1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Has anyone thought of moving to full frame?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by memzinla, Nov 1, 2013.

1. memzinla

memzinla Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 31, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    I just don't learn. haha. Canon has a 20 percent off code (ZOMBIE2143) off of refurbished items including the Canon 6D, which comes out to 1215 without taxes. I've been thinking about this all day because if I were to get it I'd have to sell my OM-D kit, and I love it. I also really really love the picture output from the 6D, but I don't like the size. I can't afford to have two systems, and with the 6D I'd probably only have the 40mm pancake lens. With the holidays coming up who knows until when I'll have extra money for another lens. I've added the Canon 6D to my basket, but don't click the checkout button and end up closing the page.

2. Reflector

Reflector Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 31, 2013
    Here is the crazy out of field reply:
    All my F mount lenses are practically 135 format lenses, short of the Sigma 10-20. I have always wanted a D3s for the low light capability* since the D200 is the antithesis of "less than ideal lighting" camera which practically limited me in a lot of circumstances. Now I have an E-M5 and I am very happy with it but I still want a D3s since there is practically nothing that can beat it in the low light performance game still. I do not make a distinction between the formats, as sensor performance is at the pixel level and that can vary so drastically that I cannot make stupid, sweeping generalizations and then justify them by saying "equivalence" in a smug and ignorant manner.

And I still own the D200. Don't sell your OMD and save your money up to buy a 6D in the future if you want. Go ask yourself if the 6D will do anything more for you than the OMD will do right now. If you don't have any significant answers then don't bother, because it just becomes a lame justification for procuring something you didn't have a need for while getting rid of something that functioned fine for you at a loss.

Otherwise, don't let me stop you, I will happily buy your lenses at great discount for myself if they're in great condition. I am one of those people that will happily scavenge the poor, mistreated and unfortunate lenses that belong to sellers that go "I am changing systems" and dumping all their lenses for great prices.

*Go stare at the RAW files at ISO 25600. They make my E-M5 shots at ISO 3200 look bad. Imagine what you can do with some post processing magic with those. Stabilization or not, the inherent advantage of the D3s sensor outweighs anything in the 135, APS-C and m43 sensor formats that I will not back down from obtaining one eventually. As much as I loved the D2Hs for its handling and performance back in the day, the D3s has become that. I would be damned if I could get that level of performance, post processing inclusive of resizing, from a D600/610/800.

3. memzinla

Oct 31, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    One of the reasons I want the Canon 6D is because of high ISO performance and because it has an OVF. I'd love to use it at concerts, but you're right. I think I'm just carried away with the price of the 6D. I should save up my money to buy a lens for my OM-D. I've been wanting to try out the 60mm macro lens.

4. Reflector

Reflector Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 31, 2013
    You should see my shots between ISO 6400 and 25600. I would be hard pressed to find any D600 users from forums that can deliver the same level of low light performance that I have.

Also consider reading my thread with my Nikon 50 1.2, in which I Speedboost it into a 35 0.9 lens. The 6D might perform like the E-M5 @ ISO 12800 when it is at 25600, but do you have enough cash to buy a 50 1.2L? My 50 1.2 was obtained on eBay for 400, the Speedbooster for 450. Now imagine a Sigma 18-35 1.8 turned into a 13-25 1.2 and tell me if there is such a FF lens. Last time I checked, all the zooms are 2.8s and f/1.2 is 3+1/3 stops away. (You can feel free to give the 6D another stop of performance if you resize the images, which gets you to "2" stops now.)

Of course this is all with manual focusing, so if you really care about the "high ISO" performance...

5. memzinla

Oct 31, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    You should post your pictures. I have not liked manual focusing on my OM-D. I think it would be different if the OM-D had focus peaking. If I had a FF camera I don't think I'd buy a zoom because of the weight. If I had that much money I'd just keep both my OM-D and the 6D.

What I think makes me obtain clean files on the OM-D is IBIS. I can take 1 second pictures to help keep ISO low, but that won't help when I want to shoot something to freeze action.

6. Reflector

Reflector Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 31, 2013
    https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=52850

I save my very best photos for myself and my close photographer friends. Most of those are basically demo shots.

You can always save up for another camera, even if it takes close to a decade.

Edit: I don't use the focus peaking hack that much, I just use a 5x magnify.

7. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Well, each to their own, but I'm one of the many here who came to u43 from FF and I have absolutely no intention of returning.

Big, heavy bodies, even bigger lenses, no EVF (I'm serious here - the EVF has so much to offer over an OVF), no "live time", no IBIS, ...

WHat will the 6d and a single 40mm pancake give you that the E-M5 won't? - except maybe a lot of frustration in needing more lenses.

8. Reflector

Reflector Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 31, 2013
    I just want to bring something humorous up: When the "very aggressively pro FF" people bring up how 135 is better than m43s, they will use the same reasoning to defend themselves when medium format is brought up against them. (Replace IBIS with lens stabilization and you're practically almost there.)

9. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

If the new Nikon Df isn't too expensive I will be getting one and it is full frame. I have been tempted many times to get a refurb Nikon FF but always resisted. The new body will add several features on top of FF that I can't resist{ability to use ALL F lenses with metering and classic manual interface}.

• Like Like x 1
  10. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    Ditch the M5 and get a P5 with a VF-4. Now you look hip and cool, still have that awesome 5D IBIS but also an upgraded evf. And now you have focus peaking and can start to play with manual focus lenses. Not that you need focus peaking - like reflector, I'm mostly happy with the magnification.

Just an idea if you have too much money :biggrin:

11. hodad66

hodad66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 27, 2010
    Indialantic, Florida
    The Sony A7 has given me GAS as I have so many legacy
    lenses & would love to see how they perform. I also enjoy
    using my NEX 7 and almost sold all of my m4/3 gear to
    finance this switch. INSTEAD, I picked up a used OMD &
    will see what the old glass is like with IBIS.

12. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    3 AM, can't sleep, kind of lonely, random thoughts of FF sneak into my head . . .

However, the next day I see my checking account and all becomes clear.

• Like Like x 6
  13. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    If and when Olympus or Sony (or even anybody else) comes out with what is almost exactly the E-M1 (plus a second SD card slot) with a FF sensor I will be tempted. Most probably will use it 50-50 with the E-M1. Until then, I can't justify owning either a heavy and expensive beast of a camera or one with exactly 3 native lenses (A7/A7R), for the 5% of the cases I do need the better IQ, noise performance, etc.

14. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Short answer: no. Long answer: no. :biggrin:

• Like Like x 2
  15. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    I'd love a FF camera at some point. I have never had a digital FF camera and have wanted one since the original 5D, but the combination of cost and capabilities never fit for me. I used to shoot much more action and in the Canon world that meant the top of the line was the 1D non "S" series cameras, not the full frame ones. But I couldn't afford those for a hobby either so I stuck with the XXD line. Now that I don't shoot action very much (still moving, but not so much action), a 6D would be great. But I sold all my FF lenses that I could have used on one and besides my favorite (the 70-200 2.8) is a beast of a lens to carry around for long. I think I'll just stay with u4/3 and spend money on lenses and upgrade to last years new hot camera at fire sale prices all along.

16. bluzcity

bluzcity Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2012
    Memphis, TN
    Brent
    I have an EM-5 and a 5D MKII. I really thought I would use them equally, but in truth, do not. The EM-5 gets more use use because of size, weight, IBIS, and viewfinder live view capabilities. I do use the 5D and love its rendering, but seriously; there is a chance that FF can appear as a mirage in the desert.

17. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    The A7r is the only FF other than a Leica that would interest me.

But in the end the file sizes deter me. I even have some adapted glass I could use with it, but dealing with 75 MB RAW files is just not interesting.

18. Mijo

Mijo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 23, 2012
    San Francisco, CA
    I went back to FF several months ago and haven't touched my mu4/3 gear since, but I still have it as my wife prefers using mu4/3. I went back to FF b/c I wanted a system that I could shoot both film and digital with the same set of lenses. If mu4/3 had film bodies, I wouldn't have bothered with FF at all.

19. gochugogi

gochugogi Mu-43 Veteran

I never left FF and feel like FF and M43 gives me the best of both worlds. But, yeah, the 6D for 12 bills is a deal and tempting but the garage is getting' full...

20. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    That is a great deal!

I had a 6D for a bit this year... had been tempted a long time to get a serious full-frame DSLR. I really liked the camera. A few things that I liked best were the GPS for my country road driving, center point focus lock/great AF speed in very dark conditions, and the fact that the files were sooooo great at high ISOs.

I ended up selling the camera because I really missed using an EVF. Yeah, the OVF experience on the 6D was beautiful, but I really missed the histogram and preview of exposure. This is probably more because it was my first DSLR, but I had a lot of challenge nailing the exposure correctly. Yeah, you can work the files hard, but at base ISO, my E-M5 had better DR.