Have OMD and EPL1, get EPM1 to replace EPL1?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by mintchoco, Feb 27, 2013.

1. mintchoco

mintchoco Mu-43 Regular

May 24, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Hi all,

The thread title says it all. I have an EPL1 which got me into m43. Recently, I acquired the OMD. With the dropping prices on the EPM1, should I consider replacing the EPL1? The things that bother me with the EPL1 are the slow write and AF speeds, which I hear is much improved with the EPM1?

How much could I get selling my EPL1?

How portable is the EPM1 and 20mm pancake? Could it replace a canon digital elph?

2. JJJPhoto

JJJPhoto Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    Cincinnati, OH
    Jerry Jackson Jr
    You won't get much of anything for the E-PL1. Like you, I picked up an E-PM1 last year because I wanted something smaller than my other Pen cameras but I got addicted to the AF speed of the larger E-P3 and OM-D.

My E-PL1 is basically collecting dust but I haven't been willing to sell it for the pathetically low resale value.

3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yes, I would replace the E-PL1 with the E-PM1. Yes it is fast and ridiculously small. No, the E-PL1 is not worth much to sell. I would just keep it as a backup. 3 bodies is my minimum... at least 2 to work with and at least one for backup.

4. mintchoco

mintchoco Mu-43 Regular

May 24, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    How much slower is the EPM1 than the OMD?

5. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    Yes, the EPM1 is very quick to focus with a fast lens, but the EPL1 isn't that slow with the same faster moving lenses, P14mm, O45mm.

With the 15mm bodycap lens, it's a lot bigger than a Canon Elph.

In a slightly bigger boat, owning EM5, EPL1, and EPM1. Should move one or both of the latter two.

Attached Files:

6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Considering the huge gap in capabilities between the Mini and the Elph, I wouldn't even bother comparing them in size. On the other hand, the Mini with a pancake or bodycap lens is significantly SMALLER than the Canon G15 or G12 in every way. That's pretty impressive.

7. Salc64

Salc64 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 24, 2012
    New York. USA
    Sal
    I have all 3. To be honest I really like epl1 much better then the epm. I don't like the dial of the epm and for a compact camera I still think the pop up flash is a must. With all that said omd is miles Ahead of both

8. EasyEd

EasyEd Mu-43 Regular

Feb 16, 2010
    Hey All,

Couldn't resist... :biggrin:

Now I don't know how good this strategy is for cameras... but girlfriends...:tongue: go for it...

Now that said I'm looking to upgrade to something beyond EPL-1 for my other half - relegating EPL-1 to second camera perhaps with a prime. Watching this thread with interest. Looking at EPM-2 or EPL-5. Wondering if EPL-1 is even worth keeping.

-Ed-

9. ReallyBadPictures

ReallyBadPictures Mu-43 Regular

Jan 12, 2013
    I only have the E-PM1 but leave the flash on all the time even though I hardly ever use it. It adds almost nothing to the overall size and looks cool as sh1t on it as far as I am concerned.

As far as the dial is concerned I have no issues with mine but I can see how having another dial like on the E-PL1 could be handy.

10. ReallyBadPictures

ReallyBadPictures Mu-43 Regular

Jan 12, 2013
    My parents have an Elph, not sure which model, but the pictures it takes are so full of noise every time I look at them I think I must be at a shipbuilding facility and the time between able to take another picture is easily 2-3 seconds.