Have a g3, want to upgrade to g5, am I mad?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Acliff, Oct 15, 2012.

1. Acliff

Acliff Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 21, 2011
    Southampton, UK
    Hi guys,

I have been pondering for a while about upgrading my G3.
    I like the photos that I get, the speed improvements (both operational and low light) to the G1 that I had, and the GH1 that I have kicking around, but try as I might, I can't get on with the handling.

I bonded very well with some of my previous cameras, sometimes taking photos through the sheer joy of use (like the Leica M2, Konica Minolta 7D, Pentax K10 and the rubber covered G1/GH1) but not so much with the G3.

I think the lack of the eye sensor, the lack of grip and lack of buttons is making me leave it at home or not take as many photos that I would like.

I was trying to decide between the EM5 and the G5 (GH3 is too big and way out of my budget) but having wandered into my local Jessops to have a feel, the EM5 felt a bit sharp in my hand. Despite the free 45mm f1.8 offer in the UK at the moment (I have it already, so if I went for the EM5, the lens would be sold to subsidise the cost) I would likely need to buy the additional grip, which would effectively be paid by the 45mm. £1149 with the 12-50 lens and 2y warranty.

The G5 felt really really sweet in the hand, I like the return of the eye sensor, the chunky grip, the second adjustment dial, the electronic shutter. The body would cost me £475 after cashback with 3y warranty. Less than half the body price of the EM5 (with what I feel would be the mandatory grip set)

When I got home, I dug out the GH1, and fell in love with the handling again (except for the dial at the front, its easier to push the dial in with the thumb than the index finger in my opinion) and the rubberised finish. Then I played around with it in my fairly dark living room, and realised why I went for the G3 in the first place!
    All through this, my girlfriend was thinking I was mad, until asked her to try the G3 and then the GH1 with the 14-140mm lens attached.

The G5 seems like the best option for me, taking into account: cost, value, ergonomics, but why do I keep on looking at EM5 reviews? Weather resistance and IBIS appeal, but the electronic shutter and my almost pathological need to protect my gadgets and keep them minty fresh should make up for it.

Have other people upgraded from the G3 to the G5 or even the EM5 due to handling?

• Like Like x 1
  2. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    I'm a huge fan of the E-M5, it suits me down to the ground and I would love to recommend it. However, I think you've just made a convincing case to get yourself a G5!

3. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    I think the G5 is a huge upgrade from the G3 in terms of handling, having made the same upgrade myself. They're very similar cameras in a lot of respects, but the grip is just leaps and bounds better for me in terms of comfort. The larger battery is a nice upgrade too, the G3 used to eat batteries but I've yet to run the G5 completely flat during a day of normal shooting.

My $0.02 would be that if you like the G5 over the G3 for the grip then you'd want the OM-D EM-5 + the $300 grip option anyway. In light of that I'd say get the G5 for now, and the OM-D will only come down in price so you can always find a deal on one used later down the road.

I'm looking at doing something similar by picking up a GH3 (it will replace the G5 for me) and then maybe picking up an OM-D used when the price comes down. I can see them as being very complementary cameras with little to no compromise in IQ. That's important to me since I know from experience that having 2 camera bodies at hand means whichever one has the better sensor almost always ends up in my bag :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 2
  4. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    I have been looking to upgrade my G2 (virtually identical to your G/GH1). The G5 seems like the best bet. My gf has a G3. It's a beautifully made camera, very compact if used with something like the 20mm. She loves it, and it seems a lot of forum members are happy with the G3 as well. I just can't get used to it.

I think us G/GH owners are just spoiled by the great controls and ergos. New owners to the G3 just don't have the expectations we do. My biggest issue was the removal of the eye sensor... seriously Panasonic what was that about?

Anyways the G5 seems to be what the G3 should have been, at least they listened to the complaints. :rolleyes:

5. foxtail1

foxtail1 Science geek & photo nut

Dec 30, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Kristi
    I don't have that much basis for comparison, as the G3 was my first µ4/3 camera, but I am very glad I upgraded to the G5. The ergonomics are just so much better. I too am seeing good battery life compared to the G3.

I still need to get around to reading the manual, as I've barely scratched the surface of what it will do, but I'm very pleased with it.

6. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    What's the deal w/ the electronic shutter? I was under the impression once this happened, we could do high speed flash sync. But this is not the case? And given you can turn it on/off... what are the downfalls?

And I went from the G3->E-M5 because of control and build mostly (look and IQ were after). And now IBIS is hard for me to give up with a 75/1.8. Little things like separate SD/battery are great, too. I personally don't like how oly did their grip, so JLM's grip has worked awesome for me.

I also would like to note I despise Panasonic's use of a resistive touchscreen. It has hard to go back to the G3 when I need to use it.

I'd still probably do it today, but the G5 fixes a lot of the button issues I have with the G3... it's hard to ignore. Sounds like it'd be a worthy upgrade for you.

7. jloden

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Different kinds of electronic shutter - you're talking about an electronic global shutter that provides for high speed flash sync, and the G5 has an electronic rolling shutter option.

The downside is it can produce distortion and blur on moving subjects so is mainly recommended for static subjects. Upside is silent operation and potentially clearer shots when shooting from a tripod w/remote shutter release, avoiding the vibration from the shutter itself.

8. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    I don't remember the last time I saw this word used correctly (or maybe I should say spelled correctly?) in an online forum. :D :th_salute: :hail: :wink:

• Like Like x 1
  9. jloden

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    LOL... :th_salute:

10. napilopez

napilopez Contributing Editor

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC Area
    Napier Lopez
    I don't think you're mad at all. I'm very happy with my G3, but a few weeks ago I went to B&H and decided to check out the G5 while I was there. I fell in love with the handling. It was just about perfect for me. While I still prefer the E-M5 body on the whole, the new grip a huge improvement. The eye sensor, less readout lag, and extra control points and buttons do make it a worthwhile upgrade from a handling and ergonomics perspective. Then you also have the better screen, electronic shutter, better video, and faster burst and I can totally see it being a worthwhile upgrade. Not a necessary upgrade(and how often is that the case, really?), but it it makes you go out and shoot more, go for it.

11. Acliff

Acliff Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 21, 2011
    Southampton, UK
    Thanks for your input guys, it's very helpful to read some real world opinions rather than getting lost in technical reviews. For example although generally capacitive is reviewed to be a better technology, you can't use it with gloves or if there is much water on it. (I don't fancy wearing gloves with what is effectively chewing gum wrappers on the fingertips) I recall there being a waterproof compact camera, maybe a Sony, with a capacitive touchscreen for changing settings that would not work submerged.

Also with my stable of lenses, the panasonic's in camera lens correction will be quite handy for the panasonic lenses (p14, p20, p14-140 and a oly45)

I will go try the cameras once last time, see whether I can handle the em5 with the grip (the silver em5 still tugs at the heart strings) and see whether that changes things.

Overall, it looks like there is a g5 for me in future, with a secondary decision whether to go for the kit that comes with the 14-42x lens...

12. dogs100

dogs100 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 12, 2011
    N Devon UK
    Geoff
    You have confused me (easily done), is this an 'in joke'? I thought complement and compliment were two different words and in this case used correctly.

Why do I think I have just swallowed a sucker bait :redface: :smile:

13. Acliff

Acliff Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 21, 2011
    Southampton, UK
    I think it was a complimentary comment regarding your correct use of complementary ;)

• Like Like x 1
  14. greyelm

greyelm Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2010
    London
    Malcolm
    I have a G3 and I know what you mean about handling, I keep touching the menu button with my thumb. However I can live with this as I still like the small size. My main camera is the Fuji X100 but I would certainly consider the G5 if m4/3 was my main camera.

If the G3 menu could be locked like the X100 I would be pleased.

15. arad85

arad85 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    I have both. I now never use the G3.

16. dogs100

dogs100 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 12, 2011
    N Devon UK
    Geoff
    I said I was easily confused ... :rofl:

17. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    I think this got sorted out :smile: but what I meant was that in 999,999 cases out of 1,000,000 people use compliment when they mean complement. :rolleyes:

18. Acliff

Acliff Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 21, 2011
    Southampton, UK
    So I've pressed the trigger on the Panasonic G5 on what my online research suggests is an excellent deal! Once I sell my GH1 and G3, it would have been a free upgrade. (satisfactory explanation to my girlfriend)
    Thanks for your views guys.