1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Has anyone use OIS on the latest Kindle Fire tablets?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by GBarrington, Mar 27, 2015.

1. GBarrington

GBarrington Mu-43 Veteran

I originally asked this on DPR, but the discussion quickly degenerated into an ill tempered argument over the value of third party app stores. Hey, it's DPR. I did get one statement that it is possible over there, though I'd hate to make a purchase on the basis of a single positive response.

I'm thinking of upgrading my 1st gen Kindle Fire. And I thought it would be nice to load Olympus Image Share onto it to take advantage of the larger, more easily seen (to my late middle-aged eyes) screen.

I don't intend to use OIS in any way different from the way I use it on my Samsung S5 smartphone. That is, as a pass through to Google drive, to annotate GIS info to certain photos, and as a supplement editor for posting photos to my blog or social media when I'm away from my desktop. I WON'T be using it for any significant long, or short term, storage.

I lean to the Fire, because I'm also an ebook reader and I like the Kindle ebook environment, but if the Fire tablets don't have a suitable version for OIS, I'm willing to look at other Android tablets and use the Android Kindle ebook software.

I am unlikely to consider the iPad, as I am pretty happy with the Android 'universe' overall.

2. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I checked the Amazon app store to no avail.

3. jziegler

jziegler Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2012
    Salem County, New Jersey
    James
    Have you tried to get it on your current Kindle Fire to see if it works at all?

The Amazon store does not have it, but if you can sideload on your Fire, you can try it. I just discovered how to save the .apk of apps on my phone (install the free ES File explorer, open the "fast access" menu top left, select Library, then apps. Long tap the app you want he .apk of, then tap backup at the bottom. The .apk will be saved (it will tell you where). Copy to the other device and install.

Sinice the Kindle Fire OS is based on an older version of Android and does not have Google Play Services, even if it installs, it may not work.

The Kindle app for android works well, but I haven't found a way to put a book on the homescreen (would be useful for my kids). You need to open the app and then select a book. The Fire integrates the apps and books better.

4. GBarrington

Yes, I'm pretty knowledgeable with sideloading to the kindle Fire. I"m pretty sure I can find a copy of the APK somewhere.

I would like to know if anyone has done it and what the results are. The 1st gen Fire would not be a good test since it is so underpowered, and the OS has been upgraded considerably. One would likely never know if a crash or some other problem was from an inherent incompatibility between the 1st gen system and OIS or if the device just didn't have the resources available.

5. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I hope I wasn't contributing to the squabbling over on DPR, I have a hard time letting silly people go uncorrected (I put this down to being a firstborn), so maybe I should be kept away from DPR.

Another possible option might be a USB-OTG cable and a card reader, which is clunkier but doesn't drain your battery using WiFi.

• Like Like x 1
  6. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Sorry, did a search and apparently the KF won't support USB OTG. :(

7. GBarrington

LOL! There are times when I think we would all benefit from less involvement "over there"! I know I would. I posted this question here, because so far I only got one real response to my question over there, and I thought the posters here might be a bit more knowledgeable about the issue and have opinions based on knowledge rather than belief.

As you know, people on that site often rely on faith rather than knowledge to help form their opinions!

I'm getting the sinking feeling though that OIS isn't used much at all. Certainly not enough for people to have had time to start thinking about extending its use into new territory. It might help though if Olympus expanded its use to include raw images as well as jpgs. and allowed for simple raw development at the OIS level.

8. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I'm highly curious myself because I've been thinking a lot about getting a new KF. It would be nice if the OIShare app worked well on it, since it barely ever decides to work on my Nexus 6 (this phone is a story of bugs, which comes with the territory I suppose when you are an "early adopter"). I've been thinking of setting the app to import smaller files and using those for social media, instead of relying on my desktop, which I never feel like sitting in front of when I get home from work!

9. GBarrington

Well now that Amazon is now offering unlimited photo storage for $12/US per year, maybe Olympus should start talking to the KF product manager!

10. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Correction to earlier: it looks like the KF 4th gen does indeed support USB-OTG, because as I looked into buying one today (haven't pulled the trigger), Amazon offered me a cable set that includes a USB-OTG and claims it works with USB2 devices including flash drives. So, theoretically a cheap card reader plugged into the small USB-OTG should be readable by the KF... I want to try it out!

11. Jfrader

Jfrader Guest

I'll be interested in your results if you pull the trigger. I was looking at that Fire with an eye toward image viewing and transfer. Even if the cable+USB card reader works for input, I can't see any way to offload image files onto a HDD. Transfers to the "cloud" are just too slow for larger image files.

12. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Well, I have pulled the trigger, I'm at work until later so I haven't been able to give OIShare a try yet, but I did notice that there is a photo transfer utility built into Fire OS now using an OTG cable connected directly to the camera cable. Looks pretty straightforward! Now, to see whether it can handle wireless transfer (I know EyeFi works but would like to avoid using my aged EyeFi card).

13. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Mystery solved! OIShare works just like it should, had to extract the apk from my phone and upload it to OneDrive, then download from there on the KF, but it installed just fine and connects to my EM10 without a hitch!

14. GBarrington

Now THAT is good news!

15. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    To update on Kindle Fire use with OIS, it reliably connects and works with the app, and the newest KFs are pretty color-accurate with their LCDs. The only thing I don't like is the scarcity of editing apps. I like VSCO but the only way to install it is to side-load it, which would be fine, except that I don't have access to download the preset packs I have bought since there's no google play billing on the KF.