Has Everyone Gone Nuts?

Brownie

Thread Killer Extraordinaire
Real Name
Tim
Most people had never heard of Olympus or Panasonic cameras, except maybe for point and shoots.
Huh? You must be one of them-there youngsters. Oly started producing cameras in 1936. During the 35mm boom they were right there with the others, including Minolta, Pentax, and the Canikons, and were desirable. I'll give you Panasonic, but not Oly.

Biro

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Steve
For me, it comes down to "How many of us are printing large enough to take advantage of the higher image quality that full frame offers?"

If most if us are viewing and sharing our images on line - or printing up to, say, 8x10 - there's really no reason for pay for and carry around full-frame gear.

On the other hand, there's no reason for us to be buying micro four-thirds gear that's as big and heavy as full frame, either. And that's where Olympus and perhaps Panasonic have gotten into trouble. The two companies should also have gotten together - perhaps with Fuji - to advance the state of micro four-thirds sensors.

But Olympus and Panasonic have made their mistakes and the flight to full frame is well underway. It's that flight, which has reached critical mass, that seems to be influencing current micro four-thirds shooters.

amit

Mu-43 Veteran
For me, it comes down to "How many of us are printing large enough to take advantage of the higher image quality that full frame offers?"

If most if us are viewing and sharing our images on line - or printing up to, say, 8x10 - there's really no reason for pay for and carry around full-frame gear.

On the other hand, there's no reason for us to be buying micro four-thirds gear that's as big and heavy as full frame, either. And that's where Olympus and perhaps Panasonic have gotten into trouble. The two companies should also have gotten together - perhaps with Fuji - to advance the state of micro four-thirds sensors.

But Olympus and Panasonic have made their mistakes and the flight to full frame is well underway. It's that flight, which has reached critical mass, that seems to be influencing current micro four-thirds shooters.
Wrong thread Lol 😁
This one is about underwater phone photography

Salt Spring Island, British Columbia, Canada
Real Name
Jan Steinman
Something nobody's brought up yet: the photography experience. You don't get that with a phone.

Maybe I'm just old, but when I'm using a real camera, I think differently, and I look at things differently.

That doesn't mean it has to be a big, hulking Fool Frame camera. But it has to have a viewfinder, and you have to haul that sucker up to your face to take a picture, in most cases. It has to have a certain number of knobs and buttons — don't ask me how many; it's a feeling. And in my case, at least, you have to be able to manually focus and manually control the aperture and shutter speed.

I don't even know if you can control focus, aperture, and shutter speed on a smart phone. I've never spent much time on one, and when I have, it's owner just said, "pinch to zoom, and press this button to take a picture." Well, that isn't photography, to my mind!

golftango

Mu-43 Regular
Looking at my images taken with micro 4/3 cameras, I have never said to myself, "I wish I had used a full frame camera for this." I'm not a pro, but I appreciate good images, and Olympus gear has delivered.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom