Have GX1/20/14-45. Need rec. for longer lens for travel/street. 45 1.7 or 35-100 4-5.6?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by paullgj, Jan 12, 2018.

1. paullgj

paullgj Mu-43 Regular

Sep 16, 2011
    Brownsville, TX
    Hi! I have a GX1 with a 20 mm and 14-45 as my lenses. Use - travel/street. I plan on keeping the GX1 for awhile as I like the size/build/discrete etc. But I'd like a little more reach - 35-100 f4.0-5.6, or maybe just the 45 1.7 prime? The latter doesn't increase the reach, but I'd have a 20/45 prime travel kit. So it comes down to a choice between the two. Is there a big difference in IQ between the two?

2. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    The 45 would not give you any more reach, if that is what you are looking for.

Do you prefer shooting with your 20mm prime, or with the 14-45 zoom? Some people prefer one over the other. If you prefer prime shooting, I would suggest the Oly or Sigma 60mm for a quasi-telephoto lens with great IQ. If you prefer zooms, you can't go wrong with the Oly 40-150R. Yes it is plastic, yes it is somewhat slow, but for what they go for used or refurbished, they are one of the best bang for the buck lenses in mft.

Another prime option is the Oly 75. It is an outstanding lens, but it is also pricy. As for other zooms, many like the P45-175 or the 35-100 you already mentioned.

3. paullgj

paullgj Mu-43 Regular

Sep 16, 2011
    Brownsville, TX
    For the street definitely prefer the 20 mm prime. Will look on KEH for a 75 mm prime.

4. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    They come up in the Buy & Sell section regularly as well.

For a little outside of the box suggestion: If you do prefer primes, you could get a Sigma 30 1.4 (outstanding lens) and Sigma 60 2.8 for approximately the same cost as a used Oly 75. That would give you a wonderful trinity of P20, S30, S60 that is relatively compact, and produces great IQ.

5. longviewer

longviewer Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Oct 22, 2015
    SW Washington (Longview area)
    Jim R
    I would have suggested the 45-150 which I enjoy with my GX1. Can be found cheaper but at 100mm it's f5.5 so no speed benefit at all.

I definitely enjoyed my time with the Sigma 60, not as speedy as the 75 but the price is easier.

6. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    Very different lenses. What do you plan to use them for?
    I don't know what the pricing is like now, but I would also take a look at Pana 45-175mm.
    The 45/42.5mm fast primes are great for portraits or just to get closer in a scene. Also great in lower light situations where you want to get closer. The 45mm/1.8 is probably my most used lens for street photography . but that's a matter to style of course.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.