Has anyone switched to the Oly 45mm from the Pen F 40mm?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by labcoatguy, Oct 24, 2011.

1. labcoatguy

labcoatguy Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2011
    Cambridge, MA, US
    Title says it all. For an extra $100-150 over the street price of the Pen F 40mm f/1.4, I'd gain autofocus but lose the ability to do easy zone focusing and a bit of lens speed. The Pen F 40 is quite soft wide open so I usually shoot stopped down, so the speed issue is negated, so it's somewhat of a dead heat for me at the moment. While I figure out if the gains and losses are worth it to me, has anyone else made this switch? If so, how'd it work out?
  2. API75

API75 Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 11, 2010
    Now I have both...

Optically, the 45mm is better, with less curvature (sometimes, with busy backgrounds such as foliage, the 40mm returns swirly bookeh), and already as sharp as needed at 1.8.
    Speed difference is not so overwhelming, also considering that the 45mm is sharp already wide-open.
    Also zone-focusing is not so easy with a 80mm equivalent: I end up in focusing a spot and then wait for the subject to come... but i can easily do it by pre-focusing the 45mm.
    However, I find it very difficult to sell the 40mm because it feels good, I know you all know what I mean.
    They are so similar when the 40 is mounted on the adapter!
    (If only the 37mm olympus 'logo' cap was cheaper...)

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3