1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

have a dilemma. How much better is the g3 at high ISO compared to the EPM-1?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by colbycheese, May 16, 2012.

1. colbycheese

colbycheese Mu-43 Veteran

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    i have an epm-1 and i was planning to buy a viewfinder. i just was reading about the g3 and heard it has better iSO performance at higher levels. I was just wondering becuase i wanted to be able to use a viewfinder with flash. Is the g3 just as good as epm1 with iso? If it is better, i may just buy a g3 body to use with the olympus kit lens. If i get the g3 i could use the viewfinder and a flash. How good is the viewfinder on the g3 compared to ones you can buy for the olympus cameras without viewfinders.

2. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    I've got both, and I would say the G3 is at least one stop better at high-ISO. That's pretty significant to me.

On the other hand, the PM1+14mm Panny is about as small a package as it gets with m43, and I love it for that reason. When IQ is critical I always take the G3.

For some reason the G3 also is far superior at taking very low-light pictures, like at night. The PM1 sensor tends to bloom more; the G3 sensor is just stunning.

EDIT: just saw your question about viewfinders. IMO the G3 viewfinder isn't quite as good as the VF-2, but it's fine--I use it all the time with legacy lenses and in bright light.

The G3 is really a nice complement to the PM1. It's larger, but still very small; has a built-in viewfinder, a swivel-screen, and some nice features you'll wish Oly had adopted (clickable scroll wheel). The new OMD would obviously be a better choice, but at twice the cost of a G3 I'm not sure it's worth it (not for me it isn't; depends on your finances!).

• Like Like x 1
  3. colbycheese

colbycheese Mu-43 Veteran

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    Thanks.

i will buy the g3 when i get the money for it. where is the cheapest place to buy it? i just want to get the body becuase i already have olympus kit lens. Also, does the g3 focus faster or not. I don't care if the body is used i just don't want to pay more than 450.

4. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I have a GH2 and recently sold my E-PM1 and I would say that the GH2 is acceptable to ISO 3200 vs ISO 1600 on the E-PM1. The biggest advantage I think however is that the VF2 seems like a afterthought on the E-PM1 as it is easily dislodged and I always found it clumsy. Also, the VF2+E-PM1 combo is not that much smaller than the G3.

5. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    GX1

The other option that I went with was to go with the Pany GX1 that has a "tweaked" G3 16meg sensor that is superb at low light, the camera is smaller even than my previous GF1 - I also have the LVF2 and it is amazing so a great small, super fast, very well built great low light performer.

I have replaced my 20mm f1.7 with the PanaLeica 25mm f1.4 that is incredible and makes a great lens with the GX1.

These are a couple of images of combo with half case and original 20mm

GX1_street_set.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

GX1_from_above.jpg

GX1_case_rear.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  6. dino8031

dino8031 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 27, 2012
    Boulder, Colorado
    Look at the forum Buy and Sell and Ebay as a second choice. They are selling really cheap now, as low as $350 used with lots in the $400 range.

7. xlerate

xlerate New to Mu-43

Mar 12, 2012
    New York
    Iansky, can I ask which half-case you went with. I have a GX1, with LVF2 & 20mm mainly for street work. I see half cases can run from $20 on eBay up to $110 name brand. I figure While I would like to have the entire case, using the LVF2 would make for me only needing the bottom half.

Thanks

8. Photodan1

Photodan1 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2012
    Nashville, Tennessee, USA
    Dan
    I also have both and like both. A couple of things to consider - first, there is no image stabilization in the olympus kit lens which may or may not be important to you. It could prove useful in low light or shooting video. Also, I would say that the viewfinders are roughly equivalent but on the EPM-1 it takes up your hot shoe so no flash.

The G3 does have a better sensor and you can find one pretty cheap if you look around (same for the EPM-1). I bought a kit with the 14-42 ois lens open box from B&H about 2 months ago for $450. It only had 200 shots on the counter.

9. zap

zap Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 23, 2012
    uk
    G3 is pretty cheap now that G5 has landed.:smile:

10. WT21

WT21 Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    OP ... What lens are you using? If just the kit lens, buy a better lens first.

G3 in my expierience is about a stop better. GH2 and GX1 might be a bit better than that.

11. pointbob

pointbob Mu-43 Regular

Aug 2, 2012
    such a shame that the panny and olympus VF viewfinders are NOT interchangeable. seriously lame.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.