ago on mine. Bought mine used mid-2009 and have used it heavily in the years that followed and still use it a lot. No issues with the SWD motor, just the aperture thing which I had repaired.

My 50-200mm is the non-SWD so no experience there to speak of.

6. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi, editing your original post will allow you to change the title.
    Barry

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    In my LR library I have just over 10,000 photos with my 50-200 SWD and 16,000 with my 150mm ƒ2.0 (you can probably double or triple that number for total shots taken) and have had no problems with them.

8. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    I have zero shots with the 150/2. :(

;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I've had the SWD motor fail twice on the 12-60. First time was prior to m4/3. Second time was after using the lens on an E-M5 for a year or so. YMMV, but on the whole I'd say Olympus's SWD motor tends to be less reliable than most of the others (except maybe the Pentax SDM ones). Repair was ~$260 last time, so if I get another SWD lens, I'll aim to get the extended warranty.

10. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    Mine also failed twice. Under warranty and quickly repaired the first time. Just out of warranty the second but Olympus still picked up the tab. This tells me that there may be an issue.

edit: 70-300 motor also failed. Had to pay for that repair.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2015
  11. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    I think you might be $100 off unless you got it repaired a long time go. Current flat rate repair on the 12-60mm is $165.85 US.

There was a recall on some of these lenses back in 2008 for serial numbers ranging between: 230005416 and 230010688 for what Oly termed as a fault during the manufacturing process of the autofocusing drive.

Something to keep in mind if ever buying a used one of these. Check the serial number.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    Thank you PakkyT. Both of my 43s' SWD do not fall within that range! :dance4:
    Bobby :coffee-30:

13. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The biggest problem with the 70-300 lens motor was the external focussing system & any physical load on the lens or moving the lens by hand (also when removing the lens hood) put a strain on the drive (or a back EMF into the drive circuitry) leading to eventual failure.

14. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    You're right. I misremembered. The first repair was in 2011, and was $260. The second, in 2013, was $165. Hopefully that's the rate today too.