1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Have pana sorted out their X lenses?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by a_hit_of_meth, May 30, 2014.

1. a_hit_of_meth

a_hit_of_meth Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 7, 2012
    Quick question, a few years ago there seemed to be issues with fuzzy images particularly from the 14-42 X lenses (between 1/60 to 1/250, if i remember correctly) when they came out, which is why i've been avoiding them for the past year or so.

I haven't really been into my photography the past year and haven't kept up with the m4/3 news lately so I'd like to know if the issues have been sorted or if they still exist with the X lenses or if there is a particular batch from a certain year I should avoid. I'm looking to get something in the next day or so and I need to know if this will be an option. Quick searches I've done haven't got be the answers I need so any input would be appreciated.

2. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    There was a shutter shock issue on the GX1 (it was bundled as a kit), but as far as I know that was the only camera it had issues with, and it may have been fixed in a firmware update. And just an FYI, there are other "X" lenses (12-35, 35-100), so folks usually refer to that one as the PZ (power zoom? pancake zoom?)

3. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    what your describing sounds like shutter shock, which is more to do with the body. Newer olympus bodies had developed a work around for shutter shock. Panasonic bodies could work around it by using an electronic shutter, but there can be compromises with moving subjects.

4. a_hit_of_meth

a_hit_of_meth Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 7, 2012
    Thanks. Most of my searches still seem to result in older posts from around 2012 or early 2013, not much from recently. I do remember at the time most of them were issues with the lens paired with the GX1 but not limited to it, although it seemed the effect was less on certain other bodies. I guess for now it's something I would probably steer clear of, especially with the nicer and newer version of the regular 14-42 zoom.

5. gcogger

gcogger Mu-43 Veteran

May 25, 2010
    UK
    Graeme
    The 14-42 PZ issue certainly wasn't just on a GX-1 - I saw the same (and returned the lens because of it) on a different camera. Unfortunately I don't recall which camera - probably a GH2 or G5.

6. Reflector

Reflector Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 31, 2013
  7. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    That graph is great. It certainly reflects what I saw when I put the 14-42 onto an E-P5. The lens itself is pretty good.