Has anyone sold their e-m5 for an e-p5? What's your thoughts?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by integra13, Oct 7, 2013.

1. integra13

integra13 Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 8, 2013
    Hi everyone, I am fairly new to mu-43, I was just wondering if many people have sold their e-m5 for an e-p5 and what your thoughts on it are.
    I just bought and e-p5 off ebay with the vf-4, 17 1.8 & 75 1.8 for a quite a low price since the seller only listed it for 24hrs I am assuming it went so low since not many people had a chance to see it.
    I only bought it for the 2 lenses and was going to sell the e-p5 and the vf-4 and I would basically get most of my money back, but now I am asking myself which one should I actually sell the e-p5 or the e-m5??
    I am curious to see what your thoughts are.

Thanks,
    Jack.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Mu-43 mobile app

2. daum

daum Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    Did it and loved it. Basically an EM-5 in a E-P3 body.

3. integra13

integra13 Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 8, 2013
    Thanks daum, the only thing I think might be an issue for me is the grip on the e-p5 and the I don't like the look of the evf, not concerned about weather sealing, but the shutter speed would be of use to me.
    Plus I think I could get a better price for the e-p5 than I would for the e-m5 although I have never seen how much e-p5's go for at auction on ebay, I'll see how it feels in the hand when I get it anyway and see if the price difference can justify keeping the e-p5.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Mu-43 mobile app

4. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    that plus better evf, shutter speed, wifi, lcd, etc love it

5. integra13

integra13 Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 8, 2013
    I just ended up buying one off ebay, I have not even held one yet as no stores have them where I live. Great deal I think, comes with the evf, the 17 1.8 and 75 1.8, even comes with a lowpro bag, not that I need it, and everything is only 2 weeks old, I got it all for $1600 Australian.
    Now to wait for it to arrive...
    How I hate waiting for things!

6. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    That IS a great deal, considering that the lenses alone are worth around $1000

7. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    I may sell my EP5, now that I have the GX7.

While I really love my EP5, sheesh, with the EVF attached, this thing is anything but a svelt camera... it's virtually ungainly! And, if it's not attached, carrying it around for the times when you want an EVF is a bit bothersome.

Yes, the EVF is of good quality... but when Oly comes out with an EP-x, with a GX7-like body, and a good EVF built-in... that will be a significant offering! Panasonic has done it. And now... Olympus???

What is taking Olympus so long to do this? Is the desire to sell high-cost EVF attachments so strong as to justify prolonging the wait for a great, integrated EVF, rangefinder-style camera from Olympus?

Image created with GX7 and 25/1.4 lens.
    P1000011.

Image created with EP5 and 17/1.8 lens.
    VA110222.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  8. MiguelATF

MiguelATF Mu-43 Veteran

Your images are compelling, Don - and offer an interesting real-life/real-world comparison between these two camera. I'll admit, I'm considering both, though at current prices I can't quite justify either; but what I like about the P-series bodies is their smaller size - vs the OM-D E-5 which I honestly find a little too bulky - so looking at your (excellent) photos....brings home the bulkiness of the EP5's add-on EVF.

All other things being equal, I'm leaning towards the camera with an internal EVF.

• Like Like x 1
  9. integra13

integra13 Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 8, 2013
    I just received the e-p5 and while I have been shooting it for half a day and found it to be a great little camera but I simply don't feel the same way about it as I do the om-d, maybe I am just emotionally attached to the om-d. So I think that I will sell the e-p5 and vf -4 despite the benefits that it does have over the om-d, I am not disappointed though because I have been eying off both lenses that it came with for a while now so I keep them both and I will still have got myself a bargain on them as I seen them go for 450 & 800 on ebay auctions recently used that's not much more than what I got the camera and lenses for and I can still sell the bag it came with too.

10. moccaman

moccaman Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Australia
    The two photos are very interesting, the 17mm with EP5 to me has much nicer colour balance and I dont like the bokeh coming from the 25mm in that photo, its just too much, the photo of the GX7 looks more natural. Makes me want the EP5 more for using SOOC jpegs..

11. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Your attraction to the images is far more lens dependent than body dependent. Personally, I know that I can produce quite comparable images between the GX7 and the EP5. What makes the most difference, besides the influence of the image maker, is the lens used. For most shooting situations, it makes little to no difference what m4/3 body you use, if it's current generation. Today's top m4/3 bodies all produce images of roughly comparable quality. YOU can make a difference with your particular skills and abilities and your choice of lenses!

12. moccaman

moccaman Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Australia
    Sure I would agree with that, I have printed a lot of photos from my GF1 with 20mm and Oly 45mm and they are superb, same with prints from my G2 with the same lenses. Looking at the prints from the G5 and same lenses there is a warmer slightly softer feel, all have been raw and processed to give a nice depth to the colours and saturation, a little pop I suppose.

I have aquired an EP3 but havent picked it up yet, I wanted to try Oly to see what I could get from jpeg as I see so many guys using SOOC shots in here with great success. Plus I am taking a lot of indoor family shots these days. The EP5 can be got down here on a great deal right now with the 17 1.8 and EVF4, a friend wants my G5 if I decide to sell it so the EP5 would replace it. Having started with a GF1 due to a like of the small rangefinder shape, I have an attraction to the EP5 kit, I think it would go well with the lenses I have ended up with, 20mm, Oly 45mm, Pana 14-45, 14-140 and 100-300.

Of course me heart is leading the way as I really have more than enough bodies right now LOL! I cant seem to give up the G2, even though the G5 screen and EVF is so nice in hi res, the controls and feel and results from the G2 are all there. Help! :dash2:

13. bigal1000

bigal1000 Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2010
    New Hampshire

14. bigal1000

bigal1000 Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Carrying the VF4 is not really a proplem I carry it in a small pouch on my belt,if I have a coat on I just drop it in a pocket.Not to offend you but I like the Olympus photo better than the one from the GX7.

15. BlackOakMo

BlackOakMo Mu-43 Regular

Jul 10, 2012
    Oxford Mississippi
    I have been following these discussions on all the new camera bodies with a great deal of lust. I love them all but I shoot a lot of sports and need all the reach I can get out of a lens.

So, wrt lenses, wouldn't the EM5 be better for longer lenses, especially with the added grip? I can't imagine trying to shoot with the 100-300mm on any of these range finder type bodies. Maybe for relatively low action shots but not for sports where you need to bring the camera up to your face and start to quickly frame the shot, one handed, before getting everything balanced with the other hand.

(edit, this was supposed to be directed to moccamans post, should have chosen "quote":)

What is your feeling about this since you have used this lens on the gf1, g2, g3 and expect to use it on the ep5?

I am asking more for my own edification because I really don't have any experience shooting with a range finder like body.

thanks

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Mu-43 mobile app

16. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I have the EM5 and demo'd the EP5 and GX7. I'm not selling the EM5 or buying any of the new stuff, but both the EP5 and GX7 are great little cameras. The GX7 has the obvious advantage of a built-in EVF, but the VF-4 for the EP5 is such a mind-blowingly great EVF that I'd almost call that a wash. Or it makes me more interested in the EM1 which has that great VF-4 EVF integrated into the body, albeit in a hump. The faster shutter speed of the EP5 / EM1 and the ability to lock in a smaller AF box are both really nice advantages over the EM1. And I guess the EM1 will have marginally better IBIS, but the IBIS in the EM5 and EP5 is already soooo good. I'm not really in the market for another m43 body right now, but if I could comfortably use both long lenses and the Panasonic 7-14 on the same body, I'd probably upgrade to that body. But that would mean a combination of the Olympus IBIS (which steadies an image in the EVF like nobody's business and which the GX7 can't touch) and a Panasonic body so I could use the 7-14 without all of the purple flair that seems to afflict the Olympus bodies. Failing that, I'll stick with my EM5, which handles the 75-300 and 75/f1.8 brilliantly and I'll probably stick to Fuji for my wide angle needs. I have an XE1 with the excellent 14mm prime (21mm equivalent) and will likely buy the 10-24 when it's released (15-36 equivalent - probably as wide as the 7-14 once you figure in the 3:2 aspect ratio). If I have to have two bodies, I'll just stick with Fuji for my wide and ultra-wide lenses and just use m43 for the long end. I'd love to do it all in one body, but that doesn't seem to be happening at this point. If the EM1 somehow avoids the purple flair with the 7-14, I might reconsider, but I'm not holding my breath on that one...

-Ray

17. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    Look at it this way - Once you get a good EVF, you can move it to the next camera, if it doesn't have a finder built-in. You can preserve your investment across cameras just like you can with lenses. I can't disagree with you though that having a big EVF lump on top of the camera is nowhere near as elegant or ergonomic in the transporting as having one built into the body.

18. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Doug... I think that ultimately, I would like to have my rangefinder style bodies with built in EVFs and none which would require an add-on. The exception would be having a really small body like the GM1, which wouldn't use an EVF at all.

I'm hoping that someday Olympus will produce an EP5-like body which does have a built in EVF.

As much as i like the GX7, and have been using it almost exclusively for a week or so, I won't hastily let go of my EP5 and VF4... they really do make a superb imaging combo aside from the bulky and awkward form factor. And while the difference is quite close to insignificant, I think the sensor in the EP5 has a very slight edge over that in the GX7. Factor in the superb 5-axis IBIS and the EP5 really is quite a compelling camera. I really could go either way between the GX7 and the EP5 w/VF4. I prefer the form factor of the GX7 and its grip, but prefer the EVF, IBIS, and slight edge in IQ of the EP5.

19. gochugogi

gochugogi Mu-43 Veteran

I use the VF-4 and, although not beloved as my VF-1 (optical), I can't describe it as ungainly. It weighs almost nothing, is flat black and is tiny as tiny can be! Albeit in the images above it looks larger than it really is due to being the nearest to camera taking the photo. Of course I'm used to using larger cameras so anything Pen sized looks almost microscopic to me.

I was very interested in the E-P5 and GX7 but will likely pass on them unless RSS comes out with an L-plate for them. I use RSS L-plates on both my E-P3 and GX1 and it makes tripod use and holding (more area to grip) much easier than the nekid camera. RRS just announced a L-plate for the E-M1 so my upgrade choice just got a lot easier.

20. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    ^^
    I emailed RRS and got a response saying they will not be making any plates/grips for the E-P5. Very sad. I love the RRS plate I have for my E-M5.