Has anyone used a 4/3 lens with adpater on a G1 or GF1?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Carlarm, Mar 28, 2010.

1. Carlarm

Carlarm Mu-43 Regular

Jan 24, 2010
    I am considering buying the Olympus 4/3 50mm macro lens plus the 4/3 to micro 4/3 adapter for my G1. The auto-exposure mode is supposed to work but the lens can only be used in manual focus mode. So I'm wondering if the focus assist works with the lens and adapter combination. That is, when you turn the focus ring the camera magnifies the view so you can better see when the subject is in focus. Or will I have to manually invoke the focus assist as I do with my Nikon lens plus adapter? Has anyone used the 4/3 adapter with a lens that doesn't support the auto-focus mode?

2. floppymoose

floppymoose Mu-43 Regular

Feb 22, 2010
    I'm also wondering about this. There is a panny 25mm f1.4 lens in four thirds. Has anyone used it with adapter on a micro four thirds? I'm looking for the fastest prime lens I can get that will still support autofocus on my gf1.

3. soundimageplus

soundimageplus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2010
    Worcestershire
    This link:-
    http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/dsc/connect/g1.html
    tells you which 4/3 lens AF on Panasonic m4/3 cameras.

The 50mm is MF only.

I had a 25mm f1.4 and it worked well. AF was a bit slow. It is BIG though.
    It is a faster lens but I prefer the 20mm f1.7, which to my eyes produces sharper results.

• Like Like x 1
  4. floppymoose

floppymoose Mu-43 Regular

Feb 22, 2010
    Thanks. When you say the 25mm 1.4 focused slow, was that on an oly body or a panny?

5. soundimageplus

soundimageplus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2010
    Worcestershire
    focus

Panasonic - using the Panasonic 4/3 adapter

• Like Like x 1
  6. mspell

mspell New to Mu-43

Apr 2, 2010
    I use the Oly 50mm f/2 macro on my GF1 all the time. It is one of my favorite lenses. No autofocus, but the manual focus assist does pop up after turning the focus ring (assuming it is selected in the menu).

- Marty

7. Carlarm

Carlarm Mu-43 Regular

Jan 24, 2010
    Thanks. I've been waffling between the Panasonic 45mm f2.8 macro and the Olympus 50mm F2. The Panasonic lens is smaller, lighter, has autofocus and image stabilization but the Olympus lens plus adapter is about the same cost, is sharper, is a stop faster and then I'd have the 4/3 adapter in case I wanted to buy another 4/3 lens.

I've got the 20mm f1.7 and the faster lens makes the LCD and EVF much nicer in available light situations. So I'm now leaning towards the Olympus lens.