1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Has anyone taken their E-PL1 out in the weather?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by johnny9fingers, Dec 26, 2010.

1. johnny9fingers

johnny9fingers Mu-43 Veteran

Hi all, I hope you had a very Merry Christmas. As I baby my gear, my E-PL1 gets packed away when the weather turns for the worse. Has anyone used their E-PL1 in the rain or snow? If so, did anything bad happen?
    Thanks,
    John

2. Kosta

Kosta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 29, 2010
    Australia
    i've used it in light rain, with no side effects, but i shielded it as much as i could.

given it's not weather sealed, i wouldn't recommend using it in the rain!

3. BAKatz

BAKatz Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 9, 2010
    Riverdale, NY
    i dont take it out if its raining or snowing. if its cold out, when i bring it back inside, i take the lens off for a couple of hours so no condensation builds up...

4. pictor

pictor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 17, 2010
    But if you do that and the camera is cold, then this will make it much more likely that condensation builds up. It is better to let the camera get warmer slowly. I remove the memory card in the cold and leave the camera in my bag, which is isolated quite well, for about one or two hours.

• Like Like x 1
  5. antithetic

antithetic Mu-43 Regular

Jun 7, 2010
    City of Angels
    Snowy Commute

I've taken my E-PL1 out in both rainy and snowy conditions. With rain, I wrapped my camera in a plastic bag to shield as much droplets of water as possible.

In snow, depending on the temperature, I generally haven't covered it up like with rain but I shield it as much as possible. I wipe down the camera numerous times as it slowly heats up to room temperature after a long stint outside.

5303828734_d0ded3be42_b.

6. Timm

Timm Mu-43 Regular

Aug 30, 2010
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    I have to agree with Pictor, let it warm slowly in the bag. Generally the humidity levels in the winter are very low outside. Any condensation would come from the humidity inside your house.

If it is wet when you come inside then that is a whole different problem.

7. scantron

scantron Mu-43 Regular

May 10, 2010
    I take a large zip lock bag with a pack of desiccant in it with me when I shoot in cold weather. As I'm coming inside I put my camera (with lens attached) in it, zip it up, put it in my camera bag and let it slowly warm up to room temperature. Same goes for any DSLR.

I don't shoot in pouring rain though. Wish I could!