Have anyone try any graduating filter with panasonic 7-14mm lens

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by mie, Dec 28, 2011.

1. mie

mie Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 21, 2011
    sutton bonington
    Firstly, i wanted to buy this lens for landscape photography. I have try to searched but couldnt find any definite answer. Before i buy this lens, i would be interested to know more from forum members.

My plan is to buy the Hitech Graduated Filter Kit

which can fit the Cokin P filter holder

My question is will this solution work with Pana 7-14mm? Does it vignett at 7mm if i use the graduated filter kit?
  2. turbodieselvw

turbodieselvw Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2010
    I don't think the filter holder will fit on the lens.
  3. 43hk

43hk Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2010
    Think large filter and large holder. 7mm is ultra-wide.

Have heard of this being done with something similar to the 7-14 lens cap (with felted grip) pushed back completely behind the open part of the glare baffle. The end of the cap was removed to create a ring that supported the filter holder.

The trick is to not have the ring visible while supporting a large filter.

Will require some experimentation but should work.
  4. Vulpix

Vulpix Mu-43 Regular

Dec 23, 2011
    I'm not sure about the 7-14mm, but from my experience with WA lenses with a bulb like front element, for long exposures using GND filters, you will see the outer area of the photo having a different exposure to the middle. From what I understand it only happens in extreme exposures. I have a Lee Big Stopper and I'm clueless how I'm going to mount the foundation kit on my 14-42X... Or my future 7-14mm... :rofl:
  5. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Not only will there be a noticeable difference in the exposure due to the relative thickness of the filter staight through (at center) vs. at a significant angle at the edges, but if the filter is inexpensive and not great quality there is a good chance that change in exposure will not be constant, and will likely result in noticeably blotchy transitioning. I noticed this when using my Pentax 16-45mm lens (not nearly as wide, and the front element is relatively flat) using an inexpensive IR filter.
  6. mie

mie Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 21, 2011
    sutton bonington
    Thank you for all the reply. While searching the net, i managed to find something similar to what i have mention here. The solution will be something like this:
    Lumix 7-14mm WA Lens Filter Adaptor
    It might involve a DIY solution in order to fit the filter holder on to the lens itself. But i'm a bit worried about vignetting with the smaller filter holder as a few had mention here. This might affect my decision on buying this lens or should i say that it will be much easier if i just buy the olympus 9-18mm as it can accept filter. Hurm...but i really like the ultrawide focal length at 7mm.
  7. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    I'd say the 9-18mm is quite a bit more practical. Significantly smaller, equally well built, takes filters, and the focal range dabbles into 'normal' territory on the long end...meaning it can stay on your camera in more situations than the 7-14mm can. Oh, and a whole lot cheaper too :)
  8. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    I have the 7-14 and Cokins P series grads. The lens is too wide to use them and you'll se the edge of the filter. The simple solution is to bracket your shots and blend them in post processing.

9. CPWarner

CPWarner Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 24, 2010
    Lee filters are just wide enough for the 7-14mm, but you will need to make a custom adapter as mentioned earlier in this thread. I have hand held graduated ND filters on my 7-14, but was working on a design for an adapter for my Lee system.
  10. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

You could gaff tape the filter on. It wouldn't be pretty but it would work. I have never tried using a filter on a extra wide or fisheye but I have seen some who have done it. Every time it was either a custom made filter holder or a converted one. A 4x4 should be big enough , I would think. There is a 6x6 size however for cinema and large format cameras but they are super pricey.
  11. mie

mie Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 21, 2011
    sutton bonington
    Thanks for posting this. Now i know that the P series grads from Cokin might be too small for the 7-14mm.

The Lee filters will be out of my reach as it will be more expensive than Cokin.

I know it will be pricey. That's why i'm looking at the Cokin P series. However it seems that the P series will be too small to cover the whole lens as Gordon has noted here. The P series will be a better choice for me and in my budget range but it seems that i have to scrap my plan and probably just but the oly 9-18mm or just buy the 7-14mm, do bracketing and merge them in post.
  12. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    Just 2mm makes a great deal of difference to the FoV in an ultra-wide.

Olympus Zuiko lens field of view comparison

I had the 9-18 for a couple of days, sent it back for a 7-14, a true ultra-wide, I have no regrets.