Has Everyone Gone Nuts?

Brownie

Thread Killer Extraordinaire
Real Name
Tim
Most people had never heard of Olympus or Panasonic cameras, except maybe for point and shoots.
Huh? You must be one of them-there youngsters. Oly started producing cameras in 1936. During the 35mm boom they were right there with the others, including Minolta, Pentax, and the Canikons, and were desirable. I'll give you Panasonic, but not Oly.

Biro

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Steve
For me, it comes down to "How many of us are printing large enough to take advantage of the higher image quality that full frame offers?"

If most if us are viewing and sharing our images on line - or printing up to, say, 8x10 - there's really no reason for pay for and carry around full-frame gear.

On the other hand, there's no reason for us to be buying micro four-thirds gear that's as big and heavy as full frame, either. And that's where Olympus and perhaps Panasonic have gotten into trouble. The two companies should also have gotten together - perhaps with Fuji - to advance the state of micro four-thirds sensors.

But Olympus and Panasonic have made their mistakes and the flight to full frame is well underway. It's that flight, which has reached critical mass, that seems to be influencing current micro four-thirds shooters.

amit

Mu-43 Veteran
For me, it comes down to "How many of us are printing large enough to take advantage of the higher image quality that full frame offers?"

If most if us are viewing and sharing our images on line - or printing up to, say, 8x10 - there's really no reason for pay for and carry around full-frame gear.

On the other hand, there's no reason for us to be buying micro four-thirds gear that's as big and heavy as full frame, either. And that's where Olympus and perhaps Panasonic have gotten into trouble. The two companies should also have gotten together - perhaps with Fuji - to advance the state of micro four-thirds sensors.

But Olympus and Panasonic have made their mistakes and the flight to full frame is well underway. It's that flight, which has reached critical mass, that seems to be influencing current micro four-thirds shooters.
Wrong thread Lol ?
This one is about underwater phone photography

Bytesmiths

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Jan Steinman
Something nobody's brought up yet: the photography experience. You don't get that with a phone.

Maybe I'm just old, but when I'm using a real camera, I think differently, and I look at things differently.

That doesn't mean it has to be a big, hulking Fool Frame camera. But it has to have a viewfinder, and you have to haul that sucker up to your face to take a picture, in most cases. It has to have a certain number of knobs and buttons — don't ask me how many; it's a feeling. And in my case, at least, you have to be able to manually focus and manually control the aperture and shutter speed.

I don't even know if you can control focus, aperture, and shutter speed on a smart phone. I've never spent much time on one, and when I have, it's owner just said, "pinch to zoom, and press this button to take a picture." Well, that isn't photography, to my mind!

golftango

Mu-43 Regular
Looking at my images taken with micro 4/3 cameras, I have never said to myself, "I wish I had used a full frame camera for this." I'm not a pro, but I appreciate good images, and Olympus gear has delivered.

Lukeylight

Mu-43 Regular
I think the problems for m4/3 started with the fact that neither Canon nor Nikon, by far the most recognizable camera brands at the time, supported the format. Most people had never heard of Olympus or Panasonic cameras, except maybe for point and shoots. Without the CaNikon visibility, m4/3 remaining a niche market was almost inevitable (my opinion; yours may be different). When I heard about Oly's imaging products sale to JIP, I looked at other systems to see if I could find a viable path for my needs/wants. Realistically, I found nothing that would work. Canon's m-system and Nikon's Z50 may be close, but their lens selections are woeful. And I can't stand using my phone for photos because the ergonomics are pathetic. Besides, I like all of the lens variety in ILC's. FF has never been a consideration beacuse of size/weight, even with the new mirrorless cameras. Therefore, I'll continue using m4/3, which will probably last longer than I will. I'll probably pick up a few backup bodies and lenses on the used market, just in case any of my current gear fails. The E-M1 iii is also tempting if the price drops to around $999.
Touche!

Bytesmiths

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Jan Steinman
Looking at my images taken with micro 4/3 cameras, I have never said to myself, "I wish I had used a full frame camera for this." I'm not a pro, but I appreciate good images, and Olympus gear has delivered.
Back in the "real camera" days, I told my students that I have never said, "Gee, I wish I had shot that on cheaper film!"

I ended up shooting just about everything on Kodachrome or Velvia, after having said the opposite ("Gee, I wish I had shot that on better film!") numerous times.

Last edited:

Suburbian

Mu-43 Regular
I'm still waiting on Disco to make that comeback, I invested everything in a Mavica, and you know I drove my Yugo to the Fotomat booth but the Mat was dry...

Id rather be mad then mad

threeOh

Mu-43 Veteran
Wake me up when this is over. Should be some good used equipment buys at some point.

fredlong

Just this guy...
Real Name
Fred
The insanity started before the first micro four thirds camera was even conceived. In 2003 the first four thirds body, the Olympus E-1 came to market. Designed from the ground up for digital. The first magazine review I read praised the images that came from the E-1. The reviewer thought they were fantastic. He also thought that the E-1 couldn't be taken seriously as professional camera because it was only 5 MP. After all, the Nikon and Canon cameras had 6 MP and could shoot at higher ISOs without noise. Those higher ISO images had so much noise reduction that they looked plastic but they hade 6 MP so...

PakkyT

Mu-43 Legend
In 2003 the first four thirds body, the Olympus E-1 came to market. Designed from the ground up for digital. The first magazine review I read praised the images that came from the E-1.
And to this day it still takes fantastic images! But I am thinking of offering mine up in the Free to good home / karma / pay it forward forum as I sadly don't use it much anymore. But everytime I run across photos I took with that camera in my flickr account they still impress me.

Latest threads

Top Bottom