Has anyone tried any of the Samyang/Rokinon MF lenses adapted?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Jonathan F/2, May 1, 2012.

1. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm just wondering if anyone has tried any of the various Samyang/Rokinon lenses such as the 85 1.4, 35 1.4, etc.? I've heard they are pretty good performers for the price. If anyone has adapted any I'd love to see a picture of your setup and samples. Thanks!
  2. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Ctein at TheOnlinePhotographer wrote a review of the 85.

3. songs2001

songs2001 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    Here is a review of the 85 here on a M43 camera.

I got one in a Nikon mount.

It handles decently on my EPL1. Bought it to use with my Nikon film cameras and DSLRs.

I suggest getting the Nikon mount for better resale value. The Olympus four thirds mount doesn't really add any value other than saving from buying a Nikon adapter.

That being said, I don't think I have any sample images from the 85 1.4 on my Olympus. I'll upload a pic of the camera and lens later.
  4. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
  5. winx14

winx14 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 1, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY
    I bought the lens on this forum, but I didn't get to use it outdoors yet. First impressions are great bokeh, feels like it has a good build quality and doesn't feel cheap, a bit heavy.

I took a couple of quick indoor images:

I'm pretty sure the lens would be a breeze to use on the E-M5, with the half-press stabilization.
  6. songs2001

Jul 8, 2011
    Lens with Nikon adapter vs the Olympus 40-150.

Lens on EPL1

7. f6cvalkyrie

f6cvalkyrie Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 12, 2010
    Brussels, Belgium
  8. nomilknocry

nomilknocry New to Mu-43

• Like Like x 1
  9. tanngrisnir3

tanngrisnir3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    Thanks for the great idea!

Just ordered a Canon mount one of these bad boys for my g/f's birthday and her 5D

No need to tell her about the EF-M43 mount I got along with it......
  10. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Funny... I was just looking into this lens last night!

For the Nikon version, which mount adapter would be required? I have a Nikon adapter for m43, but it's for the really old Nikkor MF lenses...
  11. songs2001

Jul 8, 2011
    Any Nikon adapter will work. This lens will work with all Nikon cameras as well. There are two versions, one with a metering chip that will let you use the meter in the lower end Nikon cameras and the regular one. Supposedly the metering one has a better coating.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    The Nikon SLR mount has never changed, only the automation coupling, so no worries.

• Like Like x 1
  13. songs2001

Jul 8, 2011
    Nikon changed their IX series of lenses. You can't mount these without modification to the lens when mounting on a DX camera and can't mount these on 35mm film without damage to the mirror.

You can however use these lenses on M43 cameras with any F adapter.
  14. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    I hope they m43ize the 85mm and 35mm.

Like the 8mm > 7.5mm.
  15. jerfo

jerfo Mu-43 Regular

May 5, 2011
    I have the Canon EF mount version of the 85mm f1.4. Unlike most other EF mount lenses, this one gives you manual aperture control. I've had it for a couple months and absolutely love it. The build quality of the lens is solid, although it is a bit on the heavy side. On the other hand, the build quality of the hood is mediocre at best.

I find that it can transform an uninteresting scene into something interesting. Example:

• Like Like x 1
  16. Ertos

Ertos New to Mu-43

Sep 4, 2012