Have OMD, need 2nd Body GH2 or GX1 FOR VIDEO MAINLY

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by broncophil, Dec 18, 2012.

1. broncophil

broncophil Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2010
    There is a really good deal on the GX1 right now. Should I go for the GX1 witht the power zoom @ $499 + tax, or go to BH and get the GH2 Body only for $499 OTD?

I have lots of lenses. So I would probably sell the PZ Lens.

I used to use the Nikon d5100 as a video camera, but sold the whole kit alread. So I need a video camera to use with my current set of lenses.

14, 25, 45, 14-42, 40-150

2. duke

duke Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    Tulsa, moving to Houston
    Duke
    I think it depends on how serious you are about video. I don't think the GX1 will be noticeably different than the OMD, but the zoom might be nice. However, the GH2 (once hacked) can rival cameras costing thousands more.

3. broncophil

broncophil Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2010
    sorry, i should say that i would use the 2nd body on a tripod to record my kids sports or recitals.

and the omd is my stills camera

how hard is it to hack. the most i've ever hacked is Jailbreaking my ipad/iphone.

4. duke

duke Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    Tulsa, moving to Houston
    Duke
    It's really easy to hack and there are very good videos that show how to do it.

5. ricksastro

ricksastro New to Mu-43

Mar 10, 2011
    Ada, Michigan
    A better companion would be something like a Panasonic HC-X900 which is one of the best video cameras and a steal at under $590 if you're not looking to do pro video. The IQ is outstanding (no moire at all), features and manual control excellent and the ergonomics for the casual user are lightyears ahead of any m43 camera for video. The stabilization is also unreal and the focal range very generous.

Obviously you can't get as creative lens-wise, but most casual users would be far better off with a good camcorder paired with a quality stills camera like an OMD. I have both, and they both suit their strengths very well!

Rick

• Like Like x 1
  6. broncophil

broncophil Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2010
    yes, dedicated camcorder was my other option, and you are probably right.. it might be the way to go.

thanks!