1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Has anyone played with tone control?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Djarum, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    So my E-PL2 has this tone control thing. Basically, it allows you to set the tone curve, which affects contrast and brightness, of the image. I've been playing with it some just to try it out. It allows me to push shadows up and pull highlights down. So far it doesn't appear to effect exposure.

See, when I was playing with the contrast setting for the various color/mode types, this does some similar things too.

One thing I noticed is that if I pull the shadows all the way up ( +7 ) and highlights down ( -7 ), that the WB on the final image did not look right. I could get the overall tone back, but the WB still looked wrong. Keep in mind, in my testing, I was shooting with the same aperature and shutter speed. The shadows look identicle to when using auto gradation to hold shadows, which are slightly noisy when setting the tone curve to +7.

Has anyone had any success with changing or using this feature of the camera?

2. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    I don't use it buy if it doesn't affect the metering it may affect IQ by introducing noise (like auto gradation). I prefer dealing with tone curves in LR.
    By the way I set "ALL WB" to A-2 on my E-PL2 , this way it seems to be more accurate and less warm, pretty much matching my E-PM1 AWB performance

3. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    "ALL WB" to A-2? Could you explain this?

4. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    It's in the camera settings called "ALL WB". E-PL2 by default produces images wich are a little too warm in virtually all situations. New Oly series have "keep WB warm off" in the settings unlike E-Pl2. Now, A-2 takes care of it very nicely.

5. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Thanks, I see what you mean.