Has your time frame for camera body replacement changed?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by D7k1, Jul 8, 2018.

1. Shorter

4 vote(s)
    6.2%
  2. Same

15 vote(s)
    23.1%
  3. Longer

46 vote(s)
    70.8%
  1. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Nov 18, 2013
    I will be the first to admit that if I had not gotten back into astronomy and spent a few thousand on updating my astro gear I would have strongly considered getting an EM1 II or G9 this year. But that would have been in addition to and not a replacement for my current 2 Gx8 and Gx85 cameras. I've bought a lot of bodies since I got my first digital (a Nikon 775 when they first came out) but I replaced many on each model update. I have no desire to do that now. Kind of like hitting deaccelerating from 100 to zero.

I have one more major astronomy purchase (new mount) to get this year and then next year I will add either the Oly 12-100 or a new body but still keep my current bodies. It reminds me of my film days when I never got a Nikon F because for what I did my 2 Nikkormats and Mamiya Press 23 did all I needed. So here is a very simple poll - has your camera body replacement time frame changed : Shorter Same Longer.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
  2. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    I voted 'Longer' simply because I just bought my E-M1 II. Unless there's a major change in sensor technology, I can't see buying another camera body for several years. I'm keeping my original E-M1 as well so I have 2 bodies with long lenses for shooting wildlife (40-150+TC on one, 300 on the other).

3. ADemuth

ADemuth Mu-43 Regular

Jan 27, 2017
    Koror, Palau
    My E-P5 just crapped out on me last week - a month before my 90 day vacation in Japan and Europe. The positive is that I had a friend pick up a brand new EM5 mk ii in Japan for me for just under $550. The downside is that I really wanted to wait a year or so for the Pen F to drop down in price - now I don't think I'll ever be able to justify a Pen F since the EM5 mk ii has everything I wanted from the Pen F except the sleek form factor and maybe the 20 mp sensor. Personally, I'd be willing to pay 20 mp sensor prices for a 16 mp sensor with better high ISO handling.

Short answer: longer - I only upgrade when gear fails or is near failure.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
  4. Saledolce

Saledolce Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 17, 2017
    Italy
    I picked shorter, too much stuff I'd like to try to think my personal time frame will be longer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Egregius V

Egregius V Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Jun 14, 2015
    Massachusetts, USA
    Rev. Gregory Vozzo
    I'm very happy with my E-M5 II, GX85, and lenses. With the E-M5 III taking longer than expected, I'm going to be waiting longer than I thought I would (2-3 years) before my next purchase. The E-M1 II is tempting, but just not worth the money to me right now. I can be patient knowing Olympus is working on more AF improvements and hand-held hi-res and making IQ improvements slowly and incrementally.

6. ac12

ac12 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 24, 2018
    I'm of the old film school, keep gear as long as I can.
    I had my Nikon D70 for 12 years, before it died on me, forcing me to get a new DSLR.
    I got my Olympus E-M1 only because I wanted a smaller/lighter "tweener" camera to use when I did not want to haul around the DSLR. The E-M1 was not a replacement, but a companion.
    I would need a major reason to replace a camera that is still doing its job.

7. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    I think more and more people are getting comfortable with the idea of "good enough." As in: good enough that it will almost take pictures in the dark, good enough that I can enlarge my photos far beyond what I would ordinary need, etc.

It's kind of like software. Adobe realized that the strategy of offering new features in order to motivate upgrade purchases was running out of steam -- all the really good ideas had been implemented already. Same thing with Microsoft Office. So in both cases the vendors used their huge market shares to force customers into subscriptions, where the vendor's revenue is decoupled from upgrades and good customer service. Fortunately, my cameras don't expire and Panasonic can't suddenly force me to lease them. So I am good with my two GX8s for now. No subsequent models have motivated me. Apparently this is true of most of the poll responders, too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    For me, I have 2 categories. Work and play.

My work year sticks around for a long time. I work them until failure or I have a compelling reason for upgrade (something in my job workflow would benefit from the new body).

WORK
    I recently did that with the Nikon D300/D700, which got updated to the D500/D750. Those I ran for 8-10 years before upgrading. Number of clicks, better IQ and JPG processing as well as better AF for sports.

PLAY
    I switch up at my fancy. I was really looking for the best "just for fun" m43 camera setup and I think I found it now in the PEN-F. That body will stick with me for a long time. I've swapped about the EM1/EM5 bodies whenever I saw something else I might want to have and use those to partially finance it.

So work, I keep them LONG, play would probably be considered SHORT.

9. Aristophanes

Aristophanes Mu-43 Veteran

“Good enough” for internet imaging is the new and increasing norm. Anything above APS-C is simply overkill for all but the most dedicated professional imaging. Trading photos over the internet and talking up larger formats, increased DR, shallow DOF, is all pointless as no online JPEG can demonstrate those differences. I can certainly see the small sensor smartphone differences (same FOV, one pinch blurs, too smooth facial, leaves look like mush, identical sunset colours) compared to larger formats, but the online captures between m43 (and to,some extend, the 1” sensors) and all larger sensors lacks evidentiary distinction. We’d have to print compare to see.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    Same. I tend to update only when my current gear either stops working or is not able to do something I want. But generally I can stick with a specific camera body for a long time. When I finally switched to dSLRs I started with the E-520 and use it until it broke. I then "upgraded" to the E-3. In the meantime micro four-thirds were PENs and the E-M5 none of which were PDAF compatible with my good 4/3rds lenses, so I stuck with the E-3 (even though the E-5 was also now available). Even when the E-M1 came out it was much too far outside my budget and I had to wait a year+ to finally get a deal on a refurb'd one from Oly (refurb price -20% coupon). Unless the used prices of E-M1 mk2s come down considerably or my E-M1 breaks, I won't be moving. And even if my Mk1 breaks, if the Mk2 are still too much then likely I will get another Mk1.

Or in my case, so long as I am no where near exceeding the abilities of the camera with my skills, then it is still more camera than I am able to fully utilize, so plenty of head room to work with.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
  11. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I voted longer. I thought I would want a GX9 when it was announced. It does offer several things I've been looking for in an upgrade, but the GX85 is good enough for at least the foreseeable year or two. Previously I've always seen enough reason to make the upgrade, so I don't know if it's me, or the GX85.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. SimonL

SimonL Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2009
    NW England
    Longer,

There's no such thing as a 'bad' camera any more.

I see no real need to update to the latest, greatest camera body when they're only incrementally better than the one already in my possession.

My cameras are already waaaaaaaay more competent and proficient than I will ever be. Maybe I'm getting old and less fooled by advertising that tries to convince me that my photo's will improve just by buying a whizzy new camera ............ :biggrin:

• Agree Agree x 4
  13. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I really think we have gotten closer to the promise of the m4/3 format, where maybe three or more years ago there were still obvious flaws that were still being worked out.

14. gnarlydog australia

gnarlydog australia Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Feb 23, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Damiano Visocnik
    If the current cameras would actually be more durable there would be little need for me to "update" (read replace). What is the saving grace for most brands is the ability to manufacture a camera that fails prematurely.
    But as long my current cameras don't break I am willing to wait until I see the organic sensor and global shutter come to the market. Current incremental improvements are mainly only perceived and in most cases make no different in acquiring the desired image for most of us.
    But really, the industry needs geeks that have to buy the latest gear or majority of the camera manufacturers will disappear.

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I'm actually a little concerned about how little action the GX9 has gotten on Amazon. There are only a few reviews. However since it's a parts bin upgrade, I doubt Panasonic put much money into r&d on that model.

16. twigboy

twigboy Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2016
    Virginia
    Before I got my E-P5 two years ago I thought about EM-10 or 5, wishing for 1, so that I could once again have a built-in viewfinder. I thought about the VF-4 off and on but just haven't brought myself to committing, as I have the VF-3 but wanted better "optics". Couldn't swing the cost of a more expensive body, and still have a E-PL2 to boot. GAS isn't so strong in me, but as newer OMD models come about the prices of used/refurbed/other EM-10/5(maybe 1) will become more affordable with the features I (may) need. There are already so many things on the E-P5 that I don't use or know about or know how to use...

17. I just "upgraded" from Canon 6D to an EM10ii. I shoot more and, to be honest, better since I've given up the idea that what was holding me back was my camera. There are about 3 things that I've run into in the last few months that my EM10ii won't do. So I'm TOTALLY excited about the EM1iii coming out next year so that I can pick up an EM1ii cheap.

After that I really can't see anything I might need. So think I might be done at that point. (At least from a body perspective. Lenses is an entirely different discussion).

18. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Legend

Mine is the same as it always has been. When they offer something that I feel will improve my experience or output, and they do so at a price I am willing to pay, then I upgrade. I have no way of knowing when that will be, so I don't bother to put a predicted schedule on it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. speedy

speedy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 27, 2015
    I voted longer. I picked up a G9 in January this year, & it would now take a very big jump in technology to interest me. Something along the lines of the new organic sensor with global shutter may do it :)  FPS, Hi Rez, more megapickles etc don't really tempt me. At the minute, i'm pretty damn happy with my lens collection, if I felt rich all of a sudden, I might upgrade one of them, but certainly no urgency about it

20. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Legend

I can't think of a single reason to buy one as long as there are GX85's at half price on the shelves.

• Agree Agree x 3
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.