Have a GX9 and an OMD-EM5 MK1. Want to replace the Olympus.

Paolo Damiani

New to Mu-43
So, I'm having a decision making crisis. I moved away from the Olympus bodies after using the LX-100 for a couple of years and really liked the menuing system and physical ergonomics.

I like the GX9 despite its quirks and the sub-par EVF. Switching back and forth between the GX9 and EM5 is clumsy as the familiarity with the Olympus has faded.

So, I want to replace the Olympus as my second body. Right now the choices appear to be:

A GX85. Either used or new. A friend has one and it feels very familiar due to its similarity to the GX9. Used ones are pretty cheap and the new ones with a two lens kit are pretty reasonable. No AA filter on the sensor which is nice. Smaller sensor than my GX9 but I'm not sure that it make a huge difference. Batteries are the same as the GX9 and the LX100 which is handy.

A used GX8. I always wanted one but got a bit spooked by the shutter shock rumors. Clearly an improvement in the EVF, weather sealed, etc. etc. Good condition ones can be had for less than a GX9. I'm wondering if there is a signficant difference in image rendering compared to the GX9 due to the AA filter.

Another GX9? This really eliminates the variables between cameras. My GAS meter says this is a pragmatic but boring choice.

A new G9. Clearly, this would become the new number one camera, but I really prefer the rangefinder type body. However, the G9 appears to do everything the GX9 can and more. Plus there's weather sealing, better IBIS, apparently one of the best EVFs ever. One issue is that buying one of these will eat into my lens budget.

I do a fair amount of macro work so focus bracketing would be handy (the GX8 never got it, did it?). I shoot RAW almost exclusively so the JPG engine in each body is not as critical as it might be for some.

So, what would be the opinions here on IQ, IBIS, EVF among the four options. I've read a lot of reviews and have the hands on experience with the GX9 and GX85 but not the other two. So anyone elses experiences would be welcome.

Thanks.

Real Name
Butch
So, I'm having a decision making crisis. I moved away from the Olympus bodies after using the LX-100 for a couple of years and really liked the menuing system and physical ergonomics.

I like the GX9 despite its quirks and the sub-par EVF. Switching back and forth between the GX9 and EM5 is clumsy as the familiarity with the Olympus has faded.

So, I want to replace the Olympus as my second body. Right now the choices appear to be:

A GX85. Either used or new. A friend has one and it feels very familiar due to its similarity to the GX9. Used ones are pretty cheap and the new ones with a two lens kit are pretty reasonable. No AA filter on the sensor which is nice. Smaller sensor than my GX9 but I'm not sure that it make a huge difference. Batteries are the same as the GX9 and the LX100 which is handy.

A used GX8. I always wanted one but got a bit spooked by the shutter shock rumors. Clearly an improvement in the EVF, weather sealed, etc. etc. Good condition ones can be had for less than a GX9. I'm wondering if there is a signficant difference in image rendering compared to the GX9 due to the AA filter.

Another GX9? This really eliminates the variables between cameras. My GAS meter says this is a pragmatic but boring choice.

A new G9. Clearly, this would become the new number one camera, but I really prefer the rangefinder type body. However, the G9 appears to do everything the GX9 can and more. Plus there's weather sealing, better IBIS, apparently one of the best EVFs ever. One issue is that buying one of these will eat into my lens budget.

I do a fair amount of macro work so focus bracketing would be handy (the GX8 never got it, did it?). I shoot RAW almost exclusively so the JPG engine in each body is not as critical as it might be for some.

So, what would be the opinions here on IQ, IBIS, EVF among the four options. I've read a lot of reviews and have the hands on experience with the GX9 and GX85 but not the other two. So anyone elses experiences would be welcome.

Thanks.
I have two GX7s, a black one and a silver one and find that is a pretty good pair and there's no problem switching back and forth...ymmv

Bif

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Bruce Foreman
Consider a G85. Available on B&H right now (promotional offer) with 2 lenses. The Lumix 12-60mm f3.5 - 5.6 which makes a weather sealed combo when mounted on the G85 body, and the Lumix 45-200 f4 - 5.6 which is also splash and dustproof on the G85. The 12-60mm is not a bad general purpose lens, all 3 of mine are sharp at both ends of the zoom range. Check it out here:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1376560-REG/panasonic_lumix_dmc_g85_mirrorless_micro.html

The G85 will feel familiar to the E-M5 but with a slight bit more "heft" and a bit more ruggedized. It shares the much improved EVF of the GH4, GH5, and GX8. Menu interface should be similar to other current Lumix bodies.

IMHO, if I have two cameras they should complement each other, so I would want a camera that does things that the GX9 may lack despite its own drawbacks. EG a G9.

SkiHound

Mu-43 Veteran
I think it depends on why you want a second camera. If it's to carry two bodies with different lenses, then something very similar to the GX9, probably another GX9 would seem to make the most sense in terms of consistency and continuity. If it's because the GX9 lacks something you want or need, then ... I'd mostly been using Olympus bodies. Last Spring (2018) I bought a GX9 primarily for use when traveling, walking about on the street, and generally have with me as a daily companion. I've loved it in that role. Most fun camera I've ever used. But, as you noted it has some limitations as an all around, do everything body. The EVF works OK for me but isn't wonderful. And for me the lack of weather sealing and a way to connect a remote shutter release other than phone app were major limitations. I live near the coast and like to go down and shoot waves, water flowing into inlets, etc. Not a good place for a non-environmentally sealed camera. Delayed release doesn't cut it when trying to time water movements. And dealing with a tripod, camera, AND phone down on the rocks is less than ideal. I also liked the 4k photo features of the GX9 and thought the same features in 6K would be a really nice addition. Since I liked the menu system on the GX9 pretty well, I opted to add a G9 a short while back. For me, these are complimentary bodies with enough similarities that it's not hard moving back and forth. The G9 won't replace the GX9 for travel and street. But is much better in other roles.

I had the GX-8 and got tired of messing with the electronic controls. I got the G-9 and find it fascinating and somewhat challenging. You have plenty of manual controls,including ISO. If you know the rhythm of Panny ,perhaps you will like it. It has blazingly complex settings even for basic picture taking. I don't know if I have entirely mastered it,but the EVF shots appear as poor quality renditions unless you are also taking jpegs.The image on your touchscreen is so dim ,that it is almost useless in daylight. The focusing icons are hardly visible,so you will mostly rely on the eye piece.
If you use area focus the number of squares goes back to default ,so you have to adjust them every time you turn on the camera. Mercifully you can set them back to center focus with the extremely nice joystick, plus set the focal point with same.
Point focus won't turn on sometimes ,them mysteriously ,will turn on. Adjusting the camera consists of punching various buttons in a certain sequence ,but if to push a button too many times,you will go to menu,Or the size ot the focal screen wants to be adjusted or be moved,instead of the operation you want to perform.Or you have a giant white box for a focal point,then you have to push some other button to get four pointy yellow arrows to appear,then you can roll a button to change the size back to what you wanted,and so on. I hate Panny menus,but still love the results the camera. And importantly, it is weather sealed,for when(if ever) I go out in the rain to take pictures. And I really like how it automatically goes to electronic shutter,so no worry about shutter shock or over exposure.( but some people worry about electronic shutter banding,or rolling shutter) But it works for me.

SkiHound

Mu-43 Veteran
There are lots of controls and options on the G9. And one needs to take time to learn how to effectively use any modern camera because there are many features and menus. But I find the Panasonic interface among the most user friendly. Not sure what you're doing but I usually use single point autofocus and it never changes unless I change it. Once in a while I've been using the custom multi-point and once I've set that it hasn't changed. Now if you are using multi-point focus, the camera will choose the point(s) of highest contrast. So with any half press of the shutter the camera may be selecting different points. And the selected point(s) become green when in focus. I tend not to like multi-point focus because the camera is choosing. I do use it when shooting moving subjects using CAF. Look up some of the tutorials on line, sit and work with settings on the camera every day. Work through the manual. There is a learning curve. But I don't know of any modern camera for which there is not.

Tom M

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Tom
I just upgraded my OMD EM5 Mk 1 to a G9 and could not be happier. I have only had it a couple of weeks but the autofocus is incredible and the image stabilization has allowed me to shoot 0.6 sec 150mm hand held with my hand tremor. Still learning all it can do.

Turbofrog

Mu-43 Legend
I set my image quality to “RAW + JPEG”. This displays the high quality JPEG image when you preview, instead of the poor quality embedded JPEG with the RAW file.
It is a bit of a bummer that you have to do it this way, though. I only shot RAW on a recent 2 month backpacking trip to save card space, and there were a few circumstances (i.e. astrophotography) where I had missed focus that I didn't notice because of the low-res RAW preview.

bassman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
The Bassman
It is a bit of a bummer that you have to do it this way, though. I only shot RAW on a recent 2 month backpacking trip to save card space, and there were a few circumstances (i.e. astrophotography) where I had missed focus that I didn't notice because of the low-res RAW preview.
You don’t need a full sized jpeg to improve the preview quality. Experiment with smaller sizes and see how it works for you.

Turbofrog

Mu-43 Legend
You don’t need a full sized jpeg to improve the preview quality. Experiment with smaller sizes and see how it works for you.
Fair point. Apparently the embedded preview in .RW2 files is only 1920x1440, so 2.7MP...

ToxicTabasco

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
ToxicTabasco
I agree with Bif. The G85 would be a nice replacement, for photo and 4K ability. The handling and egronomics will carry over easy. Another option would be to get another GX9.

However, if you plan to explore other aspects of photography like widlilfe and 4K video, the G9 would be a great choice at a great price.

The G9 is an amazing camera - the ergonomics are phenomenal. It has been out long enough that you can find used or open box for around $1000. You might also consider the G95. Slightly smaller and better video features than the G9.

I suggest buying something with a 20MP sensor as both Panasonic and Olympus have standardized on 20MP.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom