1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Has anyone used a slide copier?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by RSilva, May 7, 2012.

1. RSilva

RSilva Mu-43 Regular

Oct 24, 2011
    Portugal
    This may sound silly but there used to be slide copiers to attach to a macro lens. Could this be a good and cheap replacement for a film scanner if used with a digital camera?

2. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis
    You mean a contraption like this:
    ese28_4500.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I'd recommend a used slide scanner, or a flat bed with film/slide scanning capabilities. If you get it used, it would be fairly affordable. A used Epson 4490 can be had for under $70 if you look around.

But I suppose it all depends on how well you want them copied vs cost etc. Here's a nice comparison I found of different ways to make digital copies of slides: Comparing Methods to Transfer Slides to Digital

3. steve16823

steve16823 Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 26, 2011
    Brookfield, IL
    I have a Nikon ES-1 that I've used with my 50mm f/2 Digital Zuiko for some quick and dirty slide scans of old family slides. At the time I was looking for speed over perfection and easily scanned 50-60 old family slides in 20 minutes. Results were acceptable to me, although I should have spent more time making sure the slides were clean.

The ES-1 required an extension tube to achieve the proper framing with the 50mm but I understand it works well with the 35mm macro. I've sold all my 4/3 gear so at the moment I don't have a macro lens to use it with.

P6213605.JPG

4. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Sep 5, 2011
    Don't even think about using a flatbed for scanning slides. Yes, you'll get images, but the resolution and DR will be terribly limiting.

As for a slide scanner vs. an adapter like shown above, it's not at all clear a dedicated scanner is better. The good ones are pretty expensive, and DR is not likely to be as good as a modern digital camera. If you shoot raw and use a good raw converter (e.g., Lightroom), you'll also have much more control over the final output.

This guy: Home - using a slide copier to do all his slide conversions, and from what I've seen the quality is excellent.

• Like Like x 1
  5. RSilva

RSilva Mu-43 Regular

Oct 24, 2011
    Portugal
    I use a epson V700 to scan neg's and slides but the process is awfull!
    For medium format I get good results with both color neg's or positive film.

But with 35mm film and mainly with black and white, the scanner just can't get all the detail I assume there is, out from my Contax G pics. The noise eat's up all of the detail - seems the v700 will produce more noise when the grain as a similar size/distribution has the pixel sensor matrix.

Also, film flatness is very very difficult to deal with and wet mounting 35mm film is a joke.

I will be using in the future only fine grain emulsions but for my old pics there's nothing to do about it.

Any dedicated 35mm scanner recommendation?

6. RSilva

RSilva Mu-43 Regular

Oct 24, 2011
    Portugal
    I would say from this image that the image retains detail but there's a lot of shadow loss. Did you try bracketing exposure?

7. harrysue

harrysue Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2011
    The original slide copiers used cheap close up lenses with your standard 50mm. My results with one were mediocre. If you have a good macro lens, you can use the slide hold part of the copier to make a rig that will work OK for well exposed slides. Not owning a macro, I used extension tubes and a 28mm or 35mm legacy lens. Poorly exposed slides or bright/dark slides don't copy.

Dust/dirt is always a problem with any method. I've used the manual feed scanners and they are very tedious. I have a cheap Plustek, but not the better models that uses IR to detect/remove effects of dust. It still takes several minutes per slide, and is very grainy.

Finally, I am happy with my Epson V500 flatbed for quick copies of either slides/film and it's the only thing I have for 620/120 roll film.

8. steve16823

steve16823 Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 26, 2011
    Brookfield, IL
    If I remember correctly, I did bracket the exposure and chose the best rendition. And I was shooting JPEG on an E-330. The source material was not very high quality, but I no longer have the originals, so I can't really comment on how much dynamic range was lost. I need to get a new macro lens so I can try it with some of my own slides.

• Like Like x 1
  9. RSilva

RSilva Mu-43 Regular

Oct 24, 2011
    Portugal
    The reason why I was thinking about a slide copier is because I own two macro lenses, the 4/50 smc macro Takumar and the 4/100 macro Takumar being the 4/50 out of this world sharp.

Here two scanned images with Epson V700 (2800dpi 48bit color) from Contax G + Zeiss 2.8/28mm and agfa APX 100:
    Agfa_APX100_020.jpg
    Agfa_APX100_031.jpg

And the Olympus E-p1 + Olympus 1.8/45mm combo:
    PC262654.jpg

What do you think?

10. trondkj

trondkj Mu-43 Rookie

May 8, 2012
    I have an old slide copier that fits on the 12-50mm, and I can focus close enough to almost fill the image sensor. With better results than I got with the EOS 5DII and dedicated macro lenses. Pretty good for a kit lens, I believe :) 

11. songs2001

songs2001 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.