Has anyone tried Greentoe?

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by desmoface, Mar 16, 2014.

1. desmoface

desmoface Mu-43 Regular

Jan 16, 2012
    Sounds promising [video=youtube;curGcqfkGT0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=curGcqfkGT0[/video]

Adorama is one of their major retailers.

Steve

• Like Like x 2
  2. csgardner45

csgardner45 Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 23, 2013
    There's a pretty long thread about them over on the POTN forums market watch forum. From what I gather, if you place a bid on something whatever they counter with will be the lowest they will go on the product and it's not worth haggling any further. That said, there is usually a pretty decent discount to be had and it looks like they've finally added some m43 stuff!

• Like Like x 1
  3. desmoface

desmoface Mu-43 Regular

Jan 16, 2012
    I was looking for the new oly 25mm f1.8, but no joy. Still, looks like a neat site.

Steve

4. imgene

imgene New to Mu-43

Feb 17, 2014
    Did a test run and was offered $50 off the retail price as best match by a reputable dealer. If your bid is too low, they will contact you via email offering the best available price.

• Like Like x 1
  5. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    • Like Like x 2
  6. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    This Greentoe site looks really interesting as a means of fleshing out unadvertised discounts. I just put in a low-ball bid on an OM-D E-M1 to see what kind of counter-offers I draw. What I'm really curious about is if you need to be close to realistic to draw counter-offers, of if they come to you even after unrealistically low initial offers. I bid $650 on an E-M1 body. Of course I won't get it for that (well, it would be nice if I did, but I'm not under any illusions). But I am hopeful of drawing out counter offers below the $1100 that is currently the best price I've seen.

7. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    Except that Demiro's experience with the Sony RX100Mkiii indicates otherwise: He put in the $685 bid, and initially got a counter-offer of $710 but before he accepted it, he got another vendor to accept his initial bid.

This implies that there are multiple vendors bidding on your business, and that the counter-offer is only an indication of how low THAT vendor will go - others can still beat it.

8. demiro

Nov 7, 2010
    Just for reference, the acceptance of my initial offer was made about 30 minutes after the counter at $710. I don't know which retailer made the counter. You only find that out after acceptance. Presumably it was someone other than Unique Photo. I also should have mentioned that I only allowed two days for responses to my offer. That is the minimum, and the responses came in with maybe ten hours to spare. Longer would theoretically be better, but I am impatient and was just sort of fooling around with it.

9. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    It's interesting that they require a minimum of 2 and up to 7 days for a reply. That indicates that these bids are actually being submitted to vendors and reviewed by the vendors before the reply - in other words, there's NOT a database with each vendor's minimum prices being maintained in semi real time - which is the way Priceline, for example, operates on it's name your own price bidding site.

10. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I had not heard of this site before, looks interesting.

11. gpburdell

gpburdell Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2014
    I put in a lowball offer on an E-M10 kit and received an email a couple hours later seemingly from a real person saying several vendors had responded and giving the lowest counter. Email even compared the counter offer to Amazon pricing. Since each case may be different I'm hesitant to quote actual figures, but suffice to say the counteroffer was slightly higher than what a refurb kit would cost after-tax from Olympus or from Cameta Camera.

I've not pulled the trigger since I'm still considering which config / model I want to go with, but Greentoe seems to be a viable option in the US.

12. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    FYI, I received a counter-offer for my low-ball bid on an OM-D E-M1. The best price that I got, however, was $1100, which was the price that I knew, going in I could get the E-M1 for. As my purpose in submitting this low-ball was to see if I could get any offers that were below $1100, Thus far, the answer is no. I will say, though, that my initial offer was a low-ball of $650 that I knew was far off of what I could get the camera for. I can't say what would have happened if my initial offer had been more realistic - say in the $950-$1050 range.

13. demiro

Nov 7, 2010
    • Like Like x 2
  14. demiro

Nov 7, 2010
    Rec'd the RX100m3 today. All is good.

• Like Like x 1
  15. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    One concern that I have with Greentoe is that they may only have a very few vendors working with them, and if those vendors don't carry the product, or discount the product at all, you don't even get a counter offer. I just put in a bid for the Rokinon 7.5mm lens - not that low, it was $189 for a lens I know I can buy for $263 - and my offer expired without getting any counter offer e-mail.

16. gpburdell

gpburdell Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2014
    interesting that you didn't get a counteroffer at all. I've received guidance from them (aka counteroffer) on my three orders; 40-150mm R lens, FL-600R flash, 60mm macro lens. Flash ended up coming from Mel Pierce and the lenses from UniquePhoto.

Two of the three have arrived now and were just as expected. 100% brand new as best as I could tell, with all packaging and normal warranty cards no different than if I'd bought from anywhere else.

17. demiro

Nov 7, 2010
    The follow through seems a bit inconsistent. I put in an offer on an E-P5 for something like $525 and got a note showing average pricing and saying if I upped my offer to $645 (iirc) it would be accepted. But it was not a normal counter offer, more like "guidance". I think if you put in lots of very low offers you may not get taken seriously and not get as much feedback from Greentoe.

I don't think it matters much, unless you are in a hurry to purchase, in which case Greentoe might not be your best bet.

gpburdell, do you mind sharing what you bid, or more importantly what you ended up paying for those items?

Thanks.

18. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I just ordered a lens and got $110 off, plus applied the POTN $25 off coupon (on $500 or more). For brand new, that's a pretty good savings. I think where it might be worth testing Greentoe out is when the lenses/cameras go on sale and see how much lower the vendors will go on top of sales prices.

19. gpburdell

gpburdell Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2014
    demiro, with the caution that what retailers will accept probably changes day to day (i.e. don't expect identical pricing), here you go:

40-150mm R lens for $120 -- this is less than I'd pay for a used one from KEH or Olympus refurb since I'd pay sales tax on both.
    60mm macro lens for $374 after $25 off $250 Greentoe coupon (received via email); offer was accepted at $399
    FL-600R flash for $225 after $25-off coupon; offer was accepted at $250.

I'd also put in an offer a couple weeks ago on an E-M10 kit with 14-42mm and received a $699 counter ($100 below Amazon / BHphoto) but decided I wanted the 14-42 EZ kit lens instead of the II R kit lens. Since the EZ isn't available in a kit in the US, I ordered my E-M10 via ebay seller goodtrader0301 in South Korea. Stunningly, it arrived here (Atlanta) four days later.

20. demiro

Nov 7, 2010
    Thanks gp, and yeah, you are right that prices are surely not guaranteed for any other buyers. It is good to get a feel for what to expect. Seems like some savings is almost always a possibility, and maybe you get lucky once in a while (for whatever reason) and find a pretty big discount.