1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Have I been scammed?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by kstano83, Feb 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kstano83

kstano83 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 23, 2011
    Slovakia
    I've recently bought a panasonic wide convertor from a member of this forum from buy and sell thread which was supposed to be new, in a never open box. But the item was kind of badly packed, with the glass wrapped inside the box and the adapters and caps tapped on top of the box. It was not damaged but it clearly was not "never open box" and the caps have some marks which make me doubt about being brand new. I contacted the seller but as an explanation, he said it's a material that gains these signs even without using over time, was rude and showed no intention to come to any solution. He just said "sorry". I'm thinking of leaving bad feedback. What do you guys think?

P1170701.JPG P1170702.JPG

2. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    I would have to say that those are not new in box and never been used.

3. MaK543

MaK543 Mu-43 Regular

May 1, 2012
    MD USA
    These caps are nowhere near 'new'.. :eek:

4. Ramsey

Ramsey Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    It's frowned upon on this forum to leave bad (or not excellent) feedback but i do feel that these type of situations warrant bad feedback. People tend to throw around "New" way too often. Not sure if it's related to their sentiment about their gear or purposly giving inadeqaute information in order to sell quicker...

5. poopstick

poopstick Mu-43 Regular

Aug 9, 2013
    Burlington Ontario
    If the seller knowingly sold those as "new", then I would say that warrants bad feedback.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    Are you serious? If someone misleads another then others should be warned or the individual will continue to mislead. This makes me seriously hesitant to buy anything used from this forum if the "standard" practice is not to leave bad feedback when someone misleads you about the item you are buying.

Personally I would leave bad feedback on this because you were told you were getting something new in box and you did not get what you paid for.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. mcrosa

mcrosa Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2013
    Miami, Florida
    Mike Crosa
    Agree. New is new and used is used.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Robb

Robb Mu-43 Regular

Jun 2, 2014
    Sydney
    Rob
    Name and shame this person there is no way that's it's new the caps show signs of everyday wear and tear.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    I just sold one of these on Amazon that I only listed as very good and they were in better condition than those.

I've never heard that leaving bad feedback is frowned on. Leaving it without at least contacting, or trying to contact, the seller maybe. I mean mistakes can happen. But those do not appear new.

10. MadMan

MadMan Mu-43 Regular

Mar 27, 2013
    I would say in these cases that you do contact the seller and try to work it out before you consider leaving negative feedback. But it sounds like you have tried this, to no avail, so ... yes, by all means, leave negative feedback! If anyone tells you this is "frowned upon," you should reply: if people don't even leave negative feedback when it is deserved, then what is the point of even HAVING a feedback system?

• Agree Agree x 4
  11. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    I agree with everyone else . . . leave negative feedback and name the scoundrel. We ALL benefit when we know who to avoid.

12. stuntman

stuntman M43 FOR THIRDS 4 EVER

Jul 6, 2011
    Connecticut
    ED
    There are a lot of "MEMBERS" that are in fact only Ebay type sellers that post stuff for sale here on M43. If you check their profiles, they have never posted anything except things like "New in box", "My grand ma died and left me this", "I changed formats". There should be a rule here that in order to post on "Member Buy/SELL", you should be a bonified member with at least 10 real posts in the forums. This will get these types out of our hair really quick! There are TOO many of these Craigslist/Ebay savvy scammers out there that know exactly how to play the system on every camera forum. I've bought a LOT of stuff here with really nice stand up people. I have also dealt with a few real snakes that I smelled out before it was too late. CAVEAT EMPTOR.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  13. m43happy

m43happy Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 18, 2012
    It should be frowned upon to not leave negative feedback when it's warranted.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. xxjorelxx

xxjorelxx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 11, 2012
    MD, USA
    JohnRae
    I think i've spotted the seller just by looking through our "for sale" section o_O

15. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Yeah, those don't look "new"

they look fine, but to sell as "never been used" condition is not honest, IMO.

"scammed" is a strong word, though. More like seller misrepresented condition. Given the price of the item, I'd ask for like $15 off or a refund, with the alternative being a bad review.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. AdamSF

AdamSF Shutterbugger

Oct 13, 2013
    San Francisco, CA
    Adam
    He clearly misrepresented the items. He declined to rectify the situation, was rude, and gave an "explanation" that sounds to me like BS. I wouldn't waste any more time or energy over this guy. Leave a bad review, accept that the equipment is useable if not pristine, and go take some pictures.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. stuntman

stuntman M43 FOR THIRDS 4 EVER

Jul 6, 2011
    Connecticut
    ED
    I am only trying to make a point here. These people that are posing as "members" are not "US,, i.e, you and me." on m43. If any of you, our family, you folks and friends of m43 posted something for sale, you would be instantly recognized as an honest seller by just doing a PROFILE search. I do this with conviction, after getting ripped off three times, to find out who I am dealing with. No Posts on m43 and you claim you are a member?.....No Deal! I have gotten stellar deals from real members here that are honest as the day is long and it's a pleasure buying/selling to our valid family of friends...not scammers. I just got my EM10, my 25mm and my 45mm from a real member here and he even gave me all the extra things like filters. He even emailed me to say he could not find the lens cap for the 45 and he said he would order one for me. I told him not to worry but the lens cap showed before the rest. THIS is a standup member! This is why I love m43 and our community. Sorry for the rant....Ugh!
    Cheers

Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
    • Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 2
  18. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    There is a Nikon related forum that has a 180 day and 300 post (meaningful) requirement to use or even see the for sale area. I think those numbers are a bit high, but it does limit the flybys. I've never understood why you shouldn't be able to access the area to buy something and just have a restriction to post, but that's up to the site owners so...

Maybe a month and 25 (meaningful) posts to create a post? I wouldn't want to stop people from accessing the area. It's too useful an area for those starting out.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Jfrader

Jfrader Guest

I came over here from the Pentax Users Forum (still post over there occasionally.) They also have a "paid subscription or x number of posts" rule for posting in the buy/sell section. Keeps the commercial sellers out.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    May I ask where you got this impression? I haven't browsed buy/sell frequently, but as others have said, I don't think I've ever come across a buy/sell forum that had this mentality.

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.