Have a GF1 - Should I upgrade or compliment?

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by amberzombie, May 20, 2012.

1. amberzombie

amberzombie Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 28, 2010
    With my GF1 is the 20mm and 14-45mm kit lens.

Really liking it but what I've found is that I REALLY prefer to shoot with a viewfinder.

I did think of just getting an LVF-1 but with the quality of the new cameras and EVF's it would be probably be money wasted.

So I've been contemplating either selling the GF1 and getting the GX1 with LVF-2, or keeping the GF1 as a backup (and as an inconspicuous party-shooter) and either getting a GH2 or G3.

What do you guys think?
  2. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    How much will you still get for the GF1? Does that sum offset the value of having an additional body? As for what you should get, I guess that depends on which form factor you prefer to shoot with, and whether the 'mini SLR' shaped body of the GH2/G3 is what you're after.

I will say having an easily pocketable camera for parties and the like is great - for me that's the GF2, with the E-M5 as my 'big' mu43 camera. Although honestly, both are just about equally pocketable. But for parties the lack of dials, knobs, switches and presence of built-in flash is actually kind of advantageous.
  3. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    I'd pick up a G3 body. They are popping up in the classifieds pretty regularly. The viewfinder is SWEET. After you have it awhile, you may decide that you don't need the gf1 anymore. I don't see the GX1 as being that much better than the G3 to justify the extra cost (especially after you add a VF).
  4. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I upgraded.

The G3 is a huge step up in IQ, especially in low light. The actual size is closer to the same than you would think. The tilt/swivel screen is another big plus.

That said, the G3 doesn't have the same "magic" as the GF1 - it doesn't elicit the same emotional response from using it. IDK if the GX1 would foster those same feelings, but maybe.
  5. PointZero

PointZero Mu-43 Regular

Apr 28, 2011
    I agree, there was something "special" about the GF1.

To OP: Consider the G3 as suggested. It has gotten much smaller, since days of the old G1. I had the chance to play with one the other day and was very surprised by how small it was. You can think of it as a GF1 with a molded EVF permanently stuck on. Also, you have a larger and more substantial grip. Aside from that, it's not very different. And this is coming from someone that uses an E-PM1.