Has anyone used the 4.8mm F1.8 Cosmicar TV Lens?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by colbycheese, Jun 2, 2015.

1. colbycheese

colbycheese Mu-43 Veteran

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    someone is selling one locally and at an excellent price. Would this lens adapt and be usable on micro four thirds? I have a feeling there will be vignetting but my bigger question is, will it focus to infinity? Let me know what you guys think

2. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    There are very few C-mount lenses under 25mm that are usable without significant vignetting. There are a couple of 12.5mm lenses that can almost cover M4/3 (end up being about 14mm).

A 4.8mm C-mount lens will likely end up being a tiny bright circle in a big black frame. Even without having ever heard of it, I wouldn't recommend it, personally...

EDIT: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3122429#forum-post-40233222

Seems like it's usable with a 2x crop, so you end up with a 10mm lens. Quality seems okay, but not special, especially closer to the edges.

That said, if it cost $50, might be worth it as a fun lens?

Last edited: Jun 2, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. colbycheese

colbycheese Mu-43 Veteran

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    Yes thats exactly what my logic was. However i just read up that the lens has no focus right which is a pain. I might just pick up a 12.5mm c mount instead. However the 12.5mm are more expensive so i might just pick up a 25mm instead. EDIT: Would a 25mm cosmicar be worth it? or is it just better to get one of the fujian ones? Is there a difference in image quality. Also does the 1.4 version need to be modified to infinity focus?

Last edited: Jun 2, 2015