have a dilemma. How much better is the g3 at high ISO compared to the EPM-1?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by colbycheese, May 16, 2012.

1. colbycheese

colbycheese Mu-43 Veteran

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    i have an epm-1 and i was planning to buy a viewfinder. i just was reading about the g3 and heard it has better iSO performance at higher levels. I was just wondering becuase i wanted to be able to use a viewfinder with flash. Is the g3 just as good as epm1 with iso? If it is better, i may just buy a g3 body to use with the olympus kit lens. If i get the g3 i could use the viewfinder and a flash. How good is the viewfinder on the g3 compared to ones you can buy for the olympus cameras without viewfinders.
  2. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    I've got both, and I would say the G3 is at least one stop better at high-ISO. That's pretty significant to me.

On the other hand, the PM1+14mm Panny is about as small a package as it gets with m43, and I love it for that reason. When IQ is critical I always take the G3.

For some reason the G3 also is far superior at taking very low-light pictures, like at night. The PM1 sensor tends to bloom more; the G3 sensor is just stunning.

EDIT: just saw your question about viewfinders. IMO the G3 viewfinder isn't quite as good as the VF-2, but it's fine--I use it all the time with legacy lenses and in bright light.

The G3 is really a nice complement to the PM1. It's larger, but still very small; has a built-in viewfinder, a swivel-screen, and some nice features you'll wish Oly had adopted (clickable scroll wheel). The new OMD would obviously be a better choice, but at twice the cost of a G3 I'm not sure it's worth it (not for me it isn't; depends on your finances!).
    • Like Like x 1
  3. colbycheese

colbycheese Mu-43 Veteran

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.

i will buy the g3 when i get the money for it. where is the cheapest place to buy it? i just want to get the body becuase i already have olympus kit lens. Also, does the g3 focus faster or not. I don't care if the body is used i just don't want to pay more than 450.
  4. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I have a GH2 and recently sold my E-PM1 and I would say that the GH2 is acceptable to ISO 3200 vs ISO 1600 on the E-PM1. The biggest advantage I think however is that the VF2 seems like a afterthought on the E-PM1 as it is easily dislodged and I always found it clumsy. Also, the VF2+E-PM1 combo is not that much smaller than the G3.
  5. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK

The other option that I went with was to go with the Pany GX1 that has a "tweaked" G3 16meg sensor that is superb at low light, the camera is smaller even than my previous GF1 - I also have the LVF2 and it is amazing so a great small, super fast, very well built great low light performer.

I have replaced my 20mm f1.7 with the PanaLeica 25mm f1.4 that is incredible and makes a great lens with the GX1.

These are a couple of images of combo with half case and original 20mm

• Like Like x 1
  6. dino8031

dino8031 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 27, 2012
    Boulder, Colorado
    Look at the forum Buy and Sell and Ebay as a second choice. They are selling really cheap now, as low as $350 used with lots in the $400 range.
  7. xlerate

xlerate New to Mu-43

Mar 12, 2012
    New York
    Iansky, can I ask which half-case you went with. I have a GX1, with LVF2 & 20mm mainly for street work. I see half cases can run from $20 on eBay up to $110 name brand. I figure While I would like to have the entire case, using the LVF2 would make for me only needing the bottom half.

8. Photodan1

Photodan1 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2012
    Nashville, Tennessee, USA
    I also have both and like both. A couple of things to consider - first, there is no image stabilization in the olympus kit lens which may or may not be important to you. It could prove useful in low light or shooting video. Also, I would say that the viewfinders are roughly equivalent but on the EPM-1 it takes up your hot shoe so no flash.

The G3 does have a better sensor and you can find one pretty cheap if you look around (same for the EPM-1). I bought a kit with the 14-42 ois lens open box from B&H about 2 months ago for $450. It only had 200 shots on the counter.
  9. zap

zap Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 23, 2012
    G3 is pretty cheap now that G5 has landed.:smile:
  10. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    OP ... What lens are you using? If just the kit lens, buy a better lens first.

G3 in my expierience is about a stop better. GH2 and GX1 might be a bit better than that.
  11. pointbob

pointbob Mu-43 Regular

Aug 2, 2012
    such a shame that the panny and olympus VF viewfinders are NOT interchangeable. seriously lame.