Have PM1, Getting PM2 Soon, Questions

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by larrytxeast, Feb 15, 2013.

1. larrytxeast

larrytxeast Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 10, 2012
    An Olympus E-PM1 kit and Nikon D5100 outfit user, I'm awaiting my tax refund at which time I intend to upgrade my E-PM1 to the E-PM2 for the newer sensor technology. A few questions:

(1) The Fn button nearby the shutter release, I've read conflicting reports--is ISO one of the options it can be remapped to?

(2) I have Lightroom 3.5--I assume no way, no how, it will work with the RAW-ORF files? I will need to update it to LR4?

(3) So far, are any users observing IBIS problems as was with the E-PM1? (In my case, IBIS seems fine, especially if I engage "anti-shock" even 1/2 second or so.)

(4) I assume that, as with the E-PM1, shooting in 4:3 ratios means the LCD has the "black box" effect due to the mismatch of aspect ratios LCD vs image? Is the E-PL5 the same way?

(5) Store with the best price?

I also am looking towards getting the Sigma 19mm and 30mm lenses, if I can still find any, the Olympus 45mm 1.8 lens also tempts me for portraits, but I figure the wife won't be open towards me upgrading to the E-PM2, getting the Sigma lenses, AND getting the Olympus 45mm.
  2. Aegon

Aegon Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
    Portland, OR
    (1) Yes, you can map that Fn button to ISO. Yay.
    (2) ---don't know, I think it should work, but I don't know---
    (3) I haven't noticed IBIS issues, I leave it on all the time. But I'm not stressing IBIS.
    (4) Yes, black box.
    (5) ---don't know---
  3. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    You can download the camera manual here, and not have to rely on someone else guessing.

LR 3.5 - Go to the Adobe and download the latest version of Adobe DNG Converter. It will convert ORF RAW files into DNG RAW files that LR 3.x will open.

I have the E-PL5 and the LCD is 16:9 and a 4:3 actual image size of 2.5" diag.

Almost every place sells these thing for MSRP, unless Olympus has a sale, in which case everyone has it on sale