1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Has anyone used an adapter with Sony or Minolta AF lenses?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Jorg.S, Jul 3, 2012.

1. Jorg.S

Jorg.S Mu-43 Regular

I have a very nice collection of Minolta / Sony auto focus lenses including some Zeiss and G class lenses.
    I have been wondering what they would be like on my Epl1 and how good they'd be.
    I have seen some converters on the cheap and think I understand that the apreture control will be mostly guess work but have not found anyone that has actually tried using one that way.

So Im wondering if there is someone here that has tried one and could share his or her experience with me.

I would love to use my Sony 70-300 G lens as it is very sharp on my Sony a850 as is my Zeiss 135 and 85mm.

Tia for any help.

2. Alain

Alain Mu-43 Regular

Jun 21, 2012
    Hi,
    A friend of mine have a 50mm Minolta that he is using with a e-510, he likes it. no problem with it.
    If you set your camera on A and set up the aperture you will see your shutter speed changing accordingly. So there is no guess work.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Joe777

Joe777 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 11, 2012
    Oregon
    [​IMG]

This was shot today with OM-D and Minolta mount Vivitar 28mm 2.8 Lens MF and M43 Adapter. Inside a motorhome, hand held, no flash.

• Like Like x 1
  4. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    If your lenses have a manual aperture control ring, then they can be used with any adapter you can find, which will range in price from US$20 to US$300, depending on how much quality and precision you choose to pay for.

If your lenses have only electronically controlled aperture, then my understanding is that you'll only be able to shoot with those lenses wide open.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Jorg.S

Jorg.S Mu-43 Regular

Thank you Joe777
    But I was really referring autofocus lenses.
    Cute picture though :smile:

6. Jorg.S

Jorg.S Mu-43 Regular

Hi DeeJayK,

The AF lenses don't have a aperture ring but have a little piece sticking out that controls the aperture from the body, so it is semi electronic controlled.

The adapters that I saw pictures of have a ring on them that says open / closed on it and that will let you control the aperture so I think.
    Since they don't have any numbers on them it would seem that it would be a guess work and of course would show stopped down when viewing the picture in live view.

This is of course what I think and was hoping that someone here has bought on of those adapters and can tell me how it works and what it looks like when working with it.

Thanks,
    Jorg

7. quatchi

quatchi Mu-43 Veteran

May 17, 2012
    Munich, Germany
    I have a rather cheap adapter with a manual aperture ring on it. I use it mainly with the Minolta AF 50/1.7 and 50/2.8 Macro. As already posted, there is no exact feedback on the choosen aperture but this never bothered me.

Here is a picture I took with the 50/1.7 on the G1.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Jorg.S

Jorg.S Mu-43 Regular

Thank you quatchi,

Is it one of the adapters where the ring shows open and closed ?
    Better yet would you have a link on where you purchased the adapter.

Thanks,
    Jorg

9. quatchi

quatchi Mu-43 Veteran

May 17, 2012
    Munich, Germany
    I am afraid, I have no idea anymore where I got it from. It probably was from an eBay seller.

I snapped a picture from the adapter. It shows the aperture ring (lock <-> open). The silver pin on the left is used to unlock the mounted Minolta AF lens and the black pin on the inside (opposite of the silver one) is moved by the aperture ring. It controls the aperture blades on the lens.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Jorg.S

Jorg.S Mu-43 Regular

Thank you so much!

This confirms of how I thought it would work.
    Now is time of hunting one down and buy it.
    Can't wait to use some of my better lenses on the epl1.

Thanks,
    Jorg

11. Jorg.S

Jorg.S Mu-43 Regular

So I just ordered me an Rainbow Imaging adapter for the Sony Minolta AF lenses from Amazon.

Should be here by the end of the week hopefully.
    I'm very excited to use it with some of my lenses :biggrin:
    There are a few I was thinking of selling as they are redundant in my collection but would probably do great with :43: like an old Minolta 100-200 AF lens and an old Sigma 50mm 2.8 macro lens.
    The auto focus on the Sigma lens is very loud and makes crunching sounds but is normal on that lens I was told.
    I also have an older Sigma 75 - 300 APO Macro lens that I held onto even though I have the Sony G version of it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002Z3TDM6/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

I will update this post once I get it and have been able to use it.

12. santiclaws

santiclaws Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2012
    I just received that one from Rainbow Imaging this morning. Very solidly built is all I can tell you at this moment as I'm still waiting for my first m43 camera to show up, hopefully later today. I am real anxious to try it out on my collection of Alpha/Maxxum glass.

13. Jorg.S

Jorg.S Mu-43 Regular

That's awesome, glad to see I'm not alone.
    Welcome to the forum santiclaws.
    What camera did you buy?
    Also when you have a chance could you mount the adapter onto a lens and see how well that Open / Close will operate the aperture.

Thanks,
    Jorg

14. santiclaws

santiclaws Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2012
    Jorg,

Thanks for the welcome. I got a used E-PL1 from a user on this forum. I'll try out the adapter the first chance I get (hopefully tonight) and report back. From what I've read, the big challenge will be manually focusing with the EPL-1 screen. I might need to buy an EVF.

15. Jorg.S

Jorg.S Mu-43 Regular

That's the same camera I have, it is really a good box once you learn to get around some of the quirks.

But yes manual focus without an EVF will be very hard.
    I use the EVF 3 and it completely changed the camera for me.
    The cheapest place I found for the EVF's is cameta.com

For some reason I can't get myself to upgrade the body because I just love that little cam.
    It is not too small like the Epm1 and really works very well.
    I'm constantly amazed as how well the pics come out of this box.
    Oh and the first thing you want to do is activate that hidden menu and the SCP layout in the little gear section on the menu.

16. hinata76

hinata76 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 21, 2012
    Singapore
    Olympus EP2 with Sony 30mm F2.8 Marco lens.

on Nokia 8800

Attached Files:

17. Jorg.S

Jorg.S Mu-43 Regular

Wow those are very nice.
    How are you getting along with the aperture control on the adapter?

Thanks,
    Jorg

• Like Like x 1
  18. hinata76

hinata76 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 21, 2012
    Singapore
    Pretty smooth.paid mine for about sgd$28? Solid piece..loving it...might get a MD adapter soon!

on Nokia 8800

• Like Like x 1
  19. Jorg.S

Jorg.S Mu-43 Regular

Thank you Hinata76,

I purchased my adapter from Amazon 2 days ago and have not gotten a ship notification yet, bummer.
    I was really wanting to try it this weekend.
    I just pulled out my Minolta 100-200 4.5 and this lens is nice and small.
    Can't wait to try them all out.

What camera are you shooting with?
    I use the oldie but goodie Epl 1.

Thanks,
    Jorg

20. santiclaws

santiclaws Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2012
    I played with my adapter from Rainbow Imaging a bit yesterday. It is as advertised, everything fits like it should, it is a very solid and well-built hunk of metal. The aperture control ring works just fine, but of course, you have to eyeball the aperture. I think I will use this mostly with my primes, and mostly wide open, so that is not that much of an issue for me. Getting the focus right wide open is a bear, of course, using the screen. Might have to get an EVF. Overall, I'm happy with it.

• Like Like x 1