Has anyone switched from the em5mkll to the em1mkll?

Acraftman

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I am sure its probably just gas or the grass is greener syndrome but I am wondering, since I do plan on continuing my hobby photography how much more pleased I would be if I purchased a used em1mkll. I have had the 5mkll for three years and am (pretty) happy with it though it can be finicky at times.I have done a search for side by side comparisons but have only found a spec sheet type with the finial conclusion, quote:
(Olympus E-M1 II has a higher Overall Score thanks to its better image quality and more features compared to Olympus E-M5 II. On the other hand the Olympus E-M5 II beats Olympus E-M1 II in two significant areas: Value for Money and Compactness.
If you are a price conscious buyer and looking for a small and relatively low priced camera where you can take everywhere with you, Olympus E-M5 II is the right choice for you.If you are after the better photographic performance with all the advanced features, definitely get the Olympus E-M1 II.)
I recently held the 1mkll and it felt very comfortable in my hand and now that those two areas are moot since I can buy used it comes down to would it be a noticeable difference to a hobbiest shooter like me.So has anyone BTDT and what is the verdict.

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend
I went from an E-M5 to and E-M1 to an E-M1 Mk2. The thing that clinched the upgrade to the E-M1 series for me was the bigger EVF, grip, and C-AF. I use some of the bigger lenses in the system so the grip feels a lot more secure.

What would you be looking for?

I have had the EM5 MKII since the week it came out and just got the EM1 MKII. I will say that the EM1 is quite a bit larger so more noticeable if I’m out on the street. It pairs nicely with the 12-100 Pro lens (it seemed too large for the EM5 so I didn’t use it much). The autofocus is substantially better on the EM1 MKII - in real use - and the battery life is better with a larger battery. That said I still really love the EM5 MKII and carry it in my bag as a second camera and take it when I want to travel light. It really comes down to what you’re going to use it for and how much you have to spend. Also if you have any stuff like a remote release compatible with the EM5, EM10, etc. it won’t work on the EM1 MKII - the connector is different.

ac12

Mu-43 All-Pro
Larger size and heavier weight on the EM1-mk2.
This is a pro/con with no easy answer.​
If your hand is BIG, then the EM5 might feel small. If your hand is small, the EM1 might feel big.​
For travel, you may prefer the lighter EM5.​
Or the EM1-mk1 as a compromise, especially since the EM1-mk1 are selling in the $300s used.​
If you need CAF then you want the EM1-mk2. Only the EM1 series has PDAF.
The EM1 does not have a pop-up flash. Which is sometimes handy to have.

If you want to plan for the future. It is the future lenses with OIS and Sync IS.
The two Olympus lenses with OIS/Sync IS (the 12-100/4 and 300/4), suck battery power. So your battery life will drop.
My EM1-mk1 ran 4 hours (continuous on) with a non stabilized lens, down to 2-1/2 hours with the 12-100/4 with Sync IS on.
The larger battery in the EM1-mk2 would give you a longer run time with those power hungry lenses.

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend
The E-M5s don't have a pop-up flash either. In fact the E-M1 Mk2 has the same FL-LM3 tilting accessory flash as the E-M5 Mk2. It's a nice little unit thanks to being able to provide a little bounce illumination in a pinch. I never used the FL-LM2 since it couldn't bounce.

Acraftman

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I went from an E-M5 to and E-M1 to an E-M1 Mk2. The thing that clinched the upgrade to the E-M1 series for me was the bigger EVF, grip, and C-AF. I use some of the bigger lenses in the system so the grip feels a lot more secure.

What would you be looking for?
I am really not sure if its just my (lack of) technique or if there really are some features that would help with the feeling that the dynamic range, noise level and focus acquisition would be better, I am a firm believer that its the person doing the shooting but also different cameras render different out put.I have the 7-14, 14-40,40-150,and 60 all at 2.8 so I feel pretty committed and also happy with this selection, I am really thinking of getting the 2.0 teleconverter which would put me in a I have all I need place, I was thinking of selling the 5mkll but like runner girl maybe I should just keep it. I have the two pc grip on it 98% of the time so the size really doesn't bother me like I said I held the 1mkll and it still felt pretty small in my hand.

Acraftman

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I have had the EM5 MKII since the week it came out and just got the EM1 MKII. I will say that the EM1 is quite a bit larger so more noticeable if I’m out on the street. It pairs nicely with the 12-100 Pro lens (it seemed too large for the EM5 so I didn’t use it much). The autofocus is substantially better on the EM1 MKII - in real use - and the battery life is better with a larger battery. That said I still really love the EM5 MKII and carry it in my bag as a second camera and take it when I want to travel light. It really comes down to what you’re going to use it for and how much you have to spend. Also if you have any stuff like a remote release compatible with the EM5, EM10, etc. it won’t work on the EM1 MKII - the connector is different.
Do you feel you have noticed any difference in the quality of the pictures you make with the 1mkll? I really don't print but even on my monitor it seems the noise levels on my 5mkll can be annoying even using all the tricks like ettr,low as possible shutter speed to keep iso down etc.

Bushboy

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Charlie
I bet there’s plenty of rubbish pictures taken with the Olympus show pony...
But really, once you start thinking like this, there’s only one way out...

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend
There was negligible difference in IQ in my progression. The 4 MP bump in resolution is nice for being able to crop a little more when needing reach for wildlife, but that's about it. Is DR better? Maybe, but inconsequential for me. AF is better but only at lower light levels or when it comes to C-AF.

I still shoot using a 16 MP GX850 and I don't find the IQ noticeably inferior.

Regarding print - print is actually more forgiving of noise and absolute sharpness than monitor viewing at 100%...

RR Jonny

Mu-43 Veteran
I started out with the EM5 MKII, and I now have two EM1 MKII's. Once I got the first EM1 MKII, the EM5 MKII never got used. I now use both EM1's with different lenses and different presets; both are ususally in the front seat of my truck when I take long rides and are currently next to my door in case something pops into the yard that I want to photograph. I never utilized two cameras when I had the EM5. I found the grip on the EM1 MKII to be very comfortable, and the EM5 was never very comfortable using larger lenses. The CAF was a huge factor for me along with the larger sensor because I take mostly wildlife photos. I am a hobbyist, and I feel that the EM1 Helped me grow as a photographer; the EM5 MKII was my first camera.

I bet there’s plenty of rubbish pictures taken with the Olympus show pony...
But really, once you start thinking like this, there’s only one way out...
Bushboy is spot on with this. Once you start to question your gear, you're going to focus on its shortcomings.

It all depends on the type of shooting you usually do and what your aspirations are; both are fine cameras. For me, the EM1 suited my needs better, and I haven't questioned my decision to switch. Good luck!

Do you feel you have noticed any difference in the quality of the pictures you make with the 1mkll? I really don't print but even on my monitor it seems the noise levels on my 5mkll can be annoying even using all the tricks like ettr,low as possible shutter speed to keep iso down etc.
I do think they are better quality. With both cameras I find setting the “Long Exposure Noise Reduction” to Auto really improves my results. It is annoying to wait but totally worth it. Also remember that the teleconverter currently works with only two lenses - the 40-150 Pro and 300 Pro. It will work with the new (and really expensive) long tele Pro. It does not work with any other lenses.

Last edited:

bassman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
The Bassman
I had an E-M5 (original), and now have an E-M1 and E-M1ii. While the 1ii have slightly more resolution, I can’t honestly say that my images are any better. All of the comments above are more or less correct, but you ought to be asking yourself what is it about the E-M5ii that’s getting in the way of you making better images? In my case, PDAF was a big draw to go to the E-M1 as I used an old 43 50-200 zoom for quite a while. Also, the 1ii has a much bigger battery and I rarely consume it in a day, where I regularly did with the 5 & 1. Finally, the button layout and customization on the 5 was frustrating, where the 1 and 1ii completely solved that issue for me.

I love the E-M1ii. But it’s a lot of money that might be better spent on a lens, or a class, or a trip somewhere interesting.

I went from E-M5 II to E-M1 I to E-M1 II, The M1's are considerably more comfortable and pleasure to use IMO. Also, to my untrained eyes, noise levels are better on E-M1 II than on E-M5 II at the same ISO. But is it worth all the extra money, that's a tough one. For most, spending it on lenses is better. I went with comfort. Even with a L bracket with grip, E-M5 II wasn't good in my hands.

OldRex

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Mark
I started the m4/3 journey with an EM 5.2. For me, like many others, it was a desire to have less to lug around that led me to m4/3. I had stopped taking my Nikon setup with me on trips because I got fed up with carting it around. The EM 5.2 and the smaller lenses really clicked with me and I looked forward to taking them on trips again. I have recently changed up to an EM 1.2 and I love it too. Having said that, on my most recent trip I did find myself missing the smaller size of the EM 5.2 whilst squeezing everything into my carry-on for the trip. Of course there is no way I would switch back. The EM 1.2 is just fantastic to use and more comfortable with the 40-150 pro on it than the EM5.2 was.

mawz

Mu-43 Regular
What lenses do you use and what do you shoot?

If you use Pro lenses, especially the zooms, the E-M1.2 will net significant handling improvements. The E-M5.2 will be smaller and less conspicuous with the smaller lenses, especially the 1.8 primes.

If you ever want to use C-AF, the E-M1.2 is a must. Only 3 Oly bodies have usable C-AF IMHO, and that's the three E-M1's and the E-M1.2 takes this from usable (on the E-M1) to good (on the E-M1.2), the E-M1X is a fractional improvement over the E-M1.2

in terms of IQ, I've generally found 20MP to be almost invisible from 16MP, honestly 24MP is just barely a visible improvement (And I've shot everything from 6MP to 36MP)

Personally I'm using an E-M1 + E-M5.2 pairing, with the latter being my primary body.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom