Has anyone used a Lu.ma strap?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by DarrenG, Jan 18, 2011.

1. DarrenG

DarrenG Mu-43 Regular

Jan 3, 2011
    Hampshire, UK
    These look like an ideal solution for my needs. I need a strap that allows me to carry it comfortably satchel style over head and shoulder but also be able to bring it up to eye level.

The solutions from Lu.ma, here and Op/Tech's similar Utility Strap here look perfect.

Has anyone used either, do they work, any catches?

2. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Darren,
    The sling straps work very well. I use 1 in the warmer weather.
    All in all, I use a Luigi thin neck strap. It is very supple and can work as a wrist strap as well.

3. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I think I've tried most of the sling straps out there and personally love the concept of sliding the camera up the strap and wearing it on the hip rather than lifting it off of my chest or belly to shoot - easier to keep a hand on it to steady it as you move around and right there when you want it. Many of the commercially available slings are overkill for the relatively small cameras in the m43 line, although they certainly work. Luma developed the Loopit, the lower priced of their options, with smaller cameras like m43 in mind. Its what I'm currently using and I really like it. Its arguably no better than others or what you can do with a home-made sling, but I really like the lanyards they're using now that allows you to stick any number of lanyards on different cameras and switch the strap between cameras pretty much instantly. Its a bit more expensive than the OpTech ($35 against $25), but to me its worth it.

-Ray

4. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I've been eyeing the luma. I have a homemade strap but its wider than I care for and the lanyard/tether looks really nice.

5. DarrenG

DarrenG Mu-43 Regular

Jan 3, 2011
    Hampshire, UK
    I think the Luma is the one I'd prefer, just need them to get some stock in :(

6. aznmochamike

aznmochamike Mu-43 Regular

Jan 4, 2011
    California
    I made a home version of it myself and it works great... I had an M4 gun sling laying around the house and used that... i kinda copied a friend who had a similar strap for his leica =)

7. DarrenG

DarrenG Mu-43 Regular

Jan 3, 2011
    Hampshire, UK
    Actually that's a good idea, I already have an Op/Tech hand strap with quick disconnect. If I can find some webbing of the right width I can make one.

8. Otto

Otto Mu-43 Regular

Apr 9, 2010
    Texas, USA
    It would be great to see some detailed photos of the home-made straps as I, too, would like to make my own. Also, sources of various components would be great.

Thanks to the OP for posting this.

Good shooting,
    Otto...

9. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    I'm on the waiting list for the luma loopit..perhaps a bit of a price premium for a simple product, but looks solidly built.

10. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

made my own.... hardware store for nylon strapping, stainless steel spring loaded latch, plastic buckles for adjustment, part of a quick release plate and a plastic washer dug out of a junk box.

It works pretty darn well. I still use the strap but now with the Gariz leather half case that has a built in loop underneath. Originally intended for carrying a panny lx3 underneath my coat

• Like Like x 1
  11. squidbrand

squidbrand Mu-43 Regular

Dec 22, 2010
    Hà Nội, Việt Nam
    I use the Luma Loop and I love it. I've got the older version, from before they introduced the LoopIt, with a plastic buckle instead of the new connector. The lanyard connector sets it far above any thread-mount slings for me because I like to leave my tripod plate attached at all times. I also just really like the way the company presents itself. They seem like genuine dorks for quality and integrity, in a way that makes me trust the product.

Speaking of price premiums... $35 for a strap with a custom metal button-release pin, which you wouldn't be able to cobble together yourself, is one thing. This is another. It's 25 bucks for a few cents' worth of stock materials that aren't specialized whatsoever, and the way the guy blabs and blabs about the components makes him seem like a kooky charlatan.

Jesus christ dude, they're two keyrings that you can buy from any hardware store on the planet for about one cent, why have you spent over a minute telling me about keyrings? Just tell me it attaches with a keyring!

12. Kosta

Kosta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 29, 2010
    Australia
    the loopit is a great idea. i plan to get one when next available. i hate having my camera sit on my chest/stomach whilst walking around. i think this is much better.

thanks!

13. DarrenG

DarrenG Mu-43 Regular

Jan 3, 2011
    Hampshire, UK
    As an update, Lu.ma said they weren't expecting stock until next week which wasn't enough time to get one to me in the UK before I travel to MWC in Barcelona.

So I plumped for the Op/Tech Utility Strap which does the same thing. It works well, is very comfortable and has the added benefit of compatibility with the Op/tech hand strap and the strap I have on my Nikon DSLR.

14. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Here is some info: https://www.mu-43.com/f67/insanely-long-detailed-review-3-sling-straps-2901/index2.html#post65659. There is a photo in post #19, just above and the thing is described in post #15.

Since I made my strap I have seen the lu.ma system. It uses what appears to be a standard pushbutton release rifle sling swivel (World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools - BROWNELLS) with a custom-machined thimble on their lanyard. I think that would be a better solution than the key ring, though heavier, because of the release feature. There are times I don't want the strap, but disconnecting the camera is a PITA, so I usually leave it.

15. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    FYI the loop it is now in stock again! Just ordered mine.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Kosta

Kosta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 29, 2010
    Australia
    just got the email and ordered mine too. :)

17. Ducati_Don

Ducati_Don Mu-43 Regular

Jan 28, 2011
    Vancouver, WA
    Back in stock and made my order also!

18. Ducati_Don

Ducati_Don Mu-43 Regular

Jan 28, 2011
    Vancouver, WA
    I received an email today that my loopit will ship tomorrow!! Sweet.. I hope it arrives before my next long trip!

Don