Has Panasonic Discontinued the FZ1000?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by bigbob, Jul 16, 2016.

1. bigbob

bigbob Mu-43 Regular

Nov 14, 2012
    MA
    Robert Morin
    On Panasonic site the FZ1000 not available. What's up. Bob

2. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Maybe time for an update, in response to the Sony RX10 mk III?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Maybe. The rumor site was reporting a Panasonic announcement here this month. Maybe that is it.

It would be great to get the latest sensor, longer zoom, better EVF, and weather sealing.

4. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    everything gets discontinued eventually ... so why not this one too?

5. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Probably with Sony now on their 3rd version even if there wasn't much time between the mkII - mkIII. But there was a 3 year gap between the FX200 - FZ300 and we're only at year 2 of the FZ1000.

6. sethrus

sethrus Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 19, 2016
    Time for some updates on that.
    But, what's the obsession with more and more zoom? Because of Nikon's failed-beforehand DL stuff?
    More zoom means slower lens.

Sent from my STH100-1 using Tapatalk

7. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Panasonic FZ1000 - 25-400mm f/2.8-4.0
    Sony RX10M3 - 24-600mm f/2.4-4.0

So not only is the Sony wider and faster on wide end, but it has 200mm more reach, yet still only an f/4 aperture.

So you statement of "more zoom means slower lens" definitely doesn't hold water.

8. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    To be fair, the FZ1000 is just as fast, or faster than the RX10 III for 95% of its range. The FZ1000 is only slower below 30mm, as the RX10 III's lens aperture shrinks very rapidly.

RX10III_Equiv.

Honestly, I would be happy if the only changes they made to an FZ1100 was to add weather-sealing and a touchscreen as they did on the FZ300, and keep the price at the same reasonable level.

I don't think they need to update the sensor (Sony is unlikely to sell the latest stacked BSI sensor outside the company) or even the lens. I don't want to spend an extra $700 just to get 200mm more on the long end, especially since the RX10 III weighs 30% more to go with the extra zoom range.

9. astrostl

astrostl Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 4, 2014
    St. Louis, MO
    Justin Honold
    Is "FAST" an appropriate term for a subject which impacts DoF, and not brightness?

10. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Kind of hard to say failed when it hasn't actually shipped.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    I'm not denying that, but the statement made was that larger lenses equate to slower apertures, and that statement is flat-out wrong. The Sony RX10M3 has a 25x zoom compared to the 16x zoom on the FZ1000, yet manages to be just as fast, if not faster, across nearly the entire zoom range.

Right, don't we always want more for less? If only everything worked out that way. Fortunately for me, I have no real interest in this camera because the 50-200 SWD paired with the 12-60 SWD and by dual E-M1 set up give me what I need in terms of IQ and DoF. Plus, those already have touch screens, weather sealing, etc.

Whether or not Sony will sell them the sensor is a different question on its own, but I think not upgrading the sensor could be a mistake. The RX10M2/M3 feature fantastic video capabilities, along with the distortion-free electronic shutter, which is made possible by the stacked design.

Having said that, it all comes down to price. The RX10M3 has positioned itself at the high end of the market. As it stand today, there is a void between the RX10M2 and the RX10M3, and a new FZ1000 may be able to fill that gap in terms of price, as well as performance. I guess time will tell what Panasonic plans to do.

12. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

If you want to keep it the same size and weight, it surely is true. RX10 III is a third heavier than the FZ1000 and a little heavier than an E-M1 with a 100-300 attached: Compact Camera Meter

13. sethrus

sethrus Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 19, 2016
    Hasn't shipped because the new, improved processor wasn't!
    Can you imagine having all that product on the shelf all of that time, then go back through and reset all of them?
    Do YOU want to be a beta tester for them? For $1000!!

14. sethrus

sethrus Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 19, 2016
    You are correct. I should qualify that.
    It will take a larger, bulkier, heavier lens to maintain the same f/ stop.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Turbofrog

Mar 21, 2014
    They did it with the FZ300, which shares the same lens and sensor as its predecessor. I don't think it's that unreasonable given the market conditions, and the fact that they have already amortized the rest of the development of the lens and the body.

Features consistently trickle down and prices for any given thing consistently drop. That's just the way it works.

Those changes would also position it as still a very competitive body. For half the price of the RX10 III but with a better user interface and better AF, it's still got advantages if it can make up some of the shortcomings like weather sealing. And remember that the original RX10 was nominally weathersealed, and sells for the same price as the FZ1000 and didn't come out long before it.

16. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Nobody ever said anything about size or weight, so I'm certain why the conversation is all of a sudden pivoting to that. What was originally said was that that reach comes at a cost of speed, and that's not true. I provided an example that documented that.

I'm well aware of the size and weight of the RX10M3, but the bottom line is that there's nothing on the market like it. The FZ1000 is 200mm shorter than the RX10M3 in terms of reach, and the E-M1/100-300 is missing the 24-200 component, in addition to being a stop slower on the tele-end. If you want a 26x zoom lens with good optical performance on a decent size sensor that only loses a stop of light (for simplicity's sake), it's going to be large and heavy. People need to remember that his equates to a 12-300mm weather sealed lens on a m43 camera. It's pretty damn impressive from a technology standpoint, given how it performs optically and that it's paired with Sony's marvelous 1" sensor. But given that Sony is first to market with it, that technology comes at a price, and a pretty steep one at that.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Turbofrog

Mar 21, 2014
    I don't think anyone is denying how impressive the tech on the RX10 III is.

I think we're all skeptical that the RX10 III is the direction that we want the FZ1000 to be moving. 100% more expensive and 30% heavier. It's easy to argue that the current FZ1000 is realistically already in a sweet spot between the original RX10 and the RX10 III. You need to be a deeply pragmatic professional or a fairly wealthy amateur to be interested in a big $1500 1" sensor cam.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    I said it before that I think there is a space in the market for the FZ1000 given its reach, lens speed, and sensor size. The RX10M2 has a lens that only goes out to 200mm, which isn't very useful for sports and/or wildlife. The FZ1000 goes out to 400mm, which I find is usable for sports and/or wildlife, which when paired with DFD focusing makes it a better option than the Sony cameras in terms of AF speed and accuracy (until Sony develops a 1" sensor with PDAF for C-AF tracking). Then there's the RX10M3, which goes out to 600mm and is just as fast as the FZ1000, but it's larger, heavier, and more expensive.

There's a market for each of those cameras. I'm not saying that the FZ1000 needs to do what the RX10M3 does, but I do feel that simply reusing the 1" sensor would be a step in the wrong direction, given the amount of momentum that the 1" sensor market has right now (unlike the 1/2.3" sensor in the FZ300). I think an updated sensor/processor, coupled with weather sealing and a nicer EVF would make for a great update, provided they keep it around the same price as the original.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. sethrus

sethrus Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 19, 2016
    Well said.

20. PanamaMan

PanamaMan Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 4, 2013
    If so, I would buy it in a heartbeat. My FZ1000 is still my general-purpose goto camera because it does most things so well.
    Oh, and fully stabilised 4K a la GX80 wouldn't come amiss either... :)