Have Om-d. Do i want Gh3 for video?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by ralfmouth, Mar 19, 2013.

1. ralfmouth

ralfmouth Mu-43 Regular

Oct 16, 2012
    Could anyone summarize video benefits of the Gh3 over the Om-d's video. I know there is 60p for one (only at 720?). Moire and other things? feel free. Have the Om-d but have been on the fence about the Gh3 since its been out.
  2. peterpix

peterpix Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 8, 2010
    So. Maine
    Peter Randal
    Far from from expert, but GH3 can use headphones, and has more options for video quality including shooting in 24p which is the cinematic standard for movies, options for moV and AVCHD, much higher bit rate, more buttons to use instead of diving into the menus, basically made to use for video and stills, where as EM5 , which i also have, is mainly a stills camera that can do some video. EM5 has that in-body stabilization which GH3 lacks, making the Olympus great for handheld video. Most serious v ideo is done on a tripod or monopod though some maybe that stablization is not so important. Wish GH3 had it though. Most people I think would say if you want both stills and v idea, GH3 is the choice. I may well sell my EM5 and get a second GH3 as I'm doing more video these days.

LOts of places on the web to goggle and get more detailed info
  3. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    First question you need to ask yourself is what kind of videos do you want to make? Where are you on the learning curve of making videos that people want to look at... The camera is actually a pretty small part of making a watchable video... telling a story, editing, working with audio are all just as important as the camera if not more so

is it just for your self, family and friends of social events... or are you more 'serious' and want to distribute/sell or become the next goddard/hitchcock or speilberg. Do you have the computer and the applications to do the editing?

I made a movie... on my own driving solo in a car with a go pro!!!

video isn't easy... its way more complex than taking a photograph.... there is a reason why the credit list of a movie or a TV program is so long

I suspect unless less you have more knowledge and skill than you are letting on, that the OMD would do you well for the moment, and you efforts would be better spent learning a good editing program like Premiere or Final Cut

• Like Like x 1
  4. ralfmouth

ralfmouth Mu-43 Regular

Oct 16, 2012
    You have both, so thanks for the comparison. I bought panasonic lenses in case I did get a Gh3. How does color grading compare.

Now nature / personal but love good image quality and learning cinemetography and ways to use the camera. Learned After Effects for color corection and composing and got a workflow down after a while.

Will watch when i get home.

I'm having serious issues with the low bitrate, but everything else seems ok. Then again, haven't played with the Gh3.
  5. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    If you are seeing issues with 'low bitrate' your obviously look at different things than I do... I am the kind of guy who in my still photography dont give a damn about noise and lack of sharpness in the corners as long as the picture is interesting to me... and hopefully others :smile:

6. powderbanks

powderbanks Mu-43 Regular

Dec 7, 2012
    north carolina
    what's your budget? you could also look for a gh2 or even gh1, depending on how much you want to spend. both have great hacks available for them to further improve the video quality
  7. ralfmouth

ralfmouth Mu-43 Regular

Oct 16, 2012
    Budget is not a problem with the gh3, but like you say for half price a gh2 is a tad sharper with less moire (that is the consensus i believe). Don't really know if i want to mess with the hack though, but yes gh2 is a great camera.
  8. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    As an OMD owner who uses it mainly video (I prefer the output of my lowly E-PL1 for stills) I was also contemplating a GH3 - until I downloaded actual original mts files shot with the GH3 like this one: https://vimeo.com/59300288 from the Gordon Laing vimeo site: Search videos for gordon laing on Vimeo

Then after importing the GH3 video samples into my video editing program and comparing it against my OMD footage, I found the sharpness and detail resolution of the GH3 footage no better and the colors worse (for landscape shooting). So I no longer lust after the GH3.
  9. ralfmouth

ralfmouth Mu-43 Regular

Oct 16, 2012
    They are close and i'm pretty sure it's the same sensor. Many Gh3 videos I see have a yellow tint going on but others are fine. I think Panny has a different downscale/de-bayer method with less moire but not sure. Thanks for the insight.
  10. ntblowz

ntblowz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 13, 2011
    Auckland, New Zealand
    I sold my E-M5 after getting the GH3, after extensive 10 day trip around the country I found the video quality is certainly much less than Panasonic, especially on more action sequence.. too much macro-blocking on OMD video

11. ralfmouth

ralfmouth Mu-43 Regular

Oct 16, 2012
    Thats my issue (720p has less blocking than 1080 h.264 though)
    Double barrel 12-35, nice.
    Well there are different opinions here aren't there.
  12. Jdenkevitz

Jdenkevitz New to Mu-43

Feb 9, 2013
    Hacking a GH2 is not a big deal. Certainly theres an associated risk whenever you 'hack' anything, but im not aware of anyone having problems unless they dont follow the (simple) instructions.

FWIW theres a huge difference between hacked GH2 footage and non hacked footage when it comes to grading and macro blocking. You are probably going to get better footage out of a hacked gh2 running driftwood All Intra I settings compared to a GH3. Once the gh3 is hacked though look out.
  13. arson519

arson519 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2013
    hacking a gh2 is a breeze and you will be amazed by driftwoods hacks hes been fine tuning them for awhile now. VK is working on a gh3 hack cant go wrong with either camera
  14. ralfmouth

ralfmouth Mu-43 Regular

Oct 16, 2012
  15. GH1NGER

GH1NGER New to Mu-43

Mar 28, 2013
    If you are asking this question you probably aren't a professional videographer or film maker. In which case I betcha the olympus provides better pictures than your ideas ever require (as with me), and if you are a pro you probably want an arri or a red anyway. Don't worry about it it's more than anyone could dream of five years go.
  16. Liamness

Liamness Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Agreed, the OM-D is an incredible video camera for amateur enthusiasts. Perhaps it has its limitations where audio is concerned (no headphone out for monitoring, no microphone input without an extra accessory, no manual control of volume), but you can always record audio separately and sync later if need be.
  17. GH1NGER

GH1NGER New to Mu-43

Mar 28, 2013
    Yup. Same limitations with sound as the Gh1 in fact (nonstandard jack socket notwithstanding). Only way to get proper sound is off camera anyway. But for amateur play footage it does just fine.