Has everyone gone mad?

All true , and also , em5iii ibis is way better ,olympus colors are better , lenses are cheaper ,telephoto and macro options are wider, pro capture ,HR , WR,stacking ,bracketing and many more .
But some users will trade all these goods for big sensor in a small body.
That is why I think Sony made a very smart move.
Sorry, but your reasoning doesn't make any kind of sense.

amit

Mu-43 Regular
Sorry, but your reasoning doesn't make any kind of sense.
Why ? If you want a camera for family&travel , is it unreasonable to choose the better iq over more features?
My point is , yes it is apples vs oranges , but the user crowd are apple eaters and orange eaters, some preffer one over the other,some will like both.

amit

Mu-43 Regular
@amit It wasn't their choice I was questioning, it was your somewhat strange reasoning.

Just the points you have made makes their choice of gear based on (largely) indistinguishable IQ ridiculous.

What gear do you own?

What is your preferred output medium?

What do you take photographs of, and for what purpose?
I have em10ii with the great 12-40 , thats the best camera and the largest sensor I ever had.
I use it for family landscape and travel.
Output? You mean how I view the photos? Pc ,phone and small prints, and really like to zoom in 100% . Non pro ,no paid work ,just a hobby.

Im going to upgrade to get better C-AF and better results around iso1600 , and Im comparing these models , em5iii and a7c .
I also check other stuff in this price range -em1ii,iii and the fuji's . I havent decided yet.
I think many hobby photographers who use almost exclusivly the 24-90mm range are comparing these models for these porpuses .

Last edited:
I have em10ii with the great 12-40 , thats the best camera and the largest sensor I ever had.
Output? You mean how I view the photos? Pc ,phone and small prints, and really like to zoom in 100% . Non pro ,no paid work ,just a hobby.

Im going to upgrade to get better C-AF and better results around iso1600 , and Im comparing these models , em5iii and a7c .
I also check other stuff in this price range -em1ii,iii and the fuji's .
I think many hobby photographers who use almost exclusivly the 24-90mm range are comparing these models for these porpuses .
Good oh.

I doubt very much that you would see any noticeable improvement in IQ from the larger sensor with lesser quality lens/es.

I've seen and edited a lot of larger (APSC, FF) images, and cannot see any improvement, even using the best lenses around (holy trinity of Nikon f/2.8, mainly).

I print up to A2 size (17x22") on a 16 bit printer that will print most of the visible part of the PPRGB gamut. My monitors are all 100% aRGB. Two have a 12 bit LUT and 10 bit panel. My main one has 14 bit LUT and 12 bit panel.

Check out the double blind print comparisons that are around.

The grass always looks greener. IME of about 60+ years taking photos on this planet, it rarely is.

amit

Mu-43 Regular
Good oh.

I doubt very much that you would see any noticeable improvement in IQ from the larger sensor with lesser quality lens/es.

I've seen and edited a lot of larger (APSC, FF) images, and cannot see any improvement, even using the best lenses around (holy trinity of Nikon f/2.8, mainly).

I print up to A2 size (17x22") on a 16 bit printer that will print most of the visible part of the PPRGB gamut. My monitors are all 100% aRGB. Two have a 12 bit LUT and 10 bit panel. My main one has 14 bit LUT and 12 bit panel.

Check out the double blind print comparisons that are around.

The grass always looks greener. IME of about 60+ years taking photos on this planet, it rarely is.
I will put it to the test , and if you are right, amazon wil face a quick return :)
Where can I see those double blind prints?

I will put it to the test , and if you are right, amazon wil face a quick return :)
Where can I see those double blind prints?
All the best.

I will look for the URLs in the morning. Too hard on a bloody tablet, and I'm too tired now. I take a pretty fair handful og medications every night - not my best time! ;) :rofl: .

Please remind me if I forget.

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
It's all about the money they want to get out of your pocket. If you don't have to provide billboards, M4/3 is more than enough, for most purposes.

500PX collection that I made from photos taken with Olympus cameras, look and shiver :) : https://500px.com/p/henrys2/galleries/olympus
It's common courtesy to post a 'not suitable for work' warning when there are nudes.

MadMarco

Mu-43 Veteran

I also check other stuff in this price range -em1ii,iii and the fuji's . I havent decided yet.
I had that exact same combo of EM10-II and 12-40 and upgraded to the EM1-II in October 2018. I've never regretted the move, AF and battery life are much better, IQ is a bit better and the camera is overall a lot snappier. If the EM1-III had improved the EVF then I would have considered upgrading, but I think the improvements are too small to justify. FYI I got my EM1-II body second hand from MBP for about £850

Real Name
Mike Peters
It's all about the money they want to get out of your pocket. If you don't have to provide billboards, M4/3 is more than enough, for most purposes.
Actually, billboards are very much possible with m4/3...
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
Actually, billboards are very much possible with m4/3...View attachment 852813
Every time you post your work it brings me back to reality. I have a thread started in other systems thinking about a FF. Not because I need one, but because I am antsy. It sounds like fun. I think I'll focus (seewhatIdidthere?) more on upgrading some lenses. Thanks.

Real Name
Mike Peters
Every time you post your work it brings me back to reality. I have a thread started in other systems thinking about a FF. Not because I need one, but because I am antsy. It sounds like fun. I think I'll focus (seewhatIdidthere?) more on upgrading some lenses. Thanks.
Thanks!

I've found that my gear is never the limiting factor in the quality or creativity of my work. I have switched systems so many times over the past 40 years that's it's almost embarrassing to think about. Better cameras and lenses were fun, but they never ever made where I stood, what I focussed on, or when I pushed the shutter button any better. Maybe they looked a bit nicer, but going back through my archives, the camera or lens never made as much of a difference as the advertising copy promised they would.

There's an interesting thread today at The Online Photographer today where Mike Johnston talks about digital versus film, and he quotes David Vestal "In 1984, according to to a study published in a magazine devoted to electronic imaging, high-resolution 35mm color-slide film could hold information equivalent to 18 or 20 million pixels (digital units of electronic visual recording). Average this and you get 19,000,000 pixelishes per 35mm slide."

So, I've got 20 mp in my little Lumix. That's all I needed for the first 25 years of my career, and it's all I need right now, in reality. For what I do, it's more than enough.

However, if I was a landscape shooter who printed giant art prints, I'd just get the GFX100 and be done with it. In my mind, FF has become the irrelevant format. Too damn big, heavy and expensive to be fun anymore, and not enough real estate on the sensor. The faux MF sensors in the Fuji, Hasselblad and Leica S cameras are the winners in the IQ category.

If I really need more than what I have, then that's where I'll go. But I don't. So, I won't. Can't afford it anyway, and my clients don't need it either.

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike Wingate
Asking for a member of my U3A photo group. A recommendation for a camera body, £1000 and lenses to take photos of trains, both static and moving. Upgrading from a Lumix TZ80. he is aged in his late ‘70,s, frail, shaky but a nice bloke. I suggested a GX9 For size and weight.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom