1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Has Panasonic fixed its sticky zoom ring on the 100-300?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by LowriderS10, Jun 19, 2013.

1. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Hi guys,

So, I'm about to pull the trigger on a Panasonic 100-300...and I'm reading user reviews and a good bunch of them mention a sticky/sub-par and generally not smooth zoom ring...however, I'm noticing that a lot of these reviews were written in 2011/2012...is this still an issue? (I can't test the lens out prior to buying, as I'll be ordering it online).

Thanks!
    T

2. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    I'd assume still the same...I can't deal with the lens because of the zoom creep, and the 45-200 suffers the same issue. Creep,creep,creep. Nice piece of glass for what it is, just horrible build quality. I've had bad luck with lumix zooms(except the 7-14), 45-200&100-300 creep horribly, and the 12-35 I've checked 2 copies and both had really poor quality coatings on the front element.( coating was blotchy and uneven, and prone to flare due to this. Maybe both we're from the same batch but I lost interest in lumix zooms as I can't seem to find a quality one. In fact instead of a 300 zoom, I went with an OM 300 f4.5 prime that does the job and no creep.lol

3. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Dang, thanks...I haven't read too many complaints about creep (maybe you were unlucky?), but come on, manufacturers! How much does it cost to put a zoom lock in?? I've had a few lenses that had it and they're brilliant little additions that cost next to nothing...

4. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I own a 100-300, absolutely zero problems with it. I spent a whole day shooting with it on a monopod at a disc golf tournament - no creep, nothing sticking. I love this lens. Maybe I got a good copy, but I have no complaints with it. :confused:

5. foxtail1

foxtail1 Science geek & photo nut

Dec 30, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Kristi
    I'm with Bob — no issues with this lens with daily use for well over a year.

6. mangomonster

mangomonster Mu-43 Regular

Jun 10, 2012
    12-35

Grinch, tell me more about the 12-35 and bad flaring. I've been complaining to myself about mine for a while now. It just has a nasty flare. Any idea on how to tell if it's the coating or something else?

7. everythingsablur

everythingsablur Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 4, 2010
    Toronto, ON
    I recently picked up a 100-300 as well and haven't noticed any lens creep with it. Lens works pretty well actually, though I haven't had a ton of really good opportunities to use the reach.

8. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Thanks so much for the input, guys, please keep them coming!!! :)

I'm selling my Canon mount Tamron 70-300 VC USD and replacing it with the Pan 100-300 for the OM-D (might as well put the long lens on the crop body, not the full frame! :D )...I'm a little hesitant because the Tamron's a great piece of glass, but the Pan seems to hold its own as well...

9. STR

STR Mu-43 Veteran

May 16, 2013
    My 100-300 was bought 3-4 months ago. No creep and I wouldn't say the zoom was stiff. It's not as smooth as the 12-35 (which is almost as silky-smooth as the zoom-by-wire 45-175), but it's a bigger, cheaper lens so I don't expect it to be.

It's a wide lens with a fairly bulging front element. Of course it flares. My guess is that you have an Olympus. Whatever coatings they put on their sensors seems to cause internal reflections.

10. mangomonster

mangomonster Mu-43 Regular

Jun 10, 2012
    No, I'm shooting with a GH2 or GH3. I know it should flare, but the flares are fugly. My 20mm 1.7 pancake has beautiful flares.

11. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    Actually I do, but the issue was noticed with my GX1, so please explain why on the lumix...I still believe it was the shoddy coating as did the salesperson(who first noticed it and pointed it out to me).

12. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    Caimi caimiphotography.com
    My P100-300 is sticky but not to the point it is a problem. Still, I wish it was smoother. No creep though. On the other hand, my P45-200 has lens creep but is not sticky.