Hating Things You Do Not Like Syndrome

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by Lawrence A., Sep 12, 2013.

1. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    I seem to make gadget choices that are -- well -- less than the most popular, let's say. So during internet searches, looking for information about them, sometimes to address very specific performance issues (it's often quicker than reading the instructions), I frequently run into quite violent harangues by people who not only don't like the equipment that I have chosen on the basis of my personal needs and extensive research, but seem absolutely to hate it. I mean hate -- violent, unreasonable, blind to other viewpoints, other needs, and enraged that anyone could make a free decision based on their personal preferences hate. I find it psychotic.

We all know how that applies to 4/3 and m43 systems. Full frame zealots have trashed them from the beginning, and even the champions of the marginally bigger APS-C systems do the same. Even in discusssions within a system, it manifests its irritable face.

The phenomenon has struck me again recently because, after buying a Galaxy 7 inch tablet to go on a quick visit to see my ailing mother, I decided on returning home that the tablet experience, which I'd avoided, had advantages I wanted to take advantage of. I did extensive research, and went to Best Buy to check out a number of models. I had $400 to spend; that was it -- not negotiable. I ended up with a Microsoft Surface RT with the touch keyboard, after trying an Ipad 2 and returning it.

The iPad is definitely the sexier item, and I got seduced into ignoring my concerns about additional storage. I need to be able to transfer my photos through any device onto an external HD. The Surface makes that easy. It is also easy to turn a 32gig Surface into a 96 gig surface with the addition of a micro SD card, and you can edit the RT registry to have your programs installed on the removable drive (which, of course, you then cannot move if you want your programs.) And I like easy access to a file system I am familiar with. Transferring the restore drive to a dedicated usb frees up 4 gigs of space.

Anyway, all and all, the Surface just fit my needs better, and I've grown very fond of it. I don't need apps to watch internet TV. I can do that all in the browser, and I find that a huge advantage. I could not get a Galaxy to play the BBC Newshour, although the iPad did. I needed a France24 app for the iPad because it does not have flash.

I don't HATE the ipad, which is a slick piece of kit, or the Galaxy, through which my experience with the 7 inch version spurred me onto a larger tablet.

But the Surface suits me. m43 suits me. I also like fountain pens, despite the occasional mess, prefer to have a dog rather than a cat (though I love cats), would rather live in the desert than among the impressively lush and beautiful greenery of my native (admittedly swampy) New England, and on and on.

When you read the trashing that things get online, it is easy to understand how public discourse has become a shouting match, where we attribute the basest motives to people we disagree with, or dismiss them as benighted, stupid, uninformed. When I was young ( a long time ago, I know), there was a popular assumption that if reasonable people had the same information then they would reach the same conclusions. It's very idealistic, and like so many idealistic ideas, dangerously false.

Reasonable people can - in good faith, with ample detailed information, and without malice - disagree. We are different. Vive la différence!
    • Like Like x 8
  2. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Good that you like the surface. A guy here where I work has one and complains that its sluggish compared to his android tab.
  3. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Larry, Larry, Larry, you shoulda got a Nexus 7, it's MUCH better than the Surface RT....

(sorry, couldn't resist :biggrin:).

Me too - but on some of the FP forums the discussions get pretty intense, depending upon which make/model one prefers. DPPreview has nothing on fountain pen fans.

We currently have one of each...but need neither. We probably should look into some type of therapy...

Larry, you're preachin' to the choir. I'm doomed, of course, because my wife's family all live in Michigan. But the Sonoran desert...ahh, now yer talkin'!

Which explains that whole "Ford guy vs. Chevy guy" thing...

Yep - the problem comes in when unreasonable people disagree :biggrin:.

I don't often get involved in vitriolic discussions, either on line or in person.

Of course it helps immensely that I know that I'm always right...

Glad you found a device that works for you, Larry. I've been toying with the idea of using a tablet for road trips to backup images. My Nexus 7 doesn't fit the bill because it only has 32 gig total space. Currently I use an ancient (as in 5 years old) netbook that has a long battery life and plenty of storage room. But a table offers, of course, other advantages than storage space.

Pax & tranquillitatem!

4. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Man, I just hate those haters :biggrin:
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Lawrence A.

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    I've heard that, but don't find it so. Internet Explorer is a little sluggish, but atthere are rumors the Microsoft will let others build browsers for the device -- a stupid, very Microsoft limitation. They learned nothing from the browser wars. Firefox is said to have one ready, probably waiting for the final 8.1 upgrade in October.

Of course I'm one of those who finds the Panasonic 20mm focus speed perfectly acceptable. Maybe at 62, I just can't keep up with the lighting fast options, and so they don't matter. Don't know.

I have found I'm watching Colbert Report and Jon Stewart once I'm in bed, before shutting out the light. Having given up my cable service long ago, I'm enjoying it. For some reason watching on a tablet is more congenial to me than sitting in front of my desktop or watching on TV.
  6. rnagoda

rnagoda Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I agree with what you're saying, but I notice that you leave the m4/3 crowds' hands clean and mention other system users as the haters. Part of being as open as we all should be is recognizing that the groups we are members of are not innocent ... and certainly the m4/3 crowd and the posters on this very forum are far from free of the hatred you speak of - some people here go out of their way to decry DSLRs and their users in completely nonsensical ways.

As for the Surface - when it was being cleared out for $199 the other week I went over to Staples and tried one out. Seems like a nice device, especially the keyboard options, but not for me for some specific reasons that aren't important here. Definitely worth looking at, though, if you are in the market for a tablet, especially the Surface Pro if your budget allows it.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Think of the 2 sided OS wars of Apple-Windows and iOS-Android people get very passionate about "their side". I'm not sure if the 2 sided Canon-Nikon is as bad. But you witness a primeval "belonging".
    I first noticed this in the early 80's using high end CAD systems in the automotive industry. Besides Fords and GMs internal systems there were 2 main systems broadly in use. CATIA and CV. Where the users took sides very strongly. Having used both I managed to avoid the pointless love-hate emotion. Which helped me remain neutral in these 2 sided battles ever since.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Lawrence A.

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    No, sorry, I did not mean to absolve m43 uses from the syndrome. I suppose neglecting to mention them shows my bias, which I will own up to. There are plenty of good reasons not to go with the Surface or with m43; but not for me. It just seems to me that to start WWWIII over choices that are largely based on personal preferences is -- well -- dumb.
  9. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    You'll find them everywhere, using any format of camera, and in the case of Micro 4/3 I see some of it as a pushback against bullying; where the person bullied becomes a bully themselves. Something as simple as reading the 100th comment that the new 12-40mm f2.8 is actually f5.6 when calculated to 135 format equivalence in depth-of-field and light gathering ability can do strange things to people...
  10. rklepper

rklepper Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    I never understood this either. Computers, cameras, what have you, are tools. Each person uses them differently and will have different needs. Use what works for you and ignore the naysayers.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Drdave944

Drdave944 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2012
    Now you are throwing real light on this. I remember when my dad got a Ford and my friend's dad got a Chevy. Wow what arguments that caused. I was 13 . So this sort of thing is not adolescent but early adolescent in origin!
  12. Lawrence A.

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Another one I don't get. I used to have two Fords (A Ranger and a Bronco when I lived in the country down dirt roads), and now I have two city slicker Chevys, a Cobalt and an Aveo. I've had very good luck with all of them. And a Ford -- an Escape hybrid -- is on my "want" list.
  13. woof

woof Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    The present.
    +1. I agree.

The anonymity of the internet lets a lot of very frustrated people vent at a level that would otherwise be totally unacceptable. And it is becoming widespread. I do not necessarily subscribe to the notion that video games make killers, but I might be persuaded to think that the Internet manufactures sociopaths.

I do not think that the issue is with the reasonable people. I think the issue is that they are the exception these days.

14. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I don't hate things. I hate people that force me to use things I don't like.
  15. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    You're all wrong.

• Like Like x 1
  16. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Not just DSLRs. There's been some testy GH3 vs EM5/1 comments lately. These are all fine bodies, and the differences are mostly matters of how you shoot or even just personal taste. Preferring any of them is in no way disparaging anyone who uses the other.
  17. juangrande

juangrande Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 2, 2012
    This phenomena stems from clueless people's need to identify with their stuff.
    In the words of the excellent and revealing book (and movie), Fight Club, " You are NOT your f!@#$%g kakis!"
  18. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Fear can hold you prisnor ..hope can set you free
  19. MikeR_GF1

MikeR_GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

What I really want to know is the translation of "Du noir s'en vient Le clair qu'il a"

My high school French goes back 50+ years, so I have to admit to being a little rusty. Still, Google translate says, "Black is coming Clear it" which doesn't really make a lot of sense.
  20. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    Let's see, my house has Windows and Apple laptops; Apple, Blackberry, Windows and Nexus phones; iPad, Kindle Fires and Nexus 7 tablets; and even iPod and Zune music players. All in use. I need a Windows tablet to round it out. I am equally dissatisfied with all of them ;)

When I was younger (much) I had cameras from several manufacturers in different formats - partly because none of them satisfied me as well.

So I am sympathetic with people who change systems as I always have to fight the itch myself and am surprised I am still with m43 (and m43 only) after 3 years.

I enjoy playful banter about competing systems and really hate it when people show real animosity toward other systems and hate it even more when it spills over to the individuals.

Lighten up folks - it really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.