1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Has no-one else spotted this - JVC have joined m43!

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Andym72, Apr 7, 2014.

1. Andym72

Andym72 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 4, 2013
    Reading, UK
  2. Pecos

Pecos Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 20, 2013
    The Natural State
    Interesting. I wonder if it will be video or still photo equipment, or both.

3. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    It could even be AUDIO stuff, recorders, mikes, etc.

4. tlovegrove

tlovegrove Mu-43 Regular

Mar 3, 2014
    Southern California
    Tim
  5. jziegler

jziegler Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2012
    Salem County, New Jersey
    James
  6. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I saw the announcement but I am not sure what to make it of it. Some of the newer links help. With BlackMagic announcing a studio camera, I see the JVC announcement as bringing more firepower to m4/3 serious video.

7. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    "creates excitement & peace of mind"

Quite an achievement !

8. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
  9. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    The Sigma and (most) Rokinon lenses will cover -- they're designed for APS-C which is basically the same as Super 35. Not sure about the others -- there could be distortion or vignetting on the sides. Maybe it will be a multi-aspect sensor.

10. tosvus

tosvus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 4, 2014
    The two first links appear to be cameras, while the third one is the Gimbal that can be used with the second camera. The whole gimbal concept is very intriguing. Will make for very nice fluid motion whether handheld or attached to moving vehicles etc.

11. Fri13

Fri13 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 30, 2014
    The camera looks to be capable for m4/3 lenses as is because there is Olympus 45mm f/1.8 mounted on it. And AFAIK the m4/3 standard like the 4/3 doesn't specify sensor size but the circle size and if Super 35mm fits to it, then there is no problem as every m4/3 lens needs to cover same circle area.

• Like Like x 1
  12. tosvus

tosvus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 4, 2014
    I'm no expert, but it might even be possible to play with flange distance since there is no mirror to worry about.

13. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

from - http://www.dpreview.com/news/2014/0...ource=news-list&utm_medium=text&ref=title_0_1

So it can go up to super 35mm but can also shoot in a cropped mode. 21x11mm/19x11mm should be good for m4/3 lenses. For full super 35mm you would have to adapt a lens which is easily possible with the m4/3 mount and probably the reason they chose it.

14. Andym72

Andym72 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 4, 2013
    Reading, UK
    One thought. The image circle diameter has to be a little bigger than the 4/3 sensor diagonal of 21.6mm, so that IBIS can work. The sensor needs to be able to move "off centre" for IBIS, so the image circle would need to be as large as the bounds of that movement to avoid vignetting more in one corner than another. If these JVC video cameras don't use IBIS, then they could use that "leeway" to fit a slightly larger diagonal sensor behind the lens.

15. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    No, the flange distance has to be precise or lenses designed to the u43 standard won't focus properly at infinity.

Or put another way, you could change the flange distance but it would no longer meet the standard and current u43 lenses wouldn't work right.

Fred

16. tosvus

tosvus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 4, 2014
    Thanks for correcting me - as I warned, not an expert ;)

17. Fri13

Fri13 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 30, 2014
    That is how i see it, as IBIS already requires extra space, it is possible. Just like Panasonic had wider sensor in its cameras for multiple ratios.

Haven't had time to test but if someone would first meter the distance from sensor surface to bajonet surface and then position lens front of the lamp and place flat surface as focused correct distance and meter the circle diameter, it would tell how large diameter we actually can get. Of course if there is already known diameter, it is easy

I can't even believe JVC would use m4/3 if user can't use all m4/3 lenses. Or olympus/Panasonic to allow them to use and market the standard unless it is compatible.

18. SteveNunez

SteveNunez Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 11, 2010
    South Florida
    Steve Nunez
    Prediction, it will be priced well but will be a poor performer- blown highlights and reduced dynamic range........every JVC product I've had has been on the low side in performance.........I'm not expecting any greatness with this camera- but who knows!