1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Have E-PM1 with 2 lenses. What is a good value in Olympus bodies now?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by onewheeltom, Dec 28, 2015.

1. onewheeltom

onewheeltom Mu-43 Regular

Nov 18, 2015
    Cary, NC
    Tom Karches
    Bought a used E-PM1 with 14-42mm lens in early November. Love the camera and the form factor. Purchased the 40-150mm zoom. Will be traveling to Wyoming this summer and would like a second body as both an upgrade and as a way to keep 2 different lenses handy.

My style is a combination of street, nature and architecture. Want to stay small. My first big trip to Europe I carried only an Olympus XA.

Thinking about how to get into wide angle. Considering a Pany 12-32 to accomplish this, but may want to get into wide angle with a prime or a wider zoom. I am not a pixel peeper. Want good IQ but the image is most important to me.

Considering my preferences, what is the best value in used Olympus bodies and m43 lenses right now? Would prefer being able to maintain accessory compatibility...for batteries, viewfinders. Would rather spend my $$ on good glass than the newest body. Thoughts?

Thanks,
    Tom

2. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    Olympus is having a 'Fire Sale' on the Olympus E-P5. I've seen them for less than $400 (US dollars) which is a steal!
    Good Luck in whatever you decide.
    Bobby :coffee-30:
    PS, they are dumping their stock to get ready for a new model Pen next year.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    If you can find a new E-P5 offered in one of those $349-$399 sales, don't think. Just pull the trigger. If you can't find any more of those, then this has to be the best deal... and it's brand-new with warranty!

Olympus E-PL6 Mirrorless Micro Four Thirds Camera V205051BU000

Also, keep an eye out for periodic 20% off sales on reconditioned Olympus camera bodies and lenses. Sign up for e-mail alerts, identify the item you're interested in and then when the sales appear, just pull the trigger:

Outlet Store | Olympus

Last edited: Dec 31, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    Another great deal is the classic original E-M5 for $379 (US Dollars):
    Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mirrorless Micro Four Thirds V204040SU000 B&H
    It's a few years old tech but still a great camera with a new warranty from Olympus!
    Bobby :coffee-30:
    PS, If you decide to buy from B&H use the link from this website please. The more we can do to help mu-43s' the longer it will be here.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2015
  5. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    Like this one?

Last chance to grab this: E-P5 for $349 at Adorama. | 43 Rumors

Note from Amin: If you want Mu-43 to get the affiliate credit instead of 43Rumors, use these links instead to buy the E-P5 for $349 at Adorama:

Black: http://www.adorama.com/IOMEP5B.html

Silver: http://www.adorama.com/IOMEP5S.html

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Bingo. That's a pretty high spec Oly body priced to clear stock before the new pen comes out in 2016. The sensor and 5 axis is A notable improvement over the E-PM1. BTW, I still have my E-PM1 and its a great small body.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. nuclearboy

nuclearboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2011
    USA
    Get the E-P5. It solves the shutter shock issue and is a joy to use compared to the other pens with their limited controls. The E-P5 is also extremely fast to start up (faster than my new EM5ii), gives you 1/8000 second shutter speed, a machine gun fast ~10 fps shooting, and wifi to transfer pictures to your phone. The price is currently great.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

You may consider the wcon-p01 for your 14-42 as a wide angle solution. Although often you can find gray market 12-32's for not much more than the Wcon, so you may not be any better off.

9. onewheeltom

Nov 18, 2015
    Cary, NC
    Tom Karches
    Or spend a little more and find a used Oly 9-18.

--tom

10. onewheeltom

Nov 18, 2015
    Cary, NC
    Tom Karches
    Just ordered the silver E-P5 body from Adorama....unless I hear otherwise, the offer is still good.
    --tom

• Like Like x 3
  11. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Top bargains I can think of:

New
    Olympus E-P5 as mentioned
    Olympus E-PL6 ending today, newegg.com has an extra $50 off, so $250

Olympus refurbished
    Olympus E-PL7 ($319)

Used
    Olympus E-M10 mkI
    Panasonic GX7

The Panasonic GM1/GM5 are also bargains right now but you gave to WANT small, they are both very good, they're just also very small.

The P12-32 is a great little lens, I'd even remove the "kit" when describing it. And i find the 12-14mm range much more of an addition than i mind losing the 32-42mm range.

12. Jfrader

Jfrader Guest

The Oly 9-14mm will match your PEN bodies very well and stay in that "small" range. If the budget can handle it, you might also look at the 17mm f/1.8 and 12mm f/2 primes. The 12/2 in particular is an excellent and very small lens but not cheap.

13. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    A used OMD E-M10 would give you the same battery as the E-PM1 (BLS series) as opposed the BLN series used on the E-P5 which was and maybe still is on sale for $349/$399. You don't want to be carrying 2 different sets of batteries with different chargers. In regards to lenses, have you thought about getting the 9mm BCL fisheye? It's cheap, very wide @ 9mm fisheye and when de-fished (which is easy to do with DXO ViewPoint) gives a similar or slight wider than 9mm @ f/8 and good image IQ print up to 16x20 max using DXO Optics Pro magic (increase detail, reduce noise, increase micro-contrast and removing pink fringing). For indoor wide, 12mm is just not wide enough especially if you're shooting indoors in Europe. Min 9mm. For travel, I carry the Olympus 9mm fisheye body cap, Panny 14-42 X Vario (sharper than normal kit 14-42 kit lens) and a Panny 35-100 f/2.8 lens. If I expect to shoot the milky way however, then I would replace the 9mm body cap with my much sharper Bower 10mm f/2 (14mm + focal reducer).

14. onewheeltom

Nov 18, 2015
    Cary, NC
    Tom Karches
    Have been thinking about the 9mm BCL fisheye. Have already ordered the E-P5 (prefer smaller form factor), so will have to deal with 2 battery types for now.
    Thanks,
    Tom

• Like Like x 1
  15. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    The upside is the BLN batteries last longer on a charge.

16. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    While the E-P5 is wider, taller, and heavier than the E-PM1, it's only about 3mm thicker. Don't be surprised if the E-PM1 gathers dust once you start using the E-P5.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. onewheeltom

Nov 18, 2015
    Cary, NC
    Tom Karches
    Plans are to use the E-P5 as primary and to keep the E-PM1 in the bag with the 9mm BCL or whatever seems appropriate.

18. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    The tilting screen is a real plus. Swing it out horizontal, rest the edge of the lcd against your midsection, and you have an effective waist level finder. It's not for everyone, but it's a very stable shooting position

19. Johnny The Greek

Johnny The Greek Mu-43 Regular

Aug 19, 2015
    I liked the BCL lens but opted for the Samyang 7.5mm fisheye lens because I just wanted sharper results across the frame.