1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Has anyone tried a Hoocap?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Holoholo55, Oct 14, 2015.

1. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    A what, you say? The Hoocap is a combination lens hood and cap. It has panels that flip out to shade the lens and when folded, act as a lens hood. Just for the heck of it, I ordered it from Amazon to test on my Olympus Zuiko 50-200 SWD lens. Those who have this lens know that the hood that comes with it has been compared to a champagne bucket. Something smaller and still effective would be nice. :)

Hoocap DSLR 67mm lens cap + hood shade 2in1 for filter thread lens TR67
    by Hoocap
    Link: http://amzn.com/B00P93OXNS

I encountered this first on eBay where it was listed as being compatible with that lens even though the Hoocap website (http://www.hoocap.com/en/) does not list it as being tested. I'll conduct some tests and report back.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KiWAV-HOOCA...2-8-3-5-SWD-/400977520831?hash=item5d5c1f68bf

• Like Like x 1
  2. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    I was going to 3D print myself a hood cap that I'd designed for my 20mm/1.7, but for some reason I never did (despite having the printer sitting next to me on my desk). I guess I figured it would be a bit too bulky...

upload_2015-10-15_11-9-23.

I do like the idea, though (obviously!)

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Gary5

Gary5 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 15, 2014
    But how will you rotate your polarizer?!?!?!

Just kidding, interested to see how well it works.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    From what I can tell, you would screw the hood into the front of the lens or filter, then rotate the hood. There seems to be a latch that enables you to lock the hood in position. Rotating a polarizer complicates things, and it means that one would have to rotate the hood after setting the polarizer angle. But, I'm not likely to use a polarizer on the 50-200 SWD anyway. The Olympus 50-200 hood is humongous, but it has a little "window" that opens to let you rotate your polarizer.

We'll see. Amazon had it for $10 less than the eBay price, so I'm willing to give it a try. :)

5. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    Cool design.

6. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    Please keep us informed on how well it does. Thanks for this interesting post.
    Bobby

7. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    I went back to the eBay posting and saw the video. It shows that after the Hoocap is mounted on the lens, one may screw in a filter into the Hoocap. It looks like it's the same diameter as the lens front. So, if you use a polarizer, you could screw it into the front of the Hoocap and rotate it like you would normally on the front of your lens. Not sure how well this would work if you wanted to use this hood on a wide-angle lens. Something you'd want to test.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Gary5

Gary5 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 15, 2014
    What hood do you use for PL 42.5? Mine hasn't been outside yet, so I've delayed thinking about it. Is there a way to fix the glue problem, or do I need a 3rd-party hood?

9. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    I haven't resolved the glue leaking on the 42.5mm lens hood so I just keep it unmounted until it's needed and use it as long as I need and remove it as soon as I'm done. In these short mount times (1-2 hours) I see no glue on the lens barrel but if I store the hood mounted on the lens I see the beginnings of trace amounts of glue after 3 or 4 weeks. So I only use the hood when needed and so far it's working.
    Bobby:coffee-30:

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  10. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    A quick update on the Hoocap. I got it last week and mounted it on my 50-200 SWD. The cap seems well made. It's basically a petal shaped hood and the two flaps that form the lens cap flip out to form the top and bottom of the lens hood. One can see this on their website. I left the B&W UV MRC filter on the lens and screwed the Hoocap into it. I could have taken off the filter, screwed the Hoocap on, and then mounted the filter on the threaded area of the Hoocap (same size as the front of the lens, in this case 67mm). One caution, the Hoocap is made of plastic and one must be careful when mounting it as cross-threading with such a large diameter is certainly possible. I almost did that but managed to retrieve it.

The Hoocap is threaded on and then rotated (the hood part is not fixed to the threaded part). Once in the correct position, there is a latch that is used to lock the hood in position. No problem with it rotating once locked. To open the hood, one need only press on a button on the top of the hood and the two leaves are released and spring open. To close it, one folds the lower leaf in first, followed by the top leaf. Pretty simple.

One nice surprise. Hoocap provided a plastic filter wrench with it. I guess that's to help with mounting or unmounting the hood or filters.

It is definitely more compact than the OEM Olympus hood, which has been aptly called a "champagne bucket" by some. However, because of its design, it cannot provide the same amount of shading that the Olympus hood can. The question is, is it sufficient? We'll have to see when I take it out for some soccer game shooting this weekend. :)

My feeling is that the Hoocap is well suited to wide to short tele lenses. Probably not ultra-wides though. The Hoocap site lists lenses that have been tested with it. I didn't see any vignetting with it using the 50-200 SWD, but really didn't expect any because of the design. Whether it's sufficient for the long zoom remains to be seen. I suspect that if one is shooting under difficult conditions where where you are dealing with light sources shining on the front of the lens, the OEM hood will perform better.

I'll add some comparison photos when I shoot some.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1