Has anyone tried the Oly MC14 teleconverter w. Panny 100-300?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by oldracer, Mar 18, 2016.

1. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    I know that the MC14 is advertised as being for the Oly zoom, but I'm wondering if it would produce decent results with the Panny 100-300, used for outdoor wildlilfe.

Looking for actual results, not opinions from people who have not actually tried the combination.

2. leungw

leungw Deal Hunter

May 26, 2011
    NJ
    Willy
    It most likely won't fit. The MC14 has a part that protruce into the back of the Oly 40-150mm.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    Incompatible. ONly works w/ the two pro telephotos.

4. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    You're right. I saw that protrusion in the photos but never thought to check the 100-300. Indeed the rear element is far enough back that it would interfere.

Oh, well. It seemed like a cheaper route to 420mm of reach.:frown:

5. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    IF you're going on Safari, I would recommend getting a 150mm F2 & Teleconverter. The IQ is amazing and they are affordable now and you could also rent or resell it when you return without losing much/if any $. You won't regret it. YMMV

6. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Thanks, but I have found that fixed focal lengths don't work well for me in wildlife type situations. Trying to find an animal, even one that is not moving, with a long lens is like reading a map by looking through a soda straw. Too hard. Also, few shots are an exact fit for whatever fixed focus lens I happen to have mounted. I am a zoom kind of guy. I hauled six lenses to Ethiopia last year, three zooms and three fixed. I never mounted a fixed focus lens the whole time and I sold them all when I returned. Same story on a Tokina 300mm I took to Costa Rica a couple of years ago. Sold it when I got home.

7. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    We loved the 40-150 Pro with and without the TC in Kenya in November. Just wish we had had the 300 Pro as well.

• Like Like x 1
  8. agnieszka

agnieszka Mu-43 Regular

May 1, 2015
    Central Coast, NSW Australia
    Agnieszka
    I have found that, with focus on the mid point and my non-viewfinder (left) eye open, i can scan a scene with my left eye while checking where the lens is pointing with my right (in the viewfinder). Kind of like superimposing one on the other. Takes a bit of practice but works well.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

9. Atom Ant

Atom Ant Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 24, 2012
    Melbourne, OZ
    Adam
    [OT]Jealous.
    My right eye is completely dominant. Not just slightly dominant - when they were tested it was found that while I can see perfectly well with my left eye if my right is closed, if my right eye is open then my brain totally ignores the left.[/OT]

Last edited: Apr 15, 2016