Has Anyone Tried the Panny 100-300 on the GX7?

Biro

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Steve
I plan to try it this weekend but I'd like to know if anyone uses the Panasonic 100-300mm zoom often on the GX7 body and what think about the handling, balance and results they get with this combination. Frankly, while the G5 isn't a bad camera at all, the only reason I had it for quite a while was to use lenses like the 100-300 on it. It was necessary because my only other :43: body was the Oly E-PM2. But now I have both the GX7 and the E-M5. So I'm wondering if I need to hang onto the G5. I can always gift it to my niece, who has a small :43: kit. Any feedback is welcome.

DougVaughn

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Doug Vaughn
I rented the 100-300 from LensRentals this weekend and have been playing with it on the E-M1, so I can't comment about the GX7. The lens itself is very nice, although larger than all my other m43 lenses. Here is a shot using the lens wide open at 150mm, f/4.5, and ISO 400. Late afternoon and thin clouds. The second shot is a 100% crop so you can see the detail it picks up.

P4053253.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

P4053252.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

EarthQuake

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I've used the 100-300mm on my EM5 without issue, though it feels a little better on the EM1. I wouldn't imagine you'll have much of an issue on the GX7. The 100-300mm is very close in size/weight to a standard cheap-o 75-300mm DSLR lens, so while large for M43rds, its not so bad that I would really worry about what camera you put it on, though it would probably be a bit weird on a GM1. :biggrin:

Darren Bonner

Mu-43 All-Pro
No experience with the GX7, but I have used the P100-300 on a GF1 for well over a year before I got the G5 and had no problems with it. I just held the lens with my left hand and operated the camera with the right. I have noticed that the GX7 has a larger grip area than the GF1 as the lens mount is more to the left.

Dave Lively

Mu-43 Regular
I use the 100-300 with my GX7 and do not have any issues with the handling. But handling is very subjective. Some people insist on a full deep grip for any lens while others do not mind using the 100-300 with a GM1. In my case I absolutely require a viewfinder with a lens this long and once I have the subject in the viewfinder do not want to have to look away from the viewfinder while changing common camera settings. But I do not feel that deep grip is needed so the GX7 works fine for me.

You obviously have to support the lens with your left hand while holding the camera with the right. At 300mm the field of view is so narrow it sometimes takes a few seconds to locate the subject if you look away to change a setting. The GX7 and 100-300 have enough physical controls that I can adjust ISO, aperture, size and location of focus area, and turn OIS on or off all while looking through the viewfinder.

mcasan

Mu-43 All-Pro
especially with a small camera body, you might want the tripod collar for the lens. Let the back of the lens be the balance point, not the bottom of the camera body. I got two last week that were just under $200 with shipping from Germany.

Drdave944

Mu-43 All-Pro
This lens is great in well lit scenes but not so good in low light unless you use a tripod. It will work fine with the GX7 but I would suggest you purchase the optional eye cup which I had to get from eBay from Japan. The OVF on the GX7 is a little small.

Latest threads

Top Bottom