Has Fuji closed the AF gap ? Looks like it has :)

Bhupinder2002

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Hi Guys:smile:
Like many other fellow forum members and other Fuji enthusiastics , I have been watching Fuji very closely . Fuji cameras speak of quality products and as we all know , they were quite behind in AF area and that annoyed and turned off many early adopters. But some firmware updates did speed up AF on pre existing Fuji models and the X100 which I had was quite Okay . Its AF speed was compared to Panny 20 mm on my old EPL2 and it was a fun camera to use . Now new X00s seems very promising and from what I have seen and heard is that FUji has almost closed the gap between MFT and its newer X100s as far as AF is concerned . It seems that Fuji will catch up soon and offer an alternative to MFT format . They have some good lenses already and lens roadmap looks promising . It will be more and more fun .Iam very happy that people have more choices that just plain and boring Nikons and Canons . Lets hope Fuji introduces next generation XE2 and XPRO2 with similar AF speed. Please feel free to share ur opinion .
Cheers :smile:
Bhupinder

Ray Sachs

Super Moderator
Agreed, the X100s looks really good and if it lives up to what we're seeing now, it will solve any problems the original X100 had, which a lot of us didn't think were that bad to begin with. As to the X-Pro and X-E1, it will be really interesting to see. I don't doubt they can put the same technology into the bodies with both PDAF and CDAF focussing. But like with the 20mm Panasonic lens still being a slow lens to AF on even the fastest new m43 bodies, I have questions about how well the three original Fuji X lenses will react to updated AF in the new bodies that are sure to come along. All three of the initial lenses use external focusing motors and none of them are fast. The 18mm is pretty fast, the 35mm is OK but can REALLY hunt in low light, and the 60mm is very slow, as you'd expect from a macro lens. Only time will tell whether the 18 and 35 will see significant speed increases with new bodies or, like the 20mm, will be the weakest link in the AF chain - fine lenses but relatively slow to focus...

-Ray

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ross

jloden

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Jay
If the X100s and next generation of Fujis speeds up the AF, I won't have much of anything not to like as an end user. The AF is already just fast enough to be usable for me for anything other than moving subjects on the X-E1, so an X-E2 or whatever with faster AF would be seriously cool.

There is a limited lens selection to be sure, but Fuji is doing it right in my opinion: excellent quality lenses, primes first, and covering the major bases of focal lengths with some decently fast glass. Even the X-E1 kit lens is a high quality f/2.8-4 zoom rather than a typical slow kit zoom. Providing the roadmap is also brilliant on their part. It lets users know exactly what to expect and when rather than leaving them hanging indefinitely waiting for lenses that may or may not come. For example, I knew I wanted the 35mm f/1.4 and kit zoom, but going forward I am interested in the 56mm f/1.4 portrait lens and 23mm f/1.4 for 35mm equivalent. Knowing those are coming made it easier to decide to go in on an X series camera body.

I applaud Fuji for having done many things right with the X series, and I too am very happy to see more great choices in the market.

jloden

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Jay
Agreed, the X100s looks really good and if it lives up to what we're seeing now, it will solve any problems the original X100 had, which a lot of us didn't think were that bad to begin with. As to the X-Pro and X-E1, it will be really interesting to see. I don't doubt they can put the same technology into the bodies with both PDAF and CDAF focussing. But like with the 20mm Panasonic lens still being a slow lens to AF on even the fastest new m43 bodies, I have questions about how well the three original Fuji X lenses will react to updated AF in the new bodies that are sure to come along. All three of the initial lenses use external focusing motors and none of them are fast. The 18mm is pretty fast, the 35mm is OK but can REALLY hunt in low light, and the 60mm is very slow, as you'd expect from a macro lens. Only time will tell whether the 18 and 35 will see significant speed increases with new bodies or, like the 20mm, will be the weakest link in the AF chain - fine lenses but relatively slow to focus...

Ray - that's a great point. The 35mm f/1.4 is definitely slower than the 18-55 zoom when it comes to focusing on the X-E1, so I would have to question how much faster an improved PDAF/CDAF system would be for the older generation of lenses anyway. Time will tell I guess!

Latest threads

Top Bottom