1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Has Panasonic caught up with Olympus in JPEG output?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Steven, Nov 24, 2015.

1. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    Considering a new body and it's currently either GX8 or EM1/5II. I wonder if I should still consider Olympus Jpegs as a factor ? They have always been considered better but I really like the Jpegs from GX7 , much better than previous Pana bodies IMHO , though admittedly I 've only owned Pana bodies before . Has Panasonic improved to a point where they are just as good ?
    Would love to hear some thoughts from people who have both brands cams :)

2. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    If you like them what difference does it make.

Is there something you see in the jpegs you're getting that you would like to change. Something that the in camera settings won't get you?

I would choose based on the usability of the body, not for the jpegs.

Fred

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Yes, I'd call this such a hugely subjective topic that the only answer that matters is your own views on it.

Obviously, it's hard to find exact apples-to-apples comparisons that show the OOC JPEGs shot with the same lenses and lighting conditions, so it makes it difficult to tell which one you'll actually like better.

That said, I really don't enjoy any OOC JPEGs. I turned off the ones on my GX7, so I'm only shooting RAW these days, but from what I recall they were a bit better than the ones out of the GX1, which are a bit gnarly if I recall. Panasonic RAWs are just so nice and natural looking, though...

• Like Like x 1
  4. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I like the jpeg output from my GM5 just fine, so I don't foresee a problem. If I remember correctly, the 'standard' setting looks better than some of the others, including 'natural.'

• Like Like x 1
  5. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    You know, I've learned that everything is relative and sometimes you don't know a better option exists . I was perfectly happy with a Gx1 a few years ago then got a Fuji and used them both. Fujis photos of the same scenes and places were just undeniably better. Very likeable and no tinkering needed usually. I would say Gx7 is closer to the Fuji level of goodness. If the much praised Olympus is even better then, yeah, that's something I will consider

6. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    I think you need to see the differences for yourself Steven. Having said that, I prefer Olympus, but I find the differences now to be much less than they were a few years back (pre-GX7 maybe).

• Like Like x 1
  7. gary0319

gary0319 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 26, 2014
    Sarasota FL
    I agree, really subjective.
    I had the GX7 and Olympus E-M10, E-M10 II and E-M5 II at the same time. I always preferred the Panasonic Raw files to the Olympus Raws, when imported into Lightroom. However, I much preferred the Olympus JPG's. I sold the GX7 and went solely with Olympus, and now shoot only the Super Fine JPG's, since I get better results with the Oly JPG's than I can get with my Raw post processing skills,

• Like Like x 2
  8. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    Steven,

I would find some other Olympus shooters in your neck of the woods and do a "click and drink" or photo walk. Share lenses, exchange camera bodies and take some shots for yourself. You may find out that the Olympus body style, menus or EVF just do not do it for you.

I personally have found that Panasonic EVF layout is not for me and I didn't like the way it felt in my hand as much as the Olympus cameras did. That was bigger factor to me that the image sensor. Heck if IQ was the end all be all, I'd probably still have my Fuji X-E1. I'd much rather shoot with a camera that feel better to me. Just some things to think about.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Panasonic jpegs are fine and easily mendable. Though I prefer how Olympus handles high ISO NR. The images to my eye appear to retain more detail at the higher ISO settings when shooting jpeg.

Added: I just want to note this my experience with the GX7, I'm not sure if Panasonic has improved their high ISO jpeg NR processing since then. Though Olympus has some of the best image processing of any camera brand regardless of sensor size!

Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. yendikeno

yendikeno Mu-43 Regular

Sep 5, 2015
    Agree about this being very subjective. As an owner of both the GX7 and an E-M1, I like the Oly jpegs more.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1